Delta pilot suing airline for $1 billion over communications app

Confidentiality/Proprietary Information
As a team member of the Company, you will have access to certain confidential information of the Company and you may, during the course of your employment, develop certain information or inventions that will be the property of the company. To protect the interests of the Company, you will be required to sign the company's standard "Team Member Invention Assignment and Confidentiality Agreement" as a condition of your employment.

Think of Mr. Bott who worked for CalTrans when he invented the highway dot. He got fame but no money.

sjm-roadshow-0203.jpg

Delta had an agreement that said just that...
Anything you invent while at work or not at work will while employed at Delta Airlines will become Delta's property.
It was originally meant for A&P mechanics that commonly make new tools and techniques to ease the workflow and has been expanded to include electronics and software.

Why?
Because they can.

Just because something is contractual, doesn't mean it's enforceable. If I rent a jet ski from you and sign a hold harmless waiver, and it turns out that you knew the jet ski was unsafe before I got injured on it, no way that contract holds up.

This case is wonky since it involves the employer's trade. But imagine he had invented a cooking utensil - you think a court would uphold Delta's claim to it?

Just because something is contractual, doesn't mean it's enforceable. If I rent a jet ski from you and sign a hold harmless waiver, and it turns out that you knew the jet ski was unsafe before I got injured on it, no way that contract holds up.

This case is wonky since it involves the employer's trade. But imagine he had invented a cooking utensil - you think a court would uphold Delta's claim to it?

Depends on how good your legal team is.

If something he observed at work inspired him to create this cooking utensil, then the answer to your question is; Yes!
It appears to me that he saw a need within the scope of his employment that inspired him to create his App. He most likely would not have come up with the details of his App if he were, let’s say, the lumber guy at Lowe’s. So his employment at Delta aided him in its’ design.

Idk if the whole Fed has this, and I don’t remember the exact particulars, but in the military if you invent something job related that saves time/money you get a cut of the money saved.

Correct NE

Fed Gov... got a cash award from working as an Forest Technician Aerial Photo Interpreter....$500 cash award for using using a water enhancer to unstick 9X9 black and white aerial photos that came fro either archives or the field crews that worked in the rain and photo emulsion may have drried photos together

Its for realllz

I’d be willing to wager that there’s nothing in the CBA about this, and so it falls to retained management rights. I’m certain he’s going to lose, but it’s going to be very entertaining to watch. (I too enjoy tilting at windmills from time to time.)

The fact that he sued for $1BN tells me he's absolutely fishing for a settlement. There's no way in seven kinds of hell that they'd pay that much.

The usual “I hate my employer”-types are cheering him on.

Which is a very peculiar group of people.

Captain: “I like to fly as fast as possible and request lower altitudes to screw the company on fuel costs since they won’t give us a contract!”

Me: “You realize they have less money to pay you with then, right?”

Captain: *dog watching TV confused face*

Captain: “I like to fly as fast as possible and request lower altitudes to screw the company on fuel costs since they won’t give us a contract!”

Me: “You realize they have less money to pay you with then, right?”

Captain: *dog watching TV confused face*

As a rule, the regionals had more variation in, well, people. In amplitude as well as frequency.

I ran into more than one person flying at turbulence penetration speed looking to recoup some past slight by the Company.

I ran into more than one person flying at turbulence penetration speed looking to recoup some past slight by the Company.

When I first got hired at my regional, a "Career Path Program" had recently been established where if you were accepted into it, you could "flow" to mainline after 1,000 hours as PIC. I flew with a captain who was in the CPP who flew at 55% torque and even asked Potomac Approach for either 1L or 19R at IAD (over a mile from the terminals, and at the time, rarely used) to build time faster.

When I first got hired at my regional, a "Career Path Program" had recently been established where if you were accepted into it, you could "flow" to mainline after 1,000 hours as PIC. I flew with a captain who was in the CPP who flew at 55% torque and even asked Potomac Approach for either 1L or 19R at IAD (over a mile from the terminals, and at the time, rarely used) to build time faster.

what a jackass captain. I mean, the last damn thing I want to do is sit on the flight deck of the 737 I fly a few times a month. I’m already bored off my ass 30 minutes after taking off on whatever leg I’m doing, the last thing I want to do is be there in the cockpit any longer than I absolutely have to. I fly with a guy occasionally who will cruise at .72 because “we’re paid by the hour”. No dummy, I got stuff to do and places to be that don’t involve being here, push it up to .78. He argued that I would end up messing up Center’s flow if I did that and they would get mad at us. Flow? Into Missoula, Montana?

Anyone who wants to fly slow must get recruited by AAL.

“oh 60 flying miles to the airport on a busy frequency? 210 it is! No don’t bother telling approach, I’m sure that guy 5 miles behind our 767 will notice.”

Nowadays you could just fly in as scheduled and spend as much time waiting for a gate -- and the ground staff to work it. Least that's what it's becoming downstairs around the northeast. No morale to work? No way am I working! Yeesh. Frankly it's amazing some third-party companies can even GET rampies for pennies. Bonus round: ask GND for some obscure taxi-in routes if you know you're gonna be waiting for a bit, and go sightseeing for a while before ramp calls ready.

Back