Air Force OTS (Pilot)- What are my chances?

Calisoccer

I just completed the AFOQT and got my scores back. I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me what my chances are of getting into the Air Force OTS pilot rated?

B.S. Political Science and B.S. History
GPA- 2.9
AFOQT scores
Pilot- 94
Nav- 85
A.A.- 70
Verbal- 44
Quant.- 84

I'm 21 and I only have 10 flight hours under my belt. I know that my verbal score is pretty low as well, but is that going to stop me from being a pilot? Thanks everyone.

What was your PCSM score for pilot? It is a combination of the AFOQT and the BAT test (don't know what it's called now). It is said that they believe the PSCM score is generally the percent chance you will make it through UPT. At any rate, 94 on pilot for the AFOQT is VERY good.

Your GPA may prompt the board to look and see which classes you had the lowest grades in. Be prepared to explain why those grades where what they were and how you would improve on that if you did the same thing again. I think your chances are excellent to at least get to see a board. I'm not sure what order the AD does the medical, though. Some Guard units do the medical AFTER selection, but the outcome of that, of course, determines whether you get through or not.

In the mean time, fly as much as you can. I'm sure you've probably seen that 200 hours maxes the weight of experience. There are a lot of pilots out there applying, but I think your chances are still excellent.

FWIW, my verbal was a 38 and I was still selected. They only care about pilot.

Last I heard GPA is not a consideration for AD applicants anymore, so you might be in luck.

Wantscheck.com has pilot select stats for the past million years. Your AFOQT scores look decent. Take the TBAS and let us know what your PCSM is.

It would help a lot to get your PPL.

"Whole person" stuff and LORs count as well, but not too heavily on AD UPT boards.

Have you talked to a recruiter? They'll send you to MEPS for a commissioning physical...I'd recommend doing this soon if you think there's anything wrong with you that you might need a waiver for. The Flying Physical won't be until after OTS.

Your AFOQT scores look fine..get your flight time up, infact i'd recommend going through with your PPL. PCSM score as I have read can vary a significant amount by additional flight experience. It will also be determined by how well you do on the TBAS (Test of basic aviation skills). Im going through this whole process myself right now so I will share more info as I get it.

After you take the TBAS, your score sheet will show you exactly to what extent additional flight time will increase your PCSM.

After you take the TBAS, your score sheet will show you exactly to what extent additional flight time will increase your PCSM.

He has no chance at all.

j/k :)

He has as good a chance as any.....thats the route I took in 1996.

I like your tagline "Goodbye civilian aviation". Hope it doesn't become "Hello UAVs" :)

He has no chance at all.

j/k :)

He has as good a chance as any.....thats the route I took in 1996.

I like your tagline "Goodbye civilian aviation". Hope it doesn't become "Hello UAVs" :)

Haha I hope so too. I'm going reserves at Hill, though. If Big Blue stays with the current plan I'll be flying Vipers for a few years until JSF's show up (Hill is slated to be the first base to receive them). I'm learning quickly to not trust any long term plans from the powers at be though...

Two questions:

1. Are you willing to be a military officer even if you don't get selected for Pilot/Nav/ABM?

If not, don't even waste your time.

2. Are you physically qualified?

If not, why bother?

It is said that they believe the PSCM score is generally the percent chance you will make it through UPT.

PCSM.jpg

I just completed the AFOQT and got my scores back. I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me what my chances are of getting into the Air Force OTS pilot rated?

B.S. Political Science and B.S. History
GPA- 2.9
AFOQT scores
Pilot- 94
Nav- 85
A.A.- 70
Verbal- 44
Quant.- 84

I'm 21 and I only have 10 flight hours under my belt. I know that my verbal score is pretty low as well, but is that going to stop me from being a pilot? Thanks everyone.

Why ask the question? No one here knows what the AF needs are, and no one here knows what your competition is. Your time is better spent contemplating if you really want a career in which you could die killing people and breaking things in defense of the US Constitution.

It's great that you want to serve, but are you doing so for the benefit of your fellow citizens, or your own?

I thought it was a legitimate question. Anyway, no one thing will get you a slot. Your scores are competitive enough that the decision will be based on other factors such as leadership qualities, level of responsibility in extracurricular activities, ability to be a team player, overall impression & personality, and ability to keep your nose clean. You'll be racked and stacked against your peers and the board will fill the slots they've been allocated. I don't know what commissioning source(s) you're seeking, but here are some things that can help regardless:

1. Fly. Maximize your PCSM score and have something to show for those hours like additional certificates/ratings. But don't fly so much that the UPT instructors have to undo all your bad habits. Sometimes the students who have difficulty are ones who have 1000s of hours, an ATP, an airline job, etc because they're pretty set in their ways and can't adapt to the military way (this statement doesn't apply to everyone--one of our DGs was holding a seniority number at Comair).

2. Be active in extra curricular activities and hold responsibile leadership positions. Use that opportunity to develop yourself into the best leader possible. Remember, we're not just looking for pilots--we're looking for someone who can be a successful military OFFICER (leader).

3. Stay out of trouble, especially with alcohol. Nuff said about that one.

4. Strive to be the best in everything you do. Excellence is the standard. If you could be doing things better, find out what to change to improve the finished product. You want to stand out among your peers in a good way.

5. Get and stay physically fit. It'll make military life much easier.

6. Work to better your interviewing skills. A buddy of mine, who is a good guy, recently interviewed for a slot and was not selected mostly because he didn't know how to sell himself to an interview board in the 15-20 minutes he had to make the right impression.

7. Last (not least, I put it last because if you remember one thing, remember this), be able to answer the question in your own mind "Why do you want to serve as an officer in the US Air Force?" Make sure you know what you're committing yourself to for 6-11 years or longer when you sign on the dotted line and raise your right hand. If you're selected as a pilot, you owe 10 years beginning when you pin on your wings, regardless of whether or not you're able to continue flying for whatever reason. Is the idea of multiple lengthy deployments compatable with what you expect in terms of a family life? Is the military lifestyle for you? Personally, I love what I do, but it's not always fun and games--there's a very serious side to this business. Ask yourself why you want to be a part of it, and be able to articulate that reasoning.

Back