Air Traffic Control Dress Code

Man, most people are thinking that when you dress better, you act better. I fought against this before, but it actually is often true. I was a submariner. While in port, we had to play by all of the military rules. But, out to sea was a different story. We didn't have to shave, and we basically didn't have to wear our uniforms to watch. We could wear any type of hat. As long as we did our job, nobody cared because no one could see us anyways. Basically, there were about 130 stinky werewolf looking men running around patrolling the ocean bottom. One day, the rules changed, and we had to keep up our shaves, haircuts, and uniforms. We all flipped out, but in the end, we couldn't deny the results. We were in a different mindset while we were unkept, and we had to actually take a while to get back into the swing of things whenever we were about to have ship inspections, or when we were about to pull back in port. After the change, we were on our games the whole patrol instead of certain times. This improved my boat's performance. I don't know if this is even similar to the FAA situation, but sometimes its just best to do things instead of investing too much energy into worrying about things that really aren't all that important anyway.

As for what I do....I am a controller at ATL Tower.

I must say, when I was up there a couple of weeks ago, you were all dressed very nice. Didn't realize the supervisors had to dress quite that nice. I was quite surprised when he picked me up from the terminal wearing a tie and what not. All in all, clothes not being an issue, I had a great time up there.

Sorry for the necropost, but is the final consensus about facial hair nothing matters?

I have a rounded goatee (not long, the one that just wraps the bottom of the chin, and i have a chinee (follows straight line from center of lips to my goatee). I know for airlines and such, it's a big no-no. But am i cool with it?

I think as long as your doing your best to be "professional" and have a good idea of what that entails you should be fine. I found this video, can't watch it yet since the computer I am on does not work well playing videos...but it seems like it might be entertaining. Well, I can't figure out the imbedding thing and not enough time to mess with it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JOEj6Z0Mn0

As long as I am wearing a tie and dress shoes, do you think I could get away with just wearing a thong and no Dockers?

I mean, that's just how I am most comfortable.

Has anyone else noticed that there are two dress code threads going at the same time....is there going to be that much of a difference between what you wear in OKC and at your facility? lol

http://forums.jetcareers.com/air-traffic-control/70309-air-traffic-control-dress-code.html

http://forums.jetcareers.com/education-and-training-okc-cti/72741-okc-class-dress-code.html

And this is the message I get when I try to post twice...how does this math work out?

This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 32 seconds.

Back