Airline Careers

That's just terrific. I can't imagine my wife would be up for it. (Though i've heard expatriate schools are fantastic) But if the opportunity ever presented itself it would certainly merit some thought. Congrats on the upgrade.

I would say at least pursue general aviation no matter how bad the airline industry gets. GA REALLY needs people now, and there's a variety of ways to fly on the side if the career doesn't work out. As for the airlines, remember - even if things turn around, all these carriers will have to call back the furloughees before they even think about hiring again. Even if they do hire again, it would take expansion beyond the pre-cut levels for anyone new to move up beyond reserve quickly. With the end of cheap energy, any kind of massive expansion is unlikely. Because of this, I wouldn't recommend getting into flying for a living unless you really like teaching and taking it easy in general aviation for a LONG time. I'm personally leaving the career in a few months because of this and hope to make more money at a regular job, instruct on the side, and maybe get into the new LSA scene.

I agree....the CFI market is still hot....and many 135 outfits need pilots pretty badly.

If I leave aviation the plan is to become a school teacher and part time CFI. Both schedules are accomodating to eachother, and both jobs would offer a very comfy life style in my opinion.

You have the same chance of becoming an executive as you do a 777 Captain making 250k a year.

Not really, Business world offers free trade of experience. Airline pilots are locked into the seniority system. There is also way more jobs in the business world than the aviation world. Also, the business world is way less hectic than the aviation world which goes crazy at the slightest drop or rise in the economy and/or gas prices.

Moscow is one of my least favorite places. I don't believe I could ever live there.

To each their own. It is said either you absolutely love Moscow or you hate it. Just a saying but seems to hold true. Now I love the good ole USA, heck I even had permission to serve in her beloved Marine Corps, but I do love living here as well. The city is beautiful (winter will be rough), most people are very friendly, tons of restaurants and theaters and such, but best of all it is the comraderie we have between all the crews from all the companies. This even includes some Russian pilots. So all in all if someone is coming out here or anywhere for that matter. Keep an open mind! If you are with a family make sure you disucss it long and hard. Weigh all sides of the option. We are really happy and so are others...but there are those that go back home not liking it. Being in business aviation this is a great way to make a wonderful living. Most importantly follow your dreams because looking back its been a crazy ride but in the end it has really paid off.

It's too bad about all you old guys, but you should have done more research and persevered harder. When I get my 1000TPIC in December, I'm going to UPS to fly the MD-11. I may have to move to Anchorage for a little while, but you have to make sacrafices to get ahead in this game!

It's too bad about all you old guys, but you should have done more research and persevered harder. When I get my 1000TPIC in December, I'm going to UPS to fly the MD-11. I may have to move to Anchorage for a little while, but you have to make sacrafices to get ahead in this game!

lol. If you're gonna be a troll, you have to at least TRY.

i am about the same age as you are and been thinking about the same thing. I don't know if I want to start my training now? Since some airlines are in a downfall..

Grew up in Knoxville, TN and went to college in Melbourne, Florida.

Flight instructed in Palm Coast...
Flew freight in Tri-Cities, Tennessee...then New Bern, North Carolina
Commuters based in Johnstown, PA, then Fort Wayne, Indiana
LCC based in Atlanta, Georgia...
Major based in Pittsburgh, PA...
Commuter based in Cincinnati, Ohio...
Currently in northwest Arkansas...

Have I moved around enough?

Sorry, I should have clairfied. That was directed to the guys complaining about lack of students at CFI gigs. The comment wasn't intended for airline guys...

Well there is no slowdown at my school........
wrxpilot said:
My old school is still busy too. Some of you guys need to be willing to move around a bit if you want to make it work for you.
I know it's still pretty strong now, but I think in a month or two the airline industry's troubles (excess pilots) will filter down to the flight school level. Some of that will be mitigated by foreign students attracted by a weak dollar, but with hundreds of instructors back on the market I'm not sure there will be enough chairs when the music stops. I hope there will be, as I would like to start instructing before the year is up.

Haha...don't get some of us former military members started!!!;)

Back