Airbus pilots please help... :)

[ QUOTE ]
Happy?

[/ QUOTE ]

No more or less than before. Impressed would be a better word, if it is all correct (which I doubt, and don't care enough to verify)- in which case I will gladly chomp on my foot for awhile for being an ass.

But I still think your priorities are backasswards.
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
did I say the wrong thing?

[/ QUOTE ]Nope, was referring to MDPilot's "much as I hate to agree with Aloft...." remark.

[ QUOTE ]
Happy?

[/ QUOTE ]Yawn.

How are your turns around a point? Can you compute a wind correction angle? How 'bout a standard weight & balance? You haven't flown at night in 6 months, so you go up and do two touch & gos and a full-stop landing (total of three takeoffs and landings); are you then legal to carry passengers at night? You're a student pilot on a solo cross-country; you had planned on going around some busy Class B airspace but ATC issues you a clearance to go through it...can you? You're going up for an hour of touch & gos. In preflighting the aircraft, the right tank indicates empty, the left tank full. You visually inspect the fuel tanks and they're both full. Can you fly? What's the frequency to reach Flight Watch?

[ QUOTE ]
I can say I know how read a star, sid, program an FMGC, calculate Vapp, fly a CATIII autoland... all in a game of course, but isn't that the point... it's still learning, am I right?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's learning if you're doing it correctly. Who's there to tell you if you're right or wrong. Shooting a real CAT II/III approach requires more than just selecting a button on the MCP and throwing the gear and flaps out. I taught those procedures to airline crews in the B75/76 sim and most of it is practicing for the "what if" scenarios. Different airlines also may calculate Vapp differently than others do.

I'm all for jumping into the books and learning new things but make sure you're learning it correctly if you plan on using it in the future. And remember, as real as it may seem, the computer games are exactly that...just a "game". Bad habits are hard to erase.

Alotf here's what I say, get over this attitude that you think just because people are younger then you means they cannot answer questions you could not answer if your life depended on it, and they do in fact answer them. And while you're at it, get over yourself. You're already a riot and you don't even know it.

But I'm just kidding, right?

[ QUOTE ]
It's learning if you're doing it correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I beg to differ A300Capt, I've learned to do many things wrong rather then right, so is that "doing it correctly".

There is not right or wrong when it comes to learning, people learn the right way to do things, and the wrong way, afterall, how did we get here today? By doing everything correctly? Or simply screwing up a couple times?

Vapp ... now is that there the Managed Approach Speed, PFD Selected Speed, or the FMGC Speed Target? (Look at me go!
tongue.gif
)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's learning if you're doing it correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I beg to differ A300Capt, I've learned to do many things wrong rather then right, so is that "doing it correctly".

There is not right or wrong when it comes to learning, people learn the right way to do things, and the wrong way, afterall, how did we get here today? By doing everything correctly? Or simply screwing up a couple times?

[/ QUOTE ]I rest my case.

Vapp is a speed that is determined in the APPR phase in the FMGC, in this page, you enter various informationed to have this calculated, you would enter your altimeter, wind speed, and outside temp. plus what flap setting you will use, most times it is 4, but on occasion pilots will use 3. There really isn't a managed approach speed, it's more of managed speed, this is all computed by the FMGC, this calculates speed for all of the phases of flight, CLB, CRZ, DES, and APPR. Managed Speed mode uses ECON, but you can also enter a selected speed in the phase of flight for which you want that speed, ECON is more or like the optimun speed, usually ,78 in cruise, 256 descending, and about 300 ascending, then once you activate the APPR phase after DES, and this the speed selector knob pushed (anything pushed on the FCU goes to managed mode) will slow to a speed of 180 knots, or what is determined until flap retraction occurs.

Selected speed is any speed selected on the FCU, and the speed selector knob is pulled, you can use this anytime, my best guess would be descending when ATC wants a maintained speed, and also en-route when slowing or speedup is require.

FMGC speed target? Have no clue.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is probably one of the single stupidest things I've ever heard anyone say. Aviation is not forgiving of "learning things wrong."

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is probably one of the single stupidest things I've ever heard anyone say. Aviation is not forgiving of "learning things wrong."

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't going to post anything, but that was absolutely retarded. You learn things wrong from the get go and old habits are hard to break...I don't care how good anyone thinks they are. Why do you think good pilots get recurrent training every year...its not because they know the system of the airplane so well that they get to show off...it is because bad habits form and they need to be broken.

Just when a pilot starts to get cocky...they will get dumped on their butt.

I'll give the kid some credit for wanting to learn and I do think some people have given him a hard time for no apparent reason, but that response was just maturity or lack there of.

I'm not talking about aviation, I'm talking about life in general. You simply cannot go through life thinking you only learn when you do it the right way. Well tell me, what exactly is a right way? And I'm not talking about flying airplanes, life in general. There is no right way to learn something in life, you'll learn with shining stars, or you'll be seeing stars, but there isn't one predetermined way to learn.

But sure, you need to learn the right way in aviation, if in fact there is one. But think about this, how many times did the Write Brothers screw up before they actually flew? I did in fact learn the wrong way, and then taught themselves the right way, yet still learning in each occasion. How did Boeing make the 777, 757, 737, by learning how to make everything so perfect? Or by trial and error.

You never learn anything the right way the first time, it's human nature.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And, how did you know you were doing something wrong? Somebody who actually knew the correct answer told you or you eventually stumbled across the correct answer, Right? My point was, who is there to explain or validate whether you're doing it right or wrong before coming on here claiming to have all the right answers simply because you've seen it on a computer game?

I, a person who knows how large jets are actually operated in the real world and have taught others the same, just told you that your flight sim game is just that...a game, nothing more and be careful what you think you are learning from it.

While it may be technically correct in some areas and provide some understanding to the average layman and aviation enthusiast, it leaves gapping holes in the overall operation and understanding of a jet (and probably just as well, IMHO) within the ATC environment and including weather and mechanical factors.

There are so many things to consider prior to and while flying CAT II/III approaches or figuring Vapp speeds, that your explanation of some of the aspects, while very good for your age, is still very simplistic. My thoughts are usually about legalities prior to and non-normal situations during the approach.

In MOST of aviation there are definitive rights and wrongs. Read the FARs and you will understand why I have to say most.
smile.gif

Just because Boeing makes a new airplane, it doesn't mean the old one was wrong. They are just perfecting what they already know.

And yes, you almost always learn things the right way...that is why you aren't six feet under. Why learn from your mistakes when you can learn from everyone elses?

[ QUOTE ]
Why learn from your mistakes when you can learn from everyone elses?

[/ QUOTE ]

Gosh that sounds so familiar, do you by chance has a small blue book with famous aviation quotes in it? I think I read it there.
grin.gif

Anyway, origionally I was the one asking the question in this thread, and have found my answers elsewhere, so apparently I have been made out to be the bad person, because I don't have a slip of paper that say Private Pilot on it. Afterall, isn't that the point of this forum, to answer questions that the uneducated do not know, but the educated do?
laugh.gif

Actually learning to bitch is important if you plan to be a professional pilot one day. After all, the only difference between a jet engine and a pilot is that the engine quits whining when you reach the gate!

[ QUOTE ]
Alotf here's what I say, get over this attitude that you think just because people are younger then you means they cannot answer questions you could not answer if your life depended on it, and they do in fact answer them.

[/ QUOTE ]Assuming you pursue aviation in the real world, your life will depend upon your ability to answer MY questions above long before mine depends on the ability to answer yours.

Sure, you feel picked on right now, but no one's saying you're a bad person. We ARE saying you need to reassess your priorities somewhat and obtain a complete and thorough education on those aviation subjects that will matter for you in the near term before worrying about crap like how to fly an Airbus simulation. Knowing that stuff will not make you a better student pilot and in fact will probably be an impediment to your training....at first, anyway, until your CFI is able to break your flight sim bad habits.

You may indeed find yourself in the right seat of one in maybe 15 or 20 years, but do you honestly think a) you'll remember any of it, having had to unlearn it all in order to master the systems/procedures of the many aircraft you'll have to fly in the interim, and b) that the systems/procedures in 15-20 years will even remotely resemble those of your flight sim (as if they did now)?

Lastly, you'll find that answers to your questions of any variety will come more readily if you try not to be so flippant with the airline pilots, flight instructors and other professional pilots on the board as you have in this thread. In particular, you owe A300Capt an apology post haste.

Back