Advice needed

1675116784785.jpeg

If you're unsure about your future with a company, now is a great time to look at other opportunities.

Put your applications out there, see if anyone bites. You'll know if it's the right move by how you feel after the interview.
Interview is like having company come over, everyone is on best behavior. Im not sure its an accurate representation for the airline to make a decision on. I guess you could tell if it was bad, but I imagine most would leave someone with a good feeling.

I mean 12th yr as a milestone, in that payscales are Year 1-12. That’s what I mean by maxed out. Though some union thugs can explain to me why it’s only a 12 yr scale?

I’ve only flown narrowbodies. I do that Hawaii flying like you out of LAX. My kids are young, I value time at home. This month, I only had 3 overnights. Next month, I only have 2 overnights. It is literally a day job for me :)

With young kids, I love that. More power to you, if I didn’t have kids, I’d be all over the world. But as it stands, the idea of an A350 and being gone 5-7+ nights doesn’t appeal to me, at all. Different priorities for different folks. I’m loving my day trips right now. :)

If it works out, I spend 15 yrs or so in the top 10% and retire #2…

austin-powers-mike-myers.gif
Youd be nuts to leave that seniority. Youll have to just live with the fact that some flying you wont do in your career and it sounds like youre fine with that.

Youd be nuts to leave that seniority. Youll have to just live with the fact that some flying you wont do in your career and it sounds like youre fine with that.

Absolutely.

My own son (just turned 10, but 9 a few months ago) when I had just two overnights the month, the rest were day trips: “daddy you’re always home now. What happened?”

To think, that a young kid knows what it means when a father leaves home work for and is gone multiple nights. AND. That the kid realizes now that the father is home a whole lot more often.

Kids pay attention. And they know.

Jan I had 3 total overnights. Feb I only have 2 overnights the whole month. Otherwise, all day trips. This is game changer stuff. I don’t think I’d trade this away for any other job now.

Absolutely.

My own son (just turned 10, but 9 a few months ago) when I had just two overnights the month, the rest were day trips: “daddy you’re always home now. What happened?”

To think, that a young kid knows what it means when a father leaves home work for and is gone multiple nights. AND. That the kid realizes now that the father is home a whole lot more often.

Jan I had 3 total overnights. Feb I only have 2 overnights the whole month. Otherwise, all day trips. This is game changer stuff. I don’t think I’d trade this away for any other job now.
I figure if you wanna go to Paris or something, you can always go on vacation, take the wife and kids, and not have to worry about all the work related stuff of managing jet lag and you can actually enjoy vacation.

Absolutely.

This ^^^

I know a good number of people likely think I'm absolutely nuts for turning down Delta to stay Corporate, but I'm honestly shocked when I have more than 2-3 nights a month in a hotel. My kids are 4 and 7 and I love that I see them at dinner time 25+ nights a month. That time is priceless.

To the OP, I am in my 12th year at the company in which you are possibly going to be hitched to. I have no regrets about not going to the big 3 or the 2 cargo outfits. My circumstances allow me to have a really good QOL. With that said who knows what bases survive if the merger happens(besides the obvious ones). If I were you I wouldn’t hesitate to put my application in at those fore mentioned airlines. Give yourself options and then make a decision. No one ever leaves DL or UA to come to Blue Juice Factory but plenty do the opposite(we have had a couple of UPS guys come over, head scratcher). Good luck in whatever you’re going to do.

-For reference, I sit at about 39% on the overall seniority list

This is exactly me too... 12th year pay, last I checked 38.5%

After years of commuting across the country I'm finally based at home. I can be a lineholder if I choose. Do I have regrets, maybe? But that ship sailed long ago. I went to the 'widget calc' and I will never recover my seniority or recover financially prior to retiring. It would all come down to professional satisfaction and flying widebodies. (Which being based at home is much more important to me than the type of flying that I am doing.)

The important thing to remember is that... 1.) This is a highly personal decision. 2.) This is a mathematical decision.

When looking at a SLI you have to ask yourself where do you think that you will end up and how will that effect your prior seniority progression till retirement. The other very important mathematical decision is the replacement of 65-75% of the legacy pilot corps between '18-'32 due to retirements. We are in about to crest that wave of the major portion of those retirements for the next 4-6 years. So, your age is a factor. The economy is a factor. (except it isn't also... because of said retirements.) Really the best thing I can say is collect as much data as you can prior to making a decision. And it doesn't hurt to interview, until you have a decision to make it's just hypothetical.

Oh and it not a ULCC and a LCC. Something something... sweet spot. :)

Absolutely.

Does he now say. "Now that you're home more, baba, you just traded it and you're on your computer more now, arguing with strangers on the internet." :D

You made a good choice, bro!

Does he now say. "Now that you're home more, baba, you just traded it and you're on your computer more now, arguing with strangers on the internet." :D

You made a good choice, bro!

80% is on the phone. And they’re in school and post-activities most of the day. I don’t let it interfere with kids time.

(Sorry if wrong subforum)

Currently in the left seat at a ULCC, around 45% company wide. Being displaced out of my current base and into a 2 leg commute. Current base is indefinite reserve, even if I can get back soon. The 2 leg commute I’ll be a fringe line holder and could potentially drop/swap or pick up out of base.

options:
-deal with the awful commute and potentially be sitting reserve for a bit and hope to get back to original base which will be indefinite reserve but a drive to work
-downgrade to stay in original base but easily hold whatever I want
-leave the ulcc behind for a legacy that will always be around in the original base (tough seniority pill to swallow)

Kickers: Said ULCC is merging with LCC. Downgrade might hurt SLI standing. Also, have an infant at home. Still 30 years left in career (well hopefully 20-25 lol)

Appreciate the advice.

I always chose what would keep me around the house the most to help with the kids. While the kids were young it was tough.....IMO being away on a 4 day is easier than doing day trips and helping out as well...However I know my wife appreciates that I was around to help and not spending half the week away leaving her with 2 toddlers.

The dynamic changes as the kids get older. Mine are now elementary school age, busy with activities, sports, homework etc....I enjoy now being home to help out and spend time with them. So now me being home is more about me and them, whereas before it was more about me being home to support my wife.

But the time flies by...And most people only get to experience this age of their children for a short time. It comes and it's gone. Enjoy it.

Back