AirTran furloughs announced, concessions requested

SlumTodd_Millionaire

Most Hated Member
Since there aren't really any other AirTran pilots here, I figured I'd come out of hiding for the second time today to let everyone know what was announced today. As of now, the company plans to furlough 180 pilots on Sept 1st. No word on the number of Captains being displaced, but it's usually about half of the number furloughed. They are also asking for 11% payrate concessions from the Captains and 8% from the copilots. As I hear more, I'll keep everyone updated.

P.S. Before everyone PMs me, no, this shouldn't reach my seniority, although it's not missing me by too much. A second round of furloughs would probably hit my number, though. I'm preparing for options outside of aviation. It was fun while it lasted, I guess. :(

Damn dude. . .damn damn damn.

Just went to a buddies wedding on Saturday. He's a junior FO over there on the 71. Came over in I think September or October of last year. We talked for about 10 seconds (considering it's a wedding) and that was all we discussed was the furlough possibility for both of us.

Thanks for the unfortunate update Todd. Any news on attempted voluntary furloughs / leaves of absences though?

Josh is there talk of furlough at ASA?

Haven't been mentioned. New seniority list came out today, and we've managed to lose 100 pilots from when I was hired to Jul 1st. So, we've trimmed the fat due to attrition and no more hiring / new classes - last class was 5/5/2007.

As far as furloughs, I've been thinking it for some time actually - but nothing has been mentioned and the CP I spoke with this morning told me "Not likely" considering a number of factors, unfortunately, all of those factors are controlled by daddy Delta.

I will say this though. . .if I somehow make it out of this economic cluster #### without being put out on the street for a period of time I will be extremely surprised. Plan B and C are both ready to go when / if they are needed, Plan D is being utilized presently though.

Just went to a buddies wedding on Saturday. He's a junior FO over there on the 71. Came over in I think September or October of last year.

Not good, man. If the 180 number holds true, that goes back to pilots hired Sept of last year. I hope he has a plan B. I'm working on mine right now.

Thanks for the unfortunate update Todd. Any news on attempted voluntary furloughs / leaves of absences though?

No word so far. The contract only requires them to "consider" it.

Whether it's ASA, Colgan, XJT, Airtran, CAL....you name it (I'll leave the fuel hedgers who fly people around SW out). If you're on the bottom of a seniority list, you should be well aware that furloughs are a possibility. It's just the way things are right now.

Todd,

He's a bright guy, I'm sure he has something lined up. Our wives work together and have both been discussing our respective fates in the current climate.

I think it was Sept of last year - might have been earlier. I remember at a Holiday party in the middle of December he was still in ground school.

Whether it's ASA, Colgan, XJT, Airtran, CAL....you name it (I'll leave the fuel hedgers who fly people around SW out). If you're on the bottom of a seniority list, you should be well aware that furloughs are a possibility. It's just the way things are right now.

I see this written a lot around here.

Are there people running around saying "I'm safe," who are on the bottom of a list?

I think most of us here are pretty damn wise to the fact that we (no matter who we work for) could be out of a job any day. I actually expect that phone call every morning honestly.

So in the end, what you're saying though has been repeated a couple hundred times already - so it's really nothing new. Or maybe I'm just tired of people stating the obvious considering we speak of these things on a daily basis.

Are there people running around saying "I'm safe," who are on the bottom of a list?

I think most of us here are pretty damn wise to the fact that we (no matter who we work for) could be out of a job any day. I actually expect that phone call every morning honestly.

So in the end, what you're saying though has been repeated a couple hundred times already - so it's really nothing new. Or maybe I'm just tired of people stating the obvious considering we speak of these things on a daily basis.
it could be that you're just tired of it, but it honestly would not surprise me one iota if there are people who just started training or just got on the line at wherever and think they're safe. I'm thinking if you don't have at least 3-5 years of seniority, you're probably in the no to low to medium safety zone.

Heck, There's a new thread about Piedmont hiring and i'm sure someone will bite thinking they don't have to worry. :rolleyes:

i think it's best right now that the statement is repeated and repeated often considering just how often people have "not" been listening in the past. iykwim :)

btw...this Airtran news blows Todd. I think mgmt should give back that raise and then pilots wouldn't have to concede anything.

I appologize if it came off harsh, sorry Baronman.

Just that it should be an obvious statement, that while it serves some repeating. . .this thread is obviously about potential furloughs. . .and any additional discussion of furloughs from any company is just stating the obvious once more.

We all know it can occur tomorrow. If some people are too ignorant to realize it, then well. . .poor planning on their part. I think all of us here the past 6 months have voiced an overall tone of skepticism and concern about the industry, which usually is tossed aside as doom and gloom.

Now it's not quite doom and gloom, it's reality. Has been for some time. Perhaps now those who are simply trying to smell the roses of a false dream can wake up to the fact that furloughs are (and have been for some time now) an obvious fact of life for those of us in the 121 game, and more importantly any segment of the industry. 100LL isn't getting any cheaper either.

Simple as that.

My sincere sympathies to those affected. Furlough is one of the crappiest things to happen to someone.

Isn't AirTran a fairly low cost airline? So even paying their pilots close to nothing, they STILL can't make money?

Isn't AirTran a fairly low cost airline? So even paying their pilots close to nothing, they STILL can't make money?

Yes, we are very low cost. Overall, on similar stage lengths, we have the lowest seat-mile costs in the industry. However, just so you know, we don't get paid "close to nothing." Our FO rates are slightly below industry average, and our Captain rates are above industry average. The problem for us, and for everyone else, is oil prices. Oil now accounts for over 40% of our total costs, whereas it used to account for only about 20%. We need oil to drop below about $110/bbl to make any money unless fares go up considerably.

Yes, we are very low cost. Overall, on similar stage lengths, we have the lowest seat-mile costs in the industry. However, just so you know, we don't get paid "close to nothing." Our FO rates are slightly below industry average, and our Captain rates are above industry average. The problem for us, and for everyone else, is oil prices. Oil now accounts for over 40% of our total costs, whereas it used to account for only about 20%. We need oil to drop below about $110/bbl to make any money unless fares go up considerably.

Concessions, seriously? I thought we already all understood concessions cannot save an airline, and it's a load of ####.

Concessions, seriously? I thought we already all understood concessions cannot save an airline, and it's a load of ####.

You should see our internal message boards right now. Guys are pissed. I think there's a better chance of me voting for McCain in November than this pilot group approving concessions. :D

Back