Airbus pilots please help... :)

F16Flyer

Any Airbus pilots out there? Help me please.
smile.gif

Here's a couple of questions I have not been able to find the answer to some time, thanks any help.

So here are some questions I'm really trying to find, but havn't yet,

1. When on approach, do you always fly with seletected speed on to maintain the calculated Vapp speed as determined in the APPR phase on the FMGC, or can you physically move the throttles from indent to indent to gain, bleed of speed?

2. On a typical take-off, and approach in the evening, or early morning, can you have the panel lights on? You know the orangish colored lights that are just under the FCU?

3. On departure, when you advance the throttles to FLEX, or TO/GA, after you pass the CL indent, does it automatically turn on the A/THR then as you move it to the FLEX or TO/GA take your hand off the throttles? For example, when taxing, say you need to give the jet some thrust, can you go past the CL indent without the A/THR turning on?

4. When the altitude call-outs are made on flare, do you yourself always retard the throttles when that call is made? Or say your a little high will you retard before, and the same thing when too low, and just retard after the call-out was made?

5. I know Flaps 2 is not permitted on the A320, so normally what flap setting do you use to depart? What about the 319, and 321, would it be Flaps 2? Why would you use Flaps 3, and Flaps 1 for departure?

Thanks,

Sounds like a question for the folks over at airliners.net--there are people there with thousands of hours of flight simulator experience who can help you with this.

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like a question for the folks over at airliners.net--there are people there with thousands of hours of flight simulator experience who can help you with this.

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif

Then if they're so "flight simmish" let's see you answer them buddy. Come on, why not take a crack at it. Oh, that's right, you have no clue about any of it. How pathetic
cool.gif
And, haha, could you even answer these questions even if you have their stinking manual right in front of your face. Funny, all you people bash the young, or new, thinking your hot stuff, but why bash me when it's a questions you're probably going to have to KNOW 5-10 years down the road.
wink.gif

To the contrary, these are not questions that pertain to flight simulator, rather the real world. I happen to have an Airbus 320 AOM, and had a few questions that I have not really been able to fined.

...oh... and about airliners.net I highly doubt those people could land anything either real or fake.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Funny, all you people bash the young, or new, thinking your hot stuff, but why bash me when it's a questions you're probably going to have to KNOW 5-10 years down the road.
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Call me crazy, but I'm more concerned with stuff I have to know a little more near-term--like oh, the stuff on the instrument written. Speaking of writtens, how many questions on flex takeoffs or flight management systems do you suppose there are on the private pilot written?

It's great that you're motivated enough about aviation to want to learn that stuff, but you've got to walk before you can learn to run. What can you tell me about weather? About weight & balance? About VFR cloud clearance requirements? About using a flight computer? Presuming you're not simply interested in a career with a virtual airline, do yourself a favor and start learning the things you'll need to know 2-3 years down the road. If you don't master that stuff, knowing the vagaries of the A320 simply won't matter.

Besides...everyone around here knows I'm only into bashing Republicans and Mormons, not kids.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
It's great that you're motivated enough about aviation to want to learn that stuff, but you've got to walk before you can learn to run. What can you tell me about weather? About weight & balance? About VFR cloud clearance requirements? About using a flight computer? Presuming you're not simply interested in a career with a virtual airline, do yourself a favor and start learning the things you'll need to know 2-3 years down the road. If you don't master that stuff, knowing the vagaries of the A320 simply won't matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, your absolutely right, and I am, I've started taking some lessons here and there, and hope to start full on when I turn 16, and I'm still 15.

But... like the topic of this thread said, Airbus pilots, and if I'm not mistaken, your not that, so why even bother to respond... to piss people off?

If I have a question, it shouldn't matter who I am, or what I do in my free time, something you should learn sir.
wink.gif

Regards,

hey F16 person...

I used to be into that tech-ey stuff too... its cool to find out how the big rigs operate. While I am not an airbusdriver myself, I have often perused this site, and found a wealth of info: http://www.airbusdriver.net/

I guess Jim is right in one respect too... Personally, I used to want to fly the flight simulator bigrigs too but only with a complete systems knowledge as wells as operations SOP knowledge. This would have taken hours, and I would have never flown it... now I just use the simulator to keep up a scan, practice unfamiliar approaches, and perform procedure training that bears reference to my current training.

But duuude, its always fun to load up one of those airliners and play around- you just have to "improvise" he procedures you don't know, and hope no warning lights come on.
smile.gif

Wow, awesome site, loads of stuff on there that is really helpful.

Also, like you said, I really only use the game to fly the more advanced aircraft, instead of just using the default panels, I use payware which is quite realistic, and requires you to know these things in order to fly it. There are also this organizations you can join and fly there routes with these advanded payware aircraft, they also require you to become CATIII certified, just to give insight this isn't little kids hobby.

Thanks again for the link
smile.gif

Much as I hate to agree with Aloft, he's right
wink.gif

(Edited to remove truth that nobody wants to hear)

PS I'm a Northrop, Lockheed, North American Aviation, Boeing, and McDonnell Douglas pilot. Not on a virtual airline either.

That's about the long and short of it right there. For some reason there are a few people on here who feel threatened by teenagers, and take every opportunity they can get to swipe at them, goodness knows why.

Ray

ooo I don't think its THAT bad... us kids aren't THAT threatening, except when armed with a license and a Cherokee 6...

in any case, I do have to admit: If I spent more time practicing DME Arcs and holding patterns than tooling around with my dash 8 collection in flight simulator evenings after work, I probably would be IFR rated by now...

boy isn't that pathetic: I have a collection of Dash 8's....

awww, if only the funds would allow... Comair Academy + major debt here I come!

Well isn't that the beauty of it? By using these add-ons we've learned something even Private Pilots havn't learned, how to fly a commercial aircraft. I'm not at all saying that I could go sit in an Airbus and fly the plane, but I'd have a hell of an idea how, and thanks a little thing you all think is for dumb, threatening kids... well isn't that just the funniest thing.

And before you tell me, you need to crawl before you can walk... tell me this, what is the quickest way to walk? Stand-up, I did, even though it isn't as pure as you, I can say I know how read a star, sid, program an FMGC, calculate Vapp, fly a CATIII autoland... all in a game of course, but isn't that the point... it's still learning, am I right?

I'm starting to think it's not so much about my age that bothers you, but my age and what... I know. And that's the thought that just steps right over your ego pal.

tongue.gif

Simple as that, end of story.

That's ok. I tool around with my Airbus collection, and I have all my certificates and ratings through ATP. In fact, my teenage flight simming days prepped me very well for the real world of flying as far as knowledge areas go.

Now if they'd had FS2004 back when I was riding in the flight deck going back and forth between Luxembourg and London when I was in boarding school, it would have made the experience all that much more meaningful.

Ray

[ QUOTE ]
and thanks a little thing you all think is for dumb, threatening kids...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that anyone thinks flight simulators are for dumb, threatening kids. I have one (but my CD drives don't work, so I can't use it).

I think people take offense to your little cockyass attitude:

[ QUOTE ]
I can say I know how read a star, sid, program an FMGC, calculate Vapp, fly a CATIII autoland...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahaha, I'll bet you do.

Ahhh, I feel so threatened! Someone who has yet to take a single checkride can:
<ul type="square">
[*]read the words off a STAR or DP (they aren't called SID's anymore),
[*]program something that they won't likely touch for five years after they take their Commercial checkride,
[*]calculate an imaginary V-speed (no such thing as Vapp there, Tiger...might you be referring to Vref?),
[*]and fly an instrument approach that they know nothing about. So, just exactly what are the Cat II and III general operating rules?
[/list]

The point is, you could be a lot more productive with your time if you spent it studying something useful instead of eating Cheetos and flying for your virtual airline. Pick up a private pilot manual, or the FAR/AIM and start studying. Its not too early for that.

[ QUOTE ]
I think people take offense to your little cockyass attitude

[/ QUOTE ]

Cockyass attitude, spare me. Did I not ask a question at the beginning of this thread, which I was laughed at by two cockyass people after? Did I not just tell you what I've learned? Is that being cocky, telling you what I've learned? It would be a good thing for someone like me, to know such a thing. It makes me really wonder, do just sit at your comfy arm chair and pull your hair out when people of youth post something above your level?

Vapp, it is a speed determined in the FMGC in the APPR phase of flight, it uses current weight, wind speed/direction, airport elevation to determine an approach speed, that while in Managed speed mode, will fly until the retarding of the throttles occur at approx. 30 of the ground. A typical Vapp speed in an A-319 with a landing weight of 125.0 LBS, a headwind of 10 kts, using Flaps 4, will be 128 kts, Managed speed mode will slow the airplane to this determined speed once flaps 4 has been selected.

So it might take me another 10 years before I'm programming an FMS/FMGC, is it a crime to get a head start? And when the time comes for that, I guess I'll be ahead of everyone else huh...?

CATII/III approaches

For a CATII ILS the mins. are 200' ceiling, and about .5 miles visibility.

For a CATIIIa ILS mins. are 0' ceiling and RVR of 07.

For CATIIIb ILS mins. are 0' ceiling and RVR of 03

and For CATIIIc mins. are 0' ceiling and RVR of 00

To fly a dual CATIIIa,b,c approach in an Airbus 320 series, you enter your arrival runway ILS freq, and course into the RAD NAV page of the FMGC, before you turn to your FAF you will hit the APPR button on the FCU, to arm the LOC and G/S, once the LOC is locked, you have yourself a CATIII single, this then will lock the G/S, once established you can fly the ILS, if you want to have the airplane land itself, you will simply turn on the second AP button in the FCU, there after the airplane will completey fly itself you the ground, then you will deactivate the AP1/2, throttle back to MREV and turn off the active.

Happy?

Back