Airline Careers

If you are willing to take your chances on the future of the airline industry then I would say now would be a good time to get started on your training. With nobody hiring you don't need to worry about rushing through training to get a job in a hurry. You can take your time, pay as you go and try to come out without massive amounts of debt, hopefully zero debt. Pace yourself. Also, with the lack of movement you should be able to hold on to an instructor throughout most of your ratings and not have to deal with constant turnover. Hopefully by the time you get done with your ratings the economy will have picked back up and you can advance along, probably to CFI first, and then the regionals. If you go the FBO route and pay as you go you will have the option to leave at any time and not owe anybody a dime.

I know it's still pretty strong now, but I think in a month or two the airline industry's troubles (excess pilots) will filter down to the flight school level. Some of that will be mitigated by foreign students attracted by a weak dollar, but with hundreds of instructors back on the market I'm not sure there will be enough chairs when the music stops. I hope there will be, as I would like to start instructing before the year is up.

There will always be a strong demand for CFIs that care about their students. If you have the right attitude and are willing to move someplace like FL or CA, you'll be as busy as you want to be.

Back