Air Wagner

Back in my dirtbag 135 freight dog days I worked for an operator that had the ops spec for enroute class g to do exactly this in a Chieftain.
Used to be, flying piston you had no choice but to fly in uncontrolled airspace, at least in western states. Lot of it in NM, NV and AZ extended to 14,500. If you stayed on the airways it was controlled but between airways it was uncontrolled. As an ATC'er we occasionally gave clearances that ended with "While in controlled airspace".

Took my instrument written in '78, there was a question about changing altitudes while in uncontrolled airspace. The correct answer was; You must return to your assigned altitude before reentering controlled airspace.

Other than the 700'/1200' AGL stuff, I don't think you'll find uncontrolled airspace in the lower 48 anymore. It was still in AZ and NM extending to 14,500' as late as 2005.

I thought a lot of that old IFR stuff, like talking to FSS over the VOR and cruise clearances and such, was "nah, no one anywhere uses that stuff any more", and then I got my ass kicked out of the world, and wound up using all that stuff....sometimes on the same leg.

Be cautious as to which fate you tempt.

Apparently you havent seen his most recent posted video where hes flying a RNAV LPV and keeps calling it localizer and glideslope. Repeatedly.
That’s far from the worst thing Jer does.

Shades of this old geezer walking in to my flight school one day in like 2006. He had bought some plane in Louisiana and was trying to get it to Arizona. I happened to be at the desk that day, he asks me if I can tell him how to get through the TRSA going west. No charts, no radio in his plane. I’m like “wut?” We were under the DFW class B and inside the 30 mile veil. Went back and forth for awhile. he wouldn’t stop calling it a TRSA. I told him I couldn’t help him but recommended he just fly with south a long way before turning west.

Used to be, flying piston you had no choice but to fly in uncontrolled airspace, at least in western states. Lot of it in NM, NV and AZ extended to 14,500. If you stayed on the airways it was controlled but between airways it was uncontrolled. As an ATC'er we occasionally gave clearances that ended with "While in controlled airspace".

Took my instrument written in '78, there was a question about changing altitudes while in uncontrolled airspace. The correct answer was; You must return to your assigned altitude before reentering controlled airspace.

Other than the 700'/1200' AGL stuff, I don't think you'll find uncontrolled airspace in the lower 48 anymore. It was still in AZ and NM extending to 14,500' as late as 2005.
This is the last remaining piece in the lower 48. Just a fun piece of trivia.
Uncontrolled.jpg

I thought a lot of that old IFR stuff, like talking to FSS over the VOR and cruise clearances and such, was "nah, no one anywhere uses that stuff any more", and then I got my ass kicked out of the world, and wound up using all that stuff....sometimes on the same leg.

Be cautious as to which fate you tempt.
I spent a good amount of time departing stations where you had to do the former. Kinda neat.

I didn't get a chance to watch it this morning, but there's a new Jerry video up on his YouTube. Someone go check it out and report back before it gets taken down.

Fix

i havent seen anything crazy yet. Still poking around. Caught this gem though @ 27:44.

Jerry: OK we got three green. How many times are we going to look at 3 green(chuckling)

Jerrys copilot: (not laughing)A lot after Friday.

Jerry: yeah uh....

Robert is not smiling anymore. Soooooo much opportunity out there, WHY is he making THIS choice???
jerry decides it's prudent to do an actual departures stall demonstration on take off at 700-1500 feet with 3 passengers on board?

I would not trust jerry with a burnt match

Robert is not smiling anymore. Soooooo much opportunity out there, WHY is he making THIS choice???
jerry decides it's prudent to do an actual departures stall demonstration on take off at 700-1500 feet with 3 passengers on board?

I guess I didnt catch he had pax in the back......

<puts MEI and check airman hat on>

According to the AFM, stalls should be practiced so that recovery can be accomplished no lower than 1,500 feet in a single engine airplane, or higher if the AFM/POH recommends.

Slow flight and stalls in a multi engine airplane are to be performed so that recovery can be accomplished by 3,000 feet, according to the Commercial ACS.

VMC demos must be performed at or above 3000 feet due to the possibility of inadvertently stalling and experiencing a significant loss of altitude.

In short, Jerry is a goddamned idiot.

Last edited:
<puts MEI and check airman hat on>

According to the AFM, stalls should be practiced so that recovery can be accomplished no lower than 1,500 feet in a single engine airplane, or higher if the AFM/POH recommends.

Slow flight and stalls in a multi engine airplane are to be performed so that recovery can be accomplished by 3,000 feet, according to the Commercial ACS.

VMC demos must be performed at or above 3000 feet due to the possibility of inadvertently stalling and experiencing a significant loss of altitude.

In short, Jerry is a goddamned idiot.

Surprised it says “should” and not “shall”

Back