AA Pilot disciplined for taxiing too slow

Very true.

However, slippery slope comes to mind. The PIC's authority to operate an aircraft was a long, hard-fought struggle. Now we have 'Captain Company-man' making a determination that another pilot is taxiing to slowly. While he isn't even in the same aircraft. Crazy stuff.

Where does it stop? What is the next ludicrous determination from the CP's office......

Very true.

However, slippery slope comes to mind. The PIC's authority to operate an aircraft was a long, hard-fought struggle. Now we have 'Captain Company-man' making a determination that another pilot is taxiing to slowly. While he isn't even in the same aircraft. Crazy stuff.

Agree 100%. My comments were directed at some blanket statements issued earlier that seem to imply that captains have unlimited authority and do not have to answer for their actions, an assertion that I disagree with.

Agree 100%. My comments were directed at some blanket statements issued earlier that seem to imply that captains have unlimited authority and do not have to answer for their actions, an assertion that I disagree with.

A Captain should only have to answer for his actions under three circumstances:

1. Violating policy that is contained in written company manuals

2. Violating a regulation or law

3. Operating in a blatantly dangerous manner that obviously places people and property at risk

If the union wants to make the labor issues public, the last thing you want to do is piss off the public. Be the better side, do everything you can for the customers.

From a management perspective, I know you hate it, why would I want to pay pilots more money that do everything they can to cost me more money? Perform better and deserve the pay increase. That is how management thinks.

Merit is how management works. Yes it is tougher on an individual bases for pilots, but come on, you want the pilots to be united. Show the pilot group is worth the extra money. If you want more money from management, think like management.

If you are constantly bashing management on public forums, friends, media, and other pilots, why should they pay you more for you? Give me one reason? If pilots start taxiing too slow and causing delays that would not normally be a delay or cancellation, why should they pay you more?

The idea is to make them WANT to pay you more, not NEED to pay you more.

Even as someone that DOESN'T work for an airline: You're joking, right?

Welcome to the new world order. The only way to get a raise in regular corporate jobs anymore is to undercut them by threatening to jump ship and go to another company... If they comply, then you stay (But keep that resume up to date, because now they will be looking for you're replacement, but will keep you for now until they have a replacement in mind...) If not, then take your better offer and leave. Rule of thumb for working as a corporate slave. If you aren't switching jobs in this manner at least every 2 years, you aren't getting as much money as you could be. Management doesn't give a #### how good you do in any case, they are only there to punish you, not help or reward you.

This passenger is just fine with a crew taxing at a speed they think is appropriate.

I agree. Whatever the flight crew deems appropriate for taxi speed is fine by me when I'm sitting in the back. What I'm definitely NOT OK with is a member of the flight crew talking on their cell phone while taxiing. That is extremely dangerous for obvious reasons. Runway incursions are on the FAA's hot list right now, and it would be total BS if there is no action against that guy.

By the way, has it occurred to anybody that perhaps this AA pilot really was taxiing too slow, wasting fuel, delaying flights, miscconnecting passengers?

If it was that bad, ground would've said something. They didn't, so it wasn't.

Captain Osborne was so concerned about this incident that he used his cell phone while actively taxiing his aircraft (in violation of both Federal Aviation Regulations and Flight Manual Part 1) to contact SOC and have our Captain removed from the trip.
Im confused as to who really commited a violation here. a cellphone while operating an airliner? got to be kidding me.

The guy driving the train in LA that crashed was supposedly texting someone, missed repeated warnings to stop, and slammed into a freight train.

Someone help me understand the difference between being distracted because of texting, and being distracted because you are reporting a pilot via a cell phone, while in command of a moving airliner, at a busy airport. I am not seeing a difference.

I really hope they roast this guy - how easy could it be to miss a call to hold short, etc. I would appreciate updates regarding the certificate action on this guy. Certainly Chief Pilots have a tough job, and they have to balance management with the needs of their pilots...but for a pilot in a leadership position to exhibit this behavior is not only dangerous, but also "Frank Burns-ish".

Back