Air Traffic Control Dress Code

What kind of jackets/outerwear do controllers wear?

Is something like a fleece columbia/northface jacket okay?

Here's a thought: How about---who gives a damn?? :banghead:

Just wait until you get to your facility...or even better---if you are that concerned about it, call or pay them a visit so you can go shopping....

What a pointless thread

So what you're saying is that there needs to be a dress code, but the current dress code wording needs to be elaborated on so as not to leave it up to interpretation, right?

Yes and it does not need to be business casual, what I wear, is not as important has how I do my job, but I still should wear cloths that are neat & clean and not beach wear.

Here's a thought: How about---who gives a damn?? :banghead:

Just wait until you get to your facility...or even better---if you are that concerned about it, call or pay them a visit so you can go shopping....

What a pointless thread

The new people walking in to that building on the first day.

And I can see from you avatar, that you don't seem to care much for how the Air Traffic Controllers get treated.

The new people walking in to that building on the first day.

And I can see from you avatar, that you don't seem to care much for how the Air Traffic Controllers get treated.

Well....unless you have a TOTAL BRAIN FART...why would you dress like a slob on your first day?

And as far as my avatar goes...you cant sit there and tell me that EVERY controller under the current FAA is a democrat...

IMO, there are no pointless threads and if you have nothing nice to say, don't.

keep it civil folks.

Well....unless you are a COMPLETE DUMB ASS...why would you dress like a slob on your first day?

And as far as my avatar goes...you cant sit there and tell me that EVERY controller under the current FAA is a democrat...

You right for someone to dress like a slob, would be dumb, but different managers will take the words of the dress code differently than others. At ZHU, trainees wear shirts that are not tucked in, but the bottom of the shirt must be straight across.

As for being a Democrat, I think a controllers should be if they want better working conditions and pay. I think the only reason things haven't gotten worst, is the Democrats running the Aviation committees that over see the FAA. In the past history of the FAA, Democrats have been better for Air Traffic Controllers.

I get why they make us pilots wear a uniform because we are often in view of the traveling public...but as long as the controllers are good at what they do, I really could care less what they are wearing. Obviously common sense should prevail and you shouldn't wear anything insulting to work. But if a Hawaiian shirt, shorts, and flip flops help you do your job better, then I say go for it.

Delta Romeo, mind if I ask what you do here in ATL? Whatever it is, you folks do an awesome job and I appreciate it. I love looking at TCAS on the way in or out of here and its like watching ants march into an ant hill.

Imagine you're a pilot. You're flying along. You get thirsty. You spot a little water. You put your little pilot lips down to the clear blue water... BAM! A ####IN' B737 RIPS OFF PART OF YOUR FUSELAGE! BODIES ARE FLYIN' THROUGH THE SKY IN LITTLE BLOODY PIECES. Now, I ax ya. Would you give a #### what kind of pants the son of a bitch who "pushed" you was wearing?

Seriously, not negative, just realistic. This whole topic is rediculous. The whole FAA ruling is an asinine attempt at gaining a little more control of their minions habits and attitudes, meanwhile detracting from the plain and simple goal of making sure blips keep moving all the way to the gate/ramp. Wear slacks, a tucked in, wrinkle free dress shirt, and decent shoes. If they say you can relax when you get where you're going, so be it. Deal with it then. But all the undue, and really unknown stress, please, #### and if you're THAT worried about doing "right," try studying the 7110.65. Let the color or cut of your freakin clothes work themselves out.

Truth is, no matter how many threads/posts there are about dress code, it's already been made painstakingly obvious that it's IMPOSSIBLE to determin EXACTLY what you'll be required to wear.

Stop freakin stressing about pointless matters.

As for the answer about jackets....I keep a fleece style light jacket (its ugly, smells from being in my locker months at a time, the zipper is broken, and is not dressy - goes real :sarcasm: well with my dress slacks and heels) in my locker and wear it all the time. Even during the summer as sometimes the a/c gets a little too cold. I also keep a heavier pair of really ugly socks, for the same reason.

Whoever it was that made the comment about how poorly dressed some folks might show up on their first day, has not obviously, worked in ATC prior to the dress code being implemented. I would much prefer to wear what we used to to do my job, but after some of the things I have seen I know why the FAA implemented this stupid dress code. We constantly are having tours and visitors (this happened even a lower level facilities). I can appreciate requiring business causual during (say) day shifts until 6 pm, and would really like to see the FAA get more relaxed the rest of the time, but it aint gonna happen under this administraion. Just make the most of it.....it could have been worse, they could have required suits, etc.

As for what I do....I am a controller at ATL Tower.

Just remember guys that diffreent managers and supes (even some within the same building occassionally) will have a different interpretation of what the dress code says. Just be careful for the first few weeks you're at your first facility....until you get a grip on what is loaclly acceptable.

So a newbie should dress nice so as not to get in trouble? Or does dressing nice somehow mean he's serious about the job?
I'm confused about the comment about newbies, are you saying they dress sloppy?

I would think fellow controllers care more about your motivation, study habits, personality/attitude, than how you dress to work everyday.
As long as you don't get in trouble and meet the minimum standard, then it shouldn't matter, no?

PM,
I am an advocate of the "old" way we were allowed to dress, but since thats no longer an option, all I am saying is "dress to stay out of trouble" at your new facility. After all, y'all are on probation for the first year, depending on where you land, this may not be a battle you want to fight right off the bat.
I have now said this 3 times, there are managers/supervisors who, independent of one another, have different takes on exactly what the dress code says or means, so simply put....just go conservative initilally when at your new facility (dockers, polo tucked in, belt, socks and comfortable dress shoes are generally okay and will pass the mark). This will give you time to figure out what is. and is not, acceptable locally, and will save you personal grief.
DR

PM,
I am an advocate of the "old" way we were allowed to dress, but since thats no longer an option, all I am saying is "dress to stay out of trouble" at your new facility. After all, y'all are on probation for the first year, depending on where you land, this may not be a battle you want to fight right off the bat.
I have now said this 3 times, there are managers/supervisors who, independent of one another, have different takes on exactly what the dress code says or means, so simply put....just go conservative initilally when at your new facility (dockers, polo tucked in, belt, socks and comfortable dress shoes are generally okay and will pass the mark). This will give you time to figure out what is. and is not, acceptable locally, and will save you personal grief.
DR

Any say on hair length/facial hair on guys? Obv. its best to keep it conservative at first, but whats the general consensus?

Isn't that what you're doing?

<pause>

<blink>

Well played, my friend. Well played! :sitaware:

1173p_0c_ZoomM.jpg

My arguement still stands about the dress code though. :rolleyes:

IMHO, Note, I am not a controller. I do have hopes of being one. But I use to be an assistant manager at an oil change place. All I have to say it that on the days I interviewed people those that were better dressed, seemed to get less examination from both myself and my boss as well as seem more ready to get to work. Secondly, after moving on from the dirty job of changing oil, I became a car salesman. Since we were always in the eye of the public, normally a customer, we had to wear a shirt and a tie, even in 110+ degree weather. My point is what you wear says more than anything, "I am here, ready and willing to work. Furthermore, I take PRIDE in my job" or if you are dressed like you just rolled out of the gutter and smell like you closed down a bar, it could say the exact opposite. Granted since the facility I have my TOL for is in Rancho Cordova (the old Mathis AFB), Ca, I probably will not wear a three hundred dollar suit to work, but I won't think twice to go down to the local Sears or JC Penny's and buy a nice pair of Dockers and an Arrow/Van Heusen button down shirt and a nice sweater or matching jacket and maybe wear a tie on my first day, you know, just in case. But this is just my humble option, and I can understand were the "grandfather" controllers, all respect intended, would like to go back to the old "clean and proper", especially after the pay cuts.

Wow, that was long winded, even for me.

Back