Air France A350 suffers tail strike during go around at Toronto

So confused as to why this even happened. Don't spoilers deploy (if armed properly) once the mains hit tarmac with the autobrakes getting going as well?

Forgive a perhaps simple question from someone not usually sitting up front in heavy 'Buses... This is odd.
If I remember right a common scenario on the smaller buses is a crew bouncws with the thrust levers still above idle, so the spoilers don’t deploy. Plane bounces, then thrust levers come to idle and super high sink rate happens with the resulting pitch up/tail strike.

If I remember right a common scenario on the smaller buses is a crew bouncws with the thrust levers still above idle, so the spoilers don’t deploy. Plane bounces, then thrust levers come to idle and super high sink rate happens with the resulting pitch up/tail strike.

That was actually what got me thinking about it on longer runways. Not necessarily bouncing, but putting it down more than once or leaning into one side for crosswind corrections -- it'd all still deploy only as long as the throttles were at idle.
Thanks for the clarification dude.

That was actually what got me thinking about it on longer runways. Not necessarily bouncing, but putting it down more than once or leaning into one side for crosswind corrections -- it'd all still deploy only as long as the throttles were at idle.
The manuals and some of the stuff I’ve found online actually kind of suck, but I believe the thrust levers go to idle in the air on the bounce, which then deploys the spoilers in the air and… whammo.

I see that France is also at peak pilot shortage. C'est la vie
I need to see if I can find the threads on pprune about the Concorde, but some of the stories about that thing and the shenanigans Air France got up to were wild. I believe they came close to losing one a few times before 4590.

I need to see if I can find the threads on pprune about the Concorde, but some of the stories about that thing and the shenanigans Air France got up to were wild. I believe they came close to losing one a few times before 4590.

I'd be interested in seeing such info. I recently got on a weird "I've never really thought about what it was like flying Concorde" kick. Pretty wild airplane on so many levels.

I'd be interested in seeing such info. I recently got on a weird "I've never really thought about what it was like flying Concorde" kick. Pretty wild airplane on so many levels.
The former Concorde chief pilot for BA has a book about it that just came out recently, pretty interesting stuff but still focused a lot on the crash, I thought there’d be a lot more about the day to day flying part. I think a handful of those guys ended up writing books on the Concorde though.
I really wish I could find the pprune threads I saw a while ago. Some of the stories about them training the Braniff guys down in DFW were hilarious.

The real important question is whether the pilots were two white men?

The Southern Airways Express off airport landing was a white woman pilot and the other pilot was Ahmed Awais. Talk about a DEI sandwich! Too much accumulation of DEI on the leading edges of the wing, causing an off-airport landing. ;)

The Southern Airways Express off airport landing was a white woman pilot and the other pilot was Ahmed Awais. Talk about a DEI sandwich! Too much accumulation of DEI on the leading edges of the wing, causing an off-airport landing. ;)
I like it when you poke fun at your own position on a topic. Brings out those glimmers of hope and everything. :smoke:

“We had to avoid a long landing” was their stated reason for go around. They make no mention of tail strike and seem unaware as they make their 2nd approach.

At least in the 350’s little brother, with one truck down and thrust levers at idle, you get half spoilers.

Back