Advice for Touring a Facility...

Hey Bigey,

It also helps to bring doughnuts when you are going to be late. I've spent many a dollar on Krispy Kreme in the morning. It makes everyone forget what time it is.

Did you read my culture part?

Did they not take time to show you the facility? Say flipping THANK you. Maybe i'm just courteous, and understand that they went out of THERE way to show me something.

I'm not saying to bring them rolexes. I brought donuts since it was early in the morning....

But whatever floats your boat boss. I dont have to question my courtesy and respect.

I think what you did is generous. Years back I toured STL tower/tracon (when they were all in one fac) and my group of four took two dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts to the controllers. We didn't hear one complaint that day and got an excellent tour of the facility.

HD

well my tour is at 2:00 on Monday... they're gonna be a little past the doughnut stage... hmmm.... i think i'll just bring my happy little self and be very appreciative. No offense though i guess its a good idea.

thanks for the input ATLTRACON - but i won't be able to bring myself to wear jeans, though i'd love to

Well...to give you a little tip on AMERICAN culture........(Dont forget where you are!!!)

Bringing in food or "treats" as you call it is a little over the top... Especially since you dont have any working relations with ANY of the staff members at the facility. I believe that most of the members on here would agree with that statement.

You'll always be know as the "Little donut kid" at that facility.

Uhm, I think the "American" culture your alluding to is the one that has been screwed up and twisted into a culture of "I am only looking out for number 1, and if anyone does something nice for someone else...it has to be because they are sucking up". He is exactly right about doing something in return for the controllers giving him a tour and its not kissing ass, its being considerate. If all you think about is yourself and what you can do to get ahead...well then I can see how you would interpret a kind act as a selfish one. I know opinions are like buttholes and everyone has one, but figured I would share mine.

Our generation has grown up thinking everything is about them and that people only do nice things to get ahead. Get over yourself and do something more positive than trying to bring people down to your level. Feel free to respond and hopefully you can understand what I am saying.

And lastly, I think most here would disagree with your statement. Who in their right mind would not want free donuts? :nana2:

The problem with bringing something on the first meeting is that you set the bar really high....where do you go from there??

Next thing you know, you have to bring Subway sandwich platters and Starbucks....

Otherwise, you'll just be that kid that brought the donuts that one time, and then let everyone down :) I'm so glad I don't have to deal with that kind of pressure...

Way to go Bigey, way to go.

And these are the ones who are going to be working our skies. . .soon . . .or eventually. . .or whenever the FAA follows through with their staffing forecast.

:confused:

one would think that a stranger bearing food would be a security nono, since you could take out half the office.

one would think that a stranger bearing food would be a security nono, since you could take out half the office.

That's what I thought too... I would never consider bringing something with me if I'm just a visitor for the day.

Egh, a token of appreciation is certainly not over the top... if we did it to "get ahead" I think I might have brought each of them a playboy and a case of beer... sure would at least make things interesting... controllers professing their love in a drunken stuper to every female pilot on the radio... earpieces and headsets being amplified by empty beer cans... flight plan strips being ornamented with centerfolds... not a bad job... but you know... donuts work too... I couldn't care less if people called me the donut kid if I was the donut kid who makes $80,000+ (eventually, of course). That $6 box of donuts could be the best thing you ever invested in :D. I have a sneaking suspiscion that the average weight of ATCers is going to be on the rise over the next month as all us PUBNATS stuff donuts down their throats... some poor soul is gonna take donuts in and they'll be like "For God's sake, NO. MORE. DONUTS!"

SO... anyway... I toured CMH this morning... brand new tower ($22 million) state of the art everything... very "mature" (read as "not a lot of people under the age of 35") tower... I asked about staffing levels there and they gave the persona of "we're all set here". But nonetheless... they were very supportive and encouraged me to apply there. My tour was given by the tower manager and a few supervisors who were very informative and courteous. Even offered to write me a little bit of a recommendation letter as well as have the regional director (or someone of that caliber) write a few nice words about me too! :rawk:That should neutralize that stunning 83.7 on the ATSAT lol. Also said that Cleveland Center is pretty desperate for folks right now and as we all know, Center is where the $$$ is!

Funny story though, one of the supes elaborated on how the FAA's hiring process is not very official and even mentioned hearing some bit of truth to the "everyone whose SSN ends in 0 got hired" story :confused: WHY ZERO!!?? AND WHY NOT 3!!??

Clear skies and tailwinds...

Yeahhhhhh.....

Because the boxes arent sealed and it's not possible to tell if the donuts were tampered with?

I brought Krispy Kreme specifically, not a local donut shop. Krispy Kreme are all lined up in the box. Everyone knows how they look.

Again, it's not the gift itself, it's the thought.

And setting the bar high? Really, what the hell? It's not like i'm taking tours all the damn time, i'm simply showing a gesture of gratitude for allowing the opportunity to be presented. Really, NOT ONE CONTROLLER was like "WTF?." They were all actually really MOVED since they were having quite a few people touring the facility in the past few weeks and only i brought something.

The way i'm getting the vibe from certain people is that they're upset that they didnt think of bringing stuff...so instead of saying "hey, good move!" they're trying to justify their lack of courtesy.....

Yeahhhhhh.....

Because the boxes arent sealed and it's not possible to tell if the donuts were tampered with?

I brought Krispy Kreme specifically, not a local donut shop. Krispy Kreme are all lined up in the box. Everyone knows how they look.

And setting the bar high? Really, what the hell? It's not like i'm taking tours all the damn time, i'm simply showing a gesture of gratitude for allowing the opportunity to be presented. Really, NOT ONE CONTROLLER was like "WTF?." They were all actually really MOVED since they were having quite a few people touring the facility in the past few weeks and only i brought something.

The way i'm getting the vibe from certain people is that they're upset that they didnt think of bringing stuff...so instead of saying "hey, good move!" they're trying to justify their lack of courtesy.....

It was a joke Bigey...about setting the bar high...come on now....

Yeahhhhhh.....

Sealed huh? K.

Then after you left they all said "what was with the freak with the box?"

Back