Advice for Touring a Facility...

jayzee510

so i know there are a few posts on getting to tour a certain facility, but i was just looking for a pointer or two on what to do/expect when i go on a tour.

i'm going to tour MSY on Mon., Aug 4th. I know its not my PEPC or interview but i guess i'm gonna dress casually professional.

from anyone that has been on a tour, what did you do there?(other than tour:crazy:) and what, if anything, did the manager ask you?

also, the person that takes you around; this will probably be your boss someday. does it help to be meeting with this person before gro prefs or PEPC?

so i know there are a few posts on getting to tour a certain facility, but i was just looking for a pointer or two on what to do/expect when i go on a tour.

i'm going to tour MSY on Mon., Aug 4th. I know its not my PEPC or interview but i guess i'm gonna dress casually professional.

from anyone that has been on a tour, what did you do there?(other than tour:crazy:) and what, if anything, did the manager ask you?

also, the person that takes you around; this will probably be your boss someday. does it help to be meeting with this person before gro prefs or PEPC?
Of the 4 tours I got of different facilities, they were all done by folks from the training department, not the managers. At ZSE they split our group up and let us plug-in and listen for about 30 minutes or so. My last tour at SEA I got to listen in on local, but I was alone that time (was after my interview was done there). I recommend business casual.

I know it's been covered, but how did you get it set up? I can't find the facility rep on the NATCA site to worm my way in...

just my $.02 I'm touring one of my "dream pref's" that I hope to put down for GEO PREFS for PubNat2 (CMH, Columbus, OH) and I'll give a short run down tomorrow of my specific experience and any "juicy gossip" I hear...

I was also led on my tour by someone in the training department, though i did get a chance to meet just about all the supervisors and managers(toured ZTL). The worst part of the tour was when people would look at me crazy when i told them i hadn't been to a CTI school and had no aviation experience. It was very informative though, because one of the trainers gave me a packet from a student he knew in OKC, which included many of the tests, and a map of the airspace we need to learn while in OKC.

Wear jeans and sneakers an a t-shirt. Makes the controllers pine for the old days.

I wore jeans on the first tour i took, but i had a dress shirt on and dress shoes. For sure was the last time i wore jeans....

Bring a treat of some sort as a token of appreciation! In my culture we never go empty handed to anyones house, treat it the same way! I brought donuts, and that went SUCH A LONG WAY. No joke. Show that you care, and thank them for allowing your the opportunity.

I really think since the tour i have a much better shot at a certain facility. If you can, try and get the ATM to give you the tour and stuff. I was lucky enough to have the ATM give me the tour at 2 facilities.:rawk:

I wore jeans on the first tour i took, but i had a dress shirt on and dress shoes. For sure was the last time i wore jeans....

Bring a treat of some sort as a token of appreciation! In my culture we never go empty handed to anyones house, treat it the same way! I brought donuts, and that went SUCH A LONG WAY. No joke. Show that you care, and thank them for allowing your the opportunity.

I really think since the tour i have a much better shot at a certain facility. If you can, try and get the ATM to give you the tour and stuff. I was lucky enough to have the ATM give me the tour at 2 facilities.:rawk:

OK...Seriously here. Bringing a "TREAT" just for a tour? I think that is a little on the "what in the hell?" category.

I'm all for kissing a little ass to get the job done, but give me a break!

OK...Seriously here. Bringing a "TREAT" just for a tour? I think that is a little on the "what in the hell?" category.

I'm all for kissing a little ass to get the job done, but give me a break!

Did you read my culture part?

Did they not take time to show you the facility? Say flipping THANK you. Maybe i'm just courteous, and understand that they went out of THERE way to show me something.

I'm not saying to bring them rolexes. I brought donuts since it was early in the morning....

But whatever floats your boat boss. I dont have to question my courtesy and respect.

Did you read my culture part?

Did they not take time to show you the facility? Say flipping THANK you. Maybe i'm just courteous, and understand that they went out of THERE way to show me something.

I'm not saying to bring them rolexes. I brought donuts since it was early in the morning....

But whatever floats your boat boss. I dont have to question my courtesy and respect.

Actually---its out of THEIR way, but what ever works...

Hah so that's what you have in return to say? You call out the one grammatical error?

This was quite the comeback. Can we please be a big kids here?

Although, I have to say, the whole there/their thing is quite a pet peeve....

Well...to give you a little tip on AMERICAN culture........(Dont forget where you are!!!)

Bringing in food or "treats" as you call it is a little over the top... Especially since you dont have any working relations with ANY of the staff members at the facility. I believe that most of the members on here would agree with that statement.

You'll always be know as the "Little donut kid" at that facility.

Back