Airport Bum Meal Plan

Carbs=insulin release
Insulin release=fat storage if you're lethargic

Eat the bacon, skip the French bread.

Carbs need water to digest? How does that even make sense?

Carbs=insulin release

I had bacon wrapped meatloaf last night.
But I also had a beer or 3.
But the water in the beer helped the hops digest so I should be losing weight.

Carbs=insulin release

Insulin is a hormone and when a hormone is overused, sure you're gonna have metabolic issues. Insulin disorder- Diabetes. It's important to note the order of things in digestion metabolism. By coincidence, Insulin is a protein and your body WILL metabolize protein as an alternative to carbohydrates if it has to. However, carbohydrates ARE the most efficient fuel for your body. Carbohydrates come in different foods. The reasons to avoid bread have been "lost in translation", for lack of a better way of putting it. The nutritional value of a lot of commonly consumed breads is not high if consumed in large quantities. Consuming a lot of bread, especially in single sittings IS not that great for you, as is consuming large quantities of ANYTHING. Eat too much protein and you can get kidney issues. Eat too much "sugar" and you can get diabetes, even if you burned all the sugar and didn't get fat. Eat too many carbs, sugar: fat or diabetes, among other things. I'm not going to get into the different types of carbs, but I will say they serve a purpose and consuming 60-70 percent in your diet results in efficiency. Lower percentages work for more sedentary people. Higher percentages work for more active people. That is very generalized, though.

The real question is, what HAS carbs? Breads, of course (which are recipes of ingredients), but what else? Rice, white and brown (best), VEGGIES, fruits, and grains. Instead of a bagel for breakfast, eat oatmeal. I have numerous oatmeal concoctions that are very tasty. Raw oatmeal can be hard on the digestive system so be careful if you don't cook it.

Oatmeal and unsweetened applesauce
Oatmeal and and just about any other fruit
Oatmeal, fruit, peanut butter
One scrambled egg, oatmeal, Craisins, and hot sauce (sometimes I don't cook the oatmeal for this one)

That's just breakfast. I lost weight, A LOT, 185 down to 135 in less than a year. Looking back, most of the weight loss was in the beginning because...my body was dumping water as the excessive carbs left the system.

But no, don't get rid of carbs completely. You will be initially successful because of how the body works, but you won't have long term success unless you have a calorie deficit AND a high enough metabolism to continue losing weight. Most people exercise for that part. Mass amounts of protein will suffice for anaerobic exercise, but if you want to limit yourself to lifting weights, the benefits to that are also short term.

Also, I actually consume a lot of protein, but I don't get it all in bacon cheeseburgers (although my pre-race dinner favorite is, believe it or not, a hamburger, but just that night). I have straight whey protein for right after workouts. I eat lots if chicken. I drink milk. Protein rocks. I consume about 70 grams a day. That's more than the average need for a non-athlete. Ironic, isn't it?

The weight loss from cutting carbs is all water. Water is necessary for digestion and carbs can need a lot of water. A good diet should contain approx 60 percent of carbs. We need them to operate normally.
True, but I cut them out completely and lost over 100 pounds in a few months. YYMV.

Completely? No carbohydrates of any kind?
Almost none. At least 5 or 6 days a week with zero. Probably wasn't healthy, but it worked. Fast. I was working on the ramp too as well as running, playing basketball, and working out with a personal trainer buddy almost everyday. Still had energy for all that despite the lack of carbs.

Almost none. At least 5 or 6 days a week with zero. Probably wasn't healthy, but it worked. Fast. I was working on the ramp too as well as running, playing basketball, and working out with a personal trainer buddy almost everyday. Still had energy for all that despite the lack of carbs.

That's fascinating because I've always had plenty of anaerobic energy but aerobic only when sufficiently fed.

What did you eat? Salad is nasty. And wrong.

What did you eat? Salad is nasty. And wrong.
I hated eating during that time period, food was mostly tasteless, there was no joy in meals avoiding carbs completely, it was just something I had to do to survive at that point. I ate Salads with grilled chicken and no dressing, boiled chicken, peanuts, and fish. Almost entirely for months. But it was worth it.

I hated eating during that time period, food was mostly tasteless, there was no joy in meals avoiding carbs completely, it was just something I had to do to survive at that point. I ate Salads with grilled chicken and no dressing, boiled chicken, peanuts, and fish. Almost entirely for months. But it was worth it.

Uhg so nasty. You must have awesome will power.

Peanuts have carbs and fat, which the latter your body prefers over protein for fuel. Perfectly acceptable diet for survival. I don't know about vitamins and minerals, though.

Back