Alaska Hawaiian Merger?

We just had a base bid close and here are the results, most junior in each base/seat:

ANC CA: 10/2017
ANC FO: 04/2023

LAX CA: 07/2016
LAX FO: New Hire

PDX CA: 01/2017
PDX FO: 03/2023

SFO CA: 01/2019
SFO FO: New Hire

SEA CA: 05/2018
SEA FO: 08/2023

We just had a base bid close and here are the results, most junior in each base/seat:

ANC CA: 10/2017
ANC FO: 04/2023

LAX CA: 07/2016
LAX FO: New Hire

PDX CA: 01/2017
PDX FO: 03/2023

SFO CA: 01/2019
SFO FO: New Hire

SEA CA: 05/2018
SEA FO: 08/2023

There’s like 25 FOs trying to get to ANC.

I know there’s at least one member newhire here trying to do that. Yikes! Might be a while :(

So it takes about 15 months to hold ANC as an F/O - am I reading that correctly? Is that considered excessive?

That was only true in one of the greatest hiring sprees of… ever.

At one point, some guys were being forced into ANC as newhires. Those days are gone. One class of 10 in Feb will have 1 spot in LA, the rest SF. No further classes until later this year. So until new classes are announced, I doubt there will be vacancy bids.

That was only true in one of the greatest hiring sprees of… ever.

At one point, some guys were being forced into ANC as newhires. Those days are gone. One class of 10 in Feb will have 1 spot in LA, the rest SF. No further classes until later this year. So until new classes are announced, I doubt there will be vacancy bids.

His point (I think) was that guys complaining about having to wait 15 months to hold a domicile is really kind of funny, considering that until recently, for some airlines it could take 15 years to hold a domicile, as FO.

His point (I think) was that guys complaining about having to wait 15 months to hold a domicile is really kind of funny, considering that until recently, for some airlines it could take 15 years to hold a domicile, as FO.

“Those days are gone. This is the new normal.”

I actually do agree with you. And I suck at reading the new list that shows everyone’s preferences, but I think it’s actually 45? Not 25. If so, that’s even worse. I feel for these folks. They want ANC, they came here for that and won’t rage quit for the big 3.

Oh well. As the infamous CA saying goes, “have you tried being more senior?”

Close, in that 15 months sounded “reasonable” to me, but I don’t have 121 experience. So it was more of a genuine question rather than making a point.

Close, in that 15 months sounded “reasonable” to me, but I don’t have 121 experience. So it was more of a genuine question rather than making a point.

That would be reasonable.

But we are/were in the era of everyone was hiring like crazy, street CAs at some majors, and widebody right off the bat to newhires, in just about any base one wanted.

That is now slowing down.

That would be reasonable.

But we are/were in the era of everyone was hiring like crazy, street CAs at some majors, and widebody right off the bat to newhires, in just about any base one wanted.

That is now slowing down.
Is it slowing down or catching up? High number retirements haven’t even started yet.

Over half my class was from Alaska, most Anchorage and one in Fairbanks. We have a group chat and they’re mostly positive but said the commute down to SFO/LAX is a time suck. Luckily FeDEx seems to be a good option if you’re okay commuting through the night.

So it takes about 15 months to hold ANC as an F/O - am I reading that correctly? Is that considered excessive?
15 months as of this position bid, who knows when the next one will be (especially with Max deliveries up in the air, pun intended).
Is it slowing down or catching up? High number retirements haven’t even started yet.
AS retirements are much lower than elsewhere, and most who want ANC would probably only leave for FEDEX/UPS. Soooooo…. Yah. It might be a couple year wait for ANC. However I know some guys who I think had to commute to SEA about that long.

Retirement numbers are so small at Alaska that they are pretty insignificant as far as driving the need for upgrades and vacancies. As has been mentioned here or elsewhere, possible merger, Max issues, age 67, are all contributing to what is pretty likely to be extended stagnation at Alaska.

Reactions: HJB
I would think that in the long run widebodies would help movement at AS. That is after fences come and IF they came to the mainland OR Amazon flying continued/expanded. Of course the opposite would be true HAL pilots.

I would think that in the long run widebodies would help movement at AS. That is after fences come and IF they came to the mainland OR Amazon flying continued/expanded. Of course the opposite would be true HAL pilots.
I thought I read that we’ve had essentially no attrition since the announcement. I’m not sure that you can draw a causal link but that’s one of several reasons for slowing down.

I thought I read that we’ve had essentially no attrition since the announcement. I’m not sure that you can draw a causal link but that’s one of several reasons for slowing down.
I think SD said that during the December all pilot call, which is right when most airlines slow down hiring. So take it with big ol grain of salt. Also hard to have attrition when there hasn’t been much hiring.

I think SD said that during the December all pilot call, which is right when most airlines slow down hiring. So take it with big ol grain of salt. Also hard to have attrition when there hasn’t been much hiring.
It’s too late to edit, but I meant it’s hard to have much *new hire* attrition.

Also depends on hiring at the big 3.

It’s too late to edit, but I meant it’s hard to have much *new hire* attrition.

Also depends on hiring at the big 3.
Yeah what I meant was that someone had tried to make a causal link between the announcement and the reduced attrition, but I’m not at all convinced that’s not just coincidental timing.

Back