Airline Pilots: receipt tracking, taxes, etc...

You all chose to live a portion of your life in an airport terminal and you have the gall to complain about the food. Other than pilots the only more entitled people I've met are aspirational lobbyists or politicians.

I love Jersey Mikes but the “made/sliced to order” part is a bad fit for most airport situations. And Chik Fil A? I like CFA but man, I’m not waiting 30 min for it in an airport (or anywhere).

Every time I go there the chicken gets smaller.
Their sandwiches used to be great.

Folks,

Are you guys keeping and tracking all of your receipts when you're on a trip? Are you using an app? A spreadsheet?

I know per diem is supposed to offset some of this stuff, but I'm not clear on how that works for taxes and I figure it's better to track all of the receipts than not have that data. I'd appreciate any pointers/guidance for airline pilots on this kind of thing.

Thanks.

-b

EDIT: Should have mentioned that I have found the ALPA stuff and I'm going through it, but wondered if there was anything else y'all were finding useful.

If you didn’t know about the change in the tax law, your tax guy should have told you.

A tax guy is a permanent, 12 months a year gig. Unless your employment, investment, and lifestyle is pretty consistent from year to year, you should be paying your tax guy for a couple consultations a year. It’s a couple hundred bucks well spent.

Also, almost every W2 employee with a tax liability might consider a side gig, organized as an LLC. The IRS is more than okay with you taking advantage of mileage allowance and other safe expenses in a barely profitable business.

Last edited:
If you didn’t know about the change in the tax law, your tax guy should have told you.

A tax guy is a permanent, 12 months a year gig. Unless your employment, investment, and lifestyle is pretty consistent from year to year, you should be paying your tax guy for a couple consultations a year. It’s a couple hundred bucks well spent.

Also, almost every W2 employee with a tax liability might consider a side gig, organized as an LLC. The IRS is more than okay with you taking advantage of mileage allowance in a barely profitable business.
So what your saying is Trump was right regarding paying taxes, use the existing laws to your best advantage?

This is the sort of errant nonsense up with which I will not put. It says in the opening of the article that you posted that Trump was not charged. But because you're a smooth brain you think that's an easy piece of propaganda to pass along. Lots of us out here in the world aren't that dumb. I'm honestly curious about you, are you the bad neighbor on the street with the perfect garage that no one's allowed into?

This is the sort of errant nonsense up with which I will not put.

Literary!

I'm honestly curious about you, are you the bad neighbor on the street with the perfect garage that no one's allowed into?
Interestingly, I have one half of a two stall garage. My half is on my property, the other half is on my neighbor's property.

No, seriously! The garage sits on the property line and butts up against the alley behind our houses. Kind of hard to see with the tree there.

Anyway, the answer to your question is "no", but not many people hanging out in the alley. They are welcome on my front porch, though, which is where we hang when the weather is good...

6BBC952E-8811-44C1-AE94-E6D59D3441E8.jpeg

I love Jersey Mikes but the “made/sliced to order” part is a bad fit for most airport situations. And Chik Fil A? I like CFA but man, I’m not waiting 30 min for it in an airport (or anywhere).
I’ll go to CFA when the line is reasonable. ATL at certain times it is. Otherwise it’s almost 50% or more I agree.

What about a tuna wrap?
I’ve just never gotten into Tuna. Idk why…

I’ll go to CFA when the line is reasonable. ATL at certain times it is. Otherwise it’s almost 50% or more I agree.

I’ve just never gotten into Tuna. Idk why…
Unless it’s in the form of sushi I usually pass on Tuna. Poke can be good too.

So what your saying is Trump was right regarding paying taxes, use the existing laws to your best advantage?

It seems to me to be possible to use the existing tax laws to your maximum advantage, and, simultaneously, to abhor the existing tax (and, more importantly, tax-enforcement) structure, wherein some toupee'd grifter can pay little or nothing in taxes by dint of utilizing so *many* illegal and/or dubiously legal stratagems that the relevant enforcement mechanisms are overwhelmed (or, it seems like in some cases, find it politically expedient to look the other way).

You're presenting a false equivalency, here. No one in this conversation has the capability to, for example, sell NFTs of them in their Underoos to gullible idiots under the banner of "sticking it to the libtards" or whatever coloring-book level lunacy. Similarly, neither I nor (I suspect) you are in a position to logjam any prosecution for tax-avoidance in to the next decade through baldly bad-faith legal maneuvers.

Taxation, like any other legitimate function of government, depends upon the governed accepting, however grudgingly, the necessity of the governmental function. Like, for example, I, and I think probably you, too, accept that taxation is necessary for the continued function of a modern society. Like you, I want to minimize the slice that I pay vis a vis what I might have to pay if I don't carefully examine my exposure. There's nothing wrong with that, it's playing the game intelligently, and, essentially, seeing to it that you aren't, yourself, paying MORE than what has, through the various (overly-)complex gears of democracy, been determined to be your "fair share".

That's not anything like the same thing as becoming the head of the government which is funded BY taxation, and then gloating about not contributing *at all* to the common wheal. That's not Smart, it's Sociopathic. Although I grant you that the two are probably imagined to be synonymous by Donnie the Grifter.

No restaurant that is closed 15% of the year belongs in an airport.

I know, but he was pilloried when he commented about his taxes. I'd just ask for a bit of self reflection from the most vocal haters, it'll never happen but a boy can dream.

He was pilloried becasue:

1. He refuses to voluntarily disclose his taxes

2. He cheats on his taxes

3. His taxes demonstrate that he’s not the multi-billionaire that he claims to be.

Back