Airnet drops the Bomb!

It sure is a shock. I'm having a hard time understanding why they need to get rid of pilots now, if they are only planning on making full call backs by march 09. I suppose they are hopeful, moreso then the pilot group at this point.

On a separate note, does anyone know how to handle filing for unemployment? Like what state to file it for?

Why this system wide bid? After next week everyone will be presented with ..., an offer to break leases/move, and relocate at their own expense to completely different bases? If I get a phone call from AirNet asking if I'd like to report for duty 800 miles away the next Monday, or I have the choice to take voluntary furlough, I will have no choice but to leave - however much I need a job. I would imagine many others will see it the same way.

Unless there's a catch here, this way of restructuring the whole system, may beg several more furloughs than the 55 they ask for.

bohica.

Unless there's a catch here, this way of restructuring the whole system, may beg several more furloughs than the 55 they ask for.

Now theres a thought.:yeahthat:

I also wondered why the system wide bid. It's the first time I have ever heard of an airline furloughing and then taking everyones routes away.:confused:

Here is the official word that those of us in the pool got.

Here's the latest news from AirNet as of 9/17/08:

AirNet is facing many challenges as an organization due to the growing crisis in the financial and aviation economy sectors. On September 29, 2008 we will begin profitably flying a newly designed network and will have officially completed a ten year project that many thought was not possible. Unfortunately, with change this drastic there were also some other incredibly difficult decisions that we had to make. With the continued degradation of the bank business fostered by economic instability throughout the country we came to the painstaking conclusion that to operate our new route infrastructure profitably we would have to also ‘right size’ and reallocate our pilot team member base to ensure ongoing profitability.
AirNet will immediately discontinue pilot hiring until further notice. We also expect to issue approximately 50 - 55 furloughs and hope to commence call backs starting in late October or early November '08. If you would like to remain in the pool, please continue to update your times.
As always - thank you for your continued support. I'll keep you posted as things materialize.
Have a Great Day!

Craig R. Washka
Director, Pilot Recruitment/Development

Here's the deal guys.
55 people need to leave. 14 Lear Captains need to downgrade. How the heck are you going to get that done without doing a system wide bid. It sucks but I think they are trying to manage the situation as best they can. I don't support it and I don't like it.
Mini to answer your question, Boston is closing as a base but I most likely won't be able to hold a co-pilot spot unless there is a mass exodus from above me.

After listening to a few fellow pilot's conversations last night, I got the impression that many are not willing to relocate for their job. I know I'm not, I want to stay in the city I'm in, even if that means voluntarily leaving. It would be too costly, or just not an option to move for the ones that are married and established in their communities with mortgages and family. I think you may very well see a mass exodus depending on where bases are in the new system. Only time will tell and good luck to all.

After listening to a few fellow pilot's conversations last night, I got the impression that many are not willing to relocate for their job. I know I'm not, I want to stay in the city I'm in, even if that means voluntarily leaving. It would be too costly, or just not an option to move for the ones that are married and established in their communities with mortgages and family. I think you may very well see a mass exodus depending on where bases are in the new system. Only time will tell and good luck to all.

That's if people can find work in their town. I'm almost positive I won't find work where I am, and unfortunatly I have a Rental Lease I can't get out of unless I spend $3000 to buy out. I had heard rumors that Airnet was going to treat this like a base closure, and help pay for lease-breaks. Unfortunatly this was only a rumor. I just heard back from Tom, and he said Airnet will not be offering any assistance for lease breaks. I'm not sure what the norm is with other airlines, but this is the part that's going to hurt me the worst.

It sure is a shock. I'm having a hard time understanding why they need to get rid of pilots now, if they are only planning on making full call backs by march 09. I suppose they are hopeful, moreso then the pilot group at this point.

March '09 is probably a very unrealistic and inaccurate callback date.

That's if people can find work in their town. I'm almost positive I won't find work where I am, and unfortunatly I have a Rental Lease I can't get out of unless I spend $3000 to buy out. I had heard rumors that Airnet was going to treat this like a base closure, and help pay for lease-breaks. Unfortunatly this was only a rumor. I just heard back from Tom, and he said Airnet will not be offering any assistance for lease breaks. I'm not sure what the norm is with other airlines, but this is the part that's going to hurt me the worst.
Dang - that is NOT cool. Forcing a pilot to switch bases and NOT paying the costs? That's directly contrary to the SOP... very sad to hear.

Dang - that is NOT cool. Forcing a pilot to switch bases and NOT paying the costs? That's directly contrary to the SOP... very sad to hear.

As far as the pilots that aren't furloughed, that rebid, and get a new base, they will get a move paid for. That is what Mike told me last night. All pilots that are staying will get another move. I'm not sure if that includes lease breaks.

Now, in my situation, I'm furloughed, period. So I need to buy out my apartment lease, which Airnet will normally do if they close your base. But apparently they will not do it if you are furloughed. So my whole problem is I still have 6 months on my apartment lease valued at $3000, no job with Airnet, and will have to probably move to get a new job. Unless I wait for the call ups, which I can't afford. It's not fair that I signed a lease for a year, when I was suppost to be employed by Airnet for at least a year, and now will no longer be employed. But lifes not fair! I was hoping that since they furloughed me, they would at least help me to get out of my lease. And like I said, I'm not sure if thats even a common thing for other airlines, so I don't know if I should be expecting that or not. Being furloughed is bad enough, but I can get another job, the whole lease break fee is what really screws me in this whole situation. Alright, enough whining. Just thought I would let you know, that if you do rebid and aren't getting furloughed, you will get a move paid for, not sure about lease breaks.

Has AirNet distributed an official letter of furlough yet? Use this letter to help you get out of your apartment leases. You may be able to get out of it with the loss of your security deposit and an additional month of rent.

Don't they need to give notice about the furloughs well ahead of time? I would look into that.

This sucks guys.

Don't they need to give notice about the furloughs well ahead of time? I would look into that.

at will employee, thats what most people are unless you are in a union that has a contract. which i don't think airnet was.

SpiraMirabilis,

Where did you get that info? At-will gives both the employer or employee the ability to terminate employment without any notice and without reason at anytime.

Back