Alaska Hawaiian Merger?

Technically it's 1201am (eastern) on the 16th, so in both HNL and SEA, it is tomorrow!

Just out of curiosity, how does HNL feel about this? My only contact at HA is former ATI who went there for the freighter so he’s not too happy. But I’m wondering what the pax side thinks of it.

I’m sitting bottom 10% of the AS list so if this goes through, I’m thinking it will be years to crack 70% seniority but as long as the checks keep coming I’m okay with that

I appreciate the TPA stating no furlough for two years post merger given the (maybe) shakey economic future.

Just out of curiosity, how does HNL feel about this? My only contact at HA is former ATI who went there for the freighter so he’s not too happy. But I’m wondering what the pax side thinks of it.

I’m sitting bottom 10% of the AS list so if this goes through, I’m thinking it will be years to crack 70% seniority but as long as the checks keep coming I’m okay with that

I appreciate the TPA stating no furlough for two years post merger given the (maybe) shakey economic future.

I think there is still a bit of fear over loss of identity (and widebody seats), but in general there is acceptance that this will be the best course of action going forward.

I think there is still a bit of fear over loss of identity (and widebody seats)
I think that’s a realistic expectation but the AS pilot group is sympathetic and welcoming of you guys. I’ve yet to hear anyone say a disparaging thing.

I think that’s a realistic expectation but the AS pilot group is sympathetic and welcoming of you guys. I’ve yet to hear anyone say a disparaging thing.

Some of your more senior guys have been very publicly drooling over the 787. I know it's a very small minority, but it's been enough to set people off. Also the identity *is* going to go away. That' just how mergers work, even if you keep the brand around. The HA type of trips (1 leg and done, long(ish) overnights etc) are going to go away. But there's nothing efficient for a company with 26 hour west coast layovers, or 48 or even 72 hours in Austin or Boston or Auckland.

To add fun to the rumor

With how fringe that Amazon contract is, I can't imagine that he felt any job security at HAL...

To add fun to the rumor

With how fringe that Amazon contract is, I can't imagine that he felt any job security at HAL...
Even the most rabidly conservative, pro free market captains I’ve flown with have grudgingly conceded that the less we have to do with Amazon, the better.

Even the most rabidly conservative, pro free market captains I’ve flown with have grudgingly conceded that the less we have to do with Amazon, the better.

It's unfortunate. The scheduling language is really, really good, but there is a (probably legit) concern about keeping the flying in the future. Right now we've got guys flying 50 hour 7 day pairings, with a positive space commute on at least one end of the trip, if not both.

It's unfortunate. The scheduling language is really, really good, but there is a (probably legit) concern about keeping the flying in the future. Right now we've got guys flying 50 hour 7 day pairings, with a positive space commute on at least one end of the trip, if not both.
Yeah, I don’t mean to cheer any possibility of that flying changing, just that no company that has done much business with Bezos has ended up with a positive experience.

Some of your more senior guys have been very publicly drooling over the 787. I know it's a very small minority, but it's been enough to set people off. Also the identity *is* going to go away. That' just how mergers work, even if you keep the brand around. The HA type of trips (1 leg and done, long(ish) overnights etc) are going to go away. But there's nothing efficient for a company with 26 hour west coast layovers, or 48 or even 72 hours in Austin or Boston or Auckland.

Hopefully the entire training department chases the 787 type and we can finally be rid of them.

Time to learn how to program the missed approach out of Juneau 😂

Hopefully the entire training department chases the 787 type and we can finally be rid of them.

Time to learn how to program the missed approach out of Juneau 😂

Like I was saying... a real fear of loss of identity. It's going to go over super well when a bunch of guys who have been operating widebody aircraft internationally for a very, very long time, start dealing with checkrides put together by a group of guys who haven't flown farther than Spokane in the last 15 years.

Back