Air Traffic Control Dress Code

I saw a couple guys at a certain facility wearing shorts a month ago. Maybe it doesn't apply cause they are vets.

Or because there wasn't a sup on duty...happens at my facility all the time.

Aside from that, all facilities will be different. At mine they allow shirts untucked. Sometimes I wear pin striped slacks and a really nice Express button down and sometimes I wear a slightly faded pair of Dockers with a polo untucked. Nobody has ever said anything to me but most of all I use common sense and that takes care of it.

HD

Man it up and call it Structure... not Express!!!

"In 2001, the Structure brand was consolidated into the company as Express Men... However, due to sagging sales, Limited Brands brought Structure back under Express management in 2001, making Express a dual-gender brand. At the same time, Express began closing under-performing stores and consolidating others into existing Express stores. In 2003, after the closing or re-branding of all Structure stores, the Structure brand name was sold to Sears." wikipedia

What year are you in!? :crazy:

"In 2001, the Structure brand was consolidated into the company as Express Men... However, due to sagging sales, Limited Brands brought Structure back under Express management in 2001, making Express a dual-gender brand. At the same time, Express began closing under-performing stores and consolidating others into existing Express stores. In 2003, after the closing or re-branding of all Structure stores, the Structure brand name was sold to Sears." wikipedia

What year are you in!? :crazy:

Thanks for backing me up PM:D.

HD

Just be careful when you first arrive at your newly assigned facilities. Different managers have different interpretations of the dress code & how to apply it. One may send you home for not tucking in, while another may not care. For the first few weeks dress very conservatorily, and get with the "locals," (thats controllers not management) they'll let you know what has been determined as acceptable and may be gotten away with at that facility. When management sends you home for dress code issue, they expect you to go home and change and return....and they charge you annual leave for your time. Plus many use it against you in your performance approaisal later in the year. Just be conservative at first, and then lossen up as you find out whats okay in that particular facility.

Not nutzoid, just a little whiny... look, I hate dress clothes too, but when you *have* to wear them, you get used to it. Also it IS possible to be very comfortable in dress clothes and dress shoes.

Not sure what else to say, except I can tell you from experience that when you have to wear dress clothes, you DO get used to it.

Yep. I was a Mormon missionary for a couple of years, which involved walking up and down steaming (sometimes literally) Venezuelan roads in 110+ heat wearing dark pants, a button-up shirt, and a tie. Not the most practical clothing, but you get used to it.

Just be careful when you first arrive at your newly assigned facilities. Different managers have different interpretations of the dress code & how to apply it. One may send you home for not tucking in, while another may not care. For the first few weeks dress very conservatorily, and get with the "locals," (thats controllers not management) they'll let you know what has been determined as acceptable and may be gotten away with at that facility. When management sends you home for dress code issue, they expect you to go home and change and return....and they charge you annual leave for your time. Plus many use it against you in your performance approaisal later in the year. Just be conservative at first, and then lossen up as you find out whats okay in that particular facility.

Dress conservative? So you mean to tell me that I have to return my tassles and Fuzzy slippers?

Wait a minute...thats a topic for another time...LOL

Yep. I was a Mormon missionary for a couple of years, which involved walking up and down steaming (sometimes literally) Venezuelan roads in 110+ heat wearing dark pants, a button-up shirt, and a tie. Not the most practical clothing, but you get used to it.

I love the Wake Turbulence avatar!

I have had these shoes for a couple of years now, they are the most comfortable dress shoes ever, no break in period required.

They are Clarks brand Cruze shoes. They are a little expensive, but totally worth it.

Check them out.

http://clarks.zappos.com/n/es/d/722001133/page/1.html

my mom own(ed) a "comfort" shoe store and after getting new shoes for free for a few years, i have to say that clarks are top of the line in that respect. :buck:

if the pay would go back to where it was, you'd never hear a sour word out of me for the rest of my career about clothing. but if it stays where it is, don't expect me to be a happy camper when i have to iron my shirt in the morning :mad:

...when i have to iron my shirt in the morning :mad:

Who said you had to iron your shirt? :crazy:
dinesh_wagle_shirt.jpg

WRONG!

I visited a tower that was not in Hawaii and the controlers were wearing Hawaiian shirts. :nana2:

One week, I wore nothing but Hawaiian shirts. Most of the new NATCA shirts lately have been Hawaiian shirts.

The FAA implemented a dress code so to not "erode public confidence".

Was public confidence in question or in danger of being "eroded" BEFORE Sept 2006?

This is the one of problems I have with the dress code.

Another, is I have 30+ different dress codes, depending on the manager/supervisor working. During the months of Sept/Oct 2006, I had a shirt that I would wear on cruises, for 4 times it was OK, then one manager didn't like it and haven't worn it to work since then.

In may ways the dress code was needed, we had people pushing other side of bad taste.
I think that neat & clean, meaning no holes, tears, and that long shorts (that could be worn on a golf course) & jeans ok, tee-shirts on weekends.
I am just the type of person who likes wearing shorts or jeans. Even when I came in, back in 85, ZAB would let us wear jeans.

One week, I wore nothing but Hawaiian shirts. Most of the new NATCA shirts lately have been Hawaiian shirts.

This is the one of problems I have with the dress code.

Another, is I have 30+ different dress codes, depending on the manager/supervisor working. During the months of Sept/Oct 2006, I had a shirt that I would wear on cruises, for 4 times it was OK, then one manager didn't like it and haven't worn it to work since then.

In may ways the dress code was needed, we had people pushing other side of bad taste.
I think that neat & clean, meaning no holes, tears, and that long shorts (that could be worn on a golf course) & jeans ok, tee-shirts on weekends.
I am just the type of person who likes wearing shorts or jeans. Even when I came in, back in 85, ZAB would let us wear jeans.

So what you're saying is that there needs to be a dress code, but the current dress code wording needs to be elaborated on so as not to leave it up to interpretation, right?

Back