Advice needed

I'm at the same shop you are but I'm top 20% and took a voluntary displacement to stay off reserve in my base in which I also live. To me it was more important to stay off a potential reserve line then stay in base, with being able to drop and pick up out of base it's *kind of* working, plus I'm very senior in my new base which helps. I have to say with 30 years left I'd be running out of this place like it was on fire, esp if you can be based where you live. I have a less then half that time left at best and I've been here 10 years, even with that I still threw my apps out last year and through a very weird twist had my interview at a legacy cancelled twice both times because I had covid. As @Box hauler said it's becoming a golden handcuffs situtation for me the longer I'm here. You have to do whats right for you, but I would at least apply and see if you get the job, as my wife likes to remind me "you don't have a choice to make until you have a choice to make."

(Sorry if wrong subforum)

Currently in the left seat at a ULCC, around 45% company wide. Being displaced out of my current base and into a 2 leg commute. Current base is indefinite reserve, even if I can get back soon. The 2 leg commute I’ll be a fringe line holder and could potentially drop/swap or pick up out of base.

options:
-deal with the awful commute and potentially be sitting reserve for a bit and hope to get back to original base which will be indefinite reserve but a drive to work
-downgrade to stay in original base but easily hold whatever I want
-leave the ulcc behind for a legacy that will always be around in the original base (tough seniority pill to swallow)

Kickers: Said ULCC is merging with LCC. Downgrade might hurt SLI standing. Also, have an infant at home. Still 30 years left in career (well hopefully 20-25 lol)

Appreciate the advice.
If you’re in a legacy hub, get out now. Too many unknowns with Spirit/JetBlue.

If you're unsure about your future with a company, now is a great time to look at other opportunities.

Put your applications out there, see if anyone bites. You'll know if it's the right move by how you feel after the interview.

(Sorry if wrong subforum)

Currently in the left seat at a ULCC, around 45% company wide. Being displaced out of my current base and into a 2 leg commute. Current base is indefinite reserve, even if I can get back soon. The 2 leg commute I’ll be a fringe line holder and could potentially drop/swap or pick up out of base.

options:
-deal with the awful commute and potentially be sitting reserve for a bit and hope to get back to original base which will be indefinite reserve but a drive to work
-downgrade to stay in original base but easily hold whatever I want
-leave the ulcc behind for a legacy that will always be around in the original base (tough seniority pill to swallow)

Kickers: Said ULCC is merging with LCC. Downgrade might hurt SLI standing. Also, have an infant at home. Still 30 years left in career (well hopefully 20-25 lol)

Appreciate the advice.
Any desires for more trans-oceanic flying?

Thats a tough one. 2 leg commutes suck.
Make a list of all the pros and cons
Discuss it with your wife, if she isn't onboard it won't be good.

Are able to stack reserve days into long stretches to reduce the number of commutes?
How do you feel about the economy? If you think the music will stop soon, do you want to be on the bottom of a list?
Is all your family around you at your current house? IF you move to the new base temporarily will you wife have support if she needs it with your child. Nothing worse than being on the road and your wife gets sick or worse. I've had that happen when I was 2000 miles from home. Thankfully all our family was around us and able to get my wife to the hospital and take care of the kiddos.

Thats a tough one. 2 leg commutes suck.
Make a list of all the pros and cons
Discuss it with your wife, if she isn't onboard it won't be good.

Are able to stack reserve days into long stretches to reduce the number of commutes?
How do you feel about the economy? If you think the music will stop soon, do you want to be on the bottom of a list?
Is all your family around you at your current house? IF you move to the new base temporarily will you wife have support if she needs it with your child. Nothing worse than being on the road and your wife gets sick or worse. I've had that happen when I was 2000 miles from home. Thankfully all our family was around us and able to get my wife to the hospital and take care of the kiddos.

This is my biggest fear. We don’t have family here. We have made some family friends. But everyone’s got their jobs/schedules. If my wife had to hit the hospital and I’m 2,000 miles away, my kids are stranded. Maybe until one of our family friends locally can help out.

If you're unsure about your future with a company, now is a great time to look at other opportunities.

Put your applications out there, see if anyone bites.
1674598817123.gif

Put your applications out there, see if anyone bites. You'll know if it's the right move by how you feel after the interview. when you retire.

Fixed that for you :)

Actually, no.

If the thought even crosses your mind, see what's out there. If you get a taste and find the experience bitter, you're probably at the right place.

This isn't a go-see-if-you-like-it-or-go-back-to-your-old-ways thing! Seniority system = golden handcuffs. If I walk away to go to DL/AA/UA and then by the end of this year things go tits up and I get a WARN letter and subsequently furloughed, I can't just knock on my current airline's door and say give me back my 12th yr CA slot. If I was to make a move like this right now with my seniority, only retirement would tell me if the move was right.

Although I should admit you did say "if you're unsure about your future at your company." That caveat does change things, and I wouldn't blame a guy for looking elsewhere in his shoes.

Two leg commute = absolute hell.

Lifelong one leg commute = hell. (Sorry man, I have no clue how you've done it so far)!

It feels like you're trying to convince yourself you're happy!

But the original poster had the question.

I’ve made my opinions on CA clear. :). I go where the job takes me. Both airlines I’ve worked at were not the ones I applied to. They became something else. I’ve had it really good, all things considered.

I am happy. If I had to do over, I wouldn’t have done anything different with the info known at the time.

Meh. I tend to look at my career as more of a journey than a destination (and try to encourage others to do the same). It’s a challenge, of course, among highly ambitious people. My career has been very, ahem, scenic. There have been many twists and turns, many of them self-imposed.

But it seems to have worked out (so far). I left a ULCC after 12yrs, just hit year six at a Legacy, just upgraded, and have been home based for 4 (after 14 yrs of commuting).

Does it sting a little when I run into college classmates who’ve been here 15+years? Maybe. But I know they’ve had their share of challenges. And I honestly don’t have time for regerts…

First world problems are still problems. In theory I'd say you're still on the front of a wave. Will that be enough buffer in case of a recession? Who knows. I agree with the others who've said you don't have a choice until you have a choice. Shoot the apps out, otherwise this is all a theoretical exercise. Good luck.

Back