AA Pilot disciplined for taxiing too slow

American pilots do have a ton to do on taxi. Their checklists are the longest I've ever seen. Absolutely ridiculous. Plus the Captain basically has to do everything himself. FOs aren't allowed to engage the engine starter, so the Captain has to do it. If you've ever been up front on a DC-9 or MD-80 series airplane, then you know what this means on those types: holding the damned starter switch for the entire start cycle. It's not a nice push-button like on a CRJ. You actually have to keep your finger on the switch the entire time. This means he's steering the tiller with one hand and holding the start switch with the other. Not exactly conducive for fast taxiing.

As for the flying public, we have done focus groups and polling on this. No matter how much information you give the public, they still won't side with us. The data is clear: they just want their cheap tickets and their flight to run on time. Our problems aren't important to them, especially if it means they have to pay $2 more for a ticket to see Mickey Mouse.

Unbelievable that the CA's have that much to do and they still get reemed over slow taxi speeds. I guess the ex-TWA guys were right and their systems were superior.

We have debated a couple of times about the value of publicity and I mostly agree with you. BUT, this would be USAPA-take out an ad worthy. With the increased focus on runway incursions, and the very busy Captain trying to do his stuff, stay off actives, etc...then gets nailed for it. I would put it in the WSJ - full page.

Lotta ex-USAF guys at AMR, it's probably a carryover from that. AF crews taxi sloooow.

Actually, on long parallel taxiways, I taxi at speeds in the C-5 (20-30kts) that would get me a talking to in the 747 at the civilian job.

At any rate, I hope the FAA busts the guy for using the cell phone.

We have debated a couple of times about the value of publicity and I mostly agree with you. BUT, this would be USAPA-take out an ad worthy. With the increased focus on runway incursions, and the very busy Captain trying to do his stuff, stay off actives, etc...then gets nailed for it. I would put it in the WSJ - full page.

Beware of unintended consequences. Always plan the game several steps ahead. What would AMR's reaction be to such an ad? Knowing AMR, I can tell you that they won't back down, they'll retaliate. Most likely, they'll file suit in federal court alleging that the APA pilots are engaging in an illegal work action by slowing down. The only thing that keeps them from doing so already is the bad publicity. If you force the bad publicity on them anyway with your full-page ad, then they have no reason not to go to court. We don't have a good track record of winning such lawsuits in court. The last one that the APA had to fight resulted in them being fined $40 million. As it stands right now, AMR isn't taking the APA to court for fear of the bad publicity. This is the same reason that UAL didn't take ALPA to court during the "Summer of Love." If you force the bad publicity on them anyway, then you've lost your only protection. Not a smart move.

As a general rule, never follow uSAPa's example. ;)

Maurus, I've been doing this "union thing" for a long time. Committee member, committee chairman, elected rep, ALPA National volunteer, etc... Judging by your profile, you're pretty new to this whole industry. Take some friendly advice: listen to the guys who have been there and done that and try to learn something. Do you really think you're going to school a union rep on how unions work? Come on now.

I have done just that in real life actually. Has a great flight background including military and various airlines. One thing he hated, constant airline pilot complaining. At the same time he knows how to manage. Treat the pilots well that treat you well. Yes it was on a much smaller level, but he had great relations for a low paid group of CFI's. Maybe that dual received in a B-25 had something to do with it for the good pilots.

As for the flying public, we have done focus groups and polling on this. No matter how much information you give the public, they still won't side with us. The data is clear: they just want their cheap tickets and their flight to run on time. Our problems aren't important to them, especially if it means they have to pay $2 more for a ticket to see Mickey Mouse.

And what does the public hear in the media all the time? Flight delays and company financial problems caused by labor issues, ect. I just keep looking back at different articles each one talks about "labor issues" being one of the reasons for failing airlines. What do people percieve from this?

We aren't the ones doing the screwing, Maurus. We just want to bargain in good faith, and they refuse. When that happens, we retaliate. We never pick a fight, we just finish it.

I said to be the better side. Just because the management starts to tug a little doesn't mean you have to tug back. You could just leave your airline if you don't like it. Oh wait. Seniority is everything, funny how that works. :crazy:

You need to do some research. Specifically, you should look into what settled some very recent contract disputes. Let's start with UAL contract 2000. UAL management refused to negotiate in good faith with ALPA. ALPA played nice for quite a while, but the pilots eventually had enough. This culminated in what we called the "Summer of Love" in 2000. The pilots slowed down, sick calls shot up, airplanes got written up left and right, etc... The contract was settled in no time.

Come on, you know there is more to that. Managment was employee owned at that point in time. The owners legally wanted to acquire US. Airways and the employees illegally did their "summer of love". Basically a partial strike. The partial strike was only part of the issue as the US was heading toward a recession in 2000 and then Spet 11, 2001 which put the final blow to United Airlines managment which ended calling for recessions from workers, furloughs and bankrupcy. The bankrupcy is what ended a lot of the issues for United Managment and forced the labor into concessions in the end.

Now lets see the result of what has happened since then. This "success" for the pilots has turned out to be interesting. Year 2000 United had 10,500 pilots and is now down to 7,747 pilots. Wether it be to attrition or forced retirement, no new pilots were able to fill the spots. The extra loss of many was definately a factor in United Bankrupsy rebuilding time and could have allowed more jobs after bankrupcy, but instead United lost 25% of their pilots. Definately furthuring the profession...

Flash forward to 2007. The NWA pilots were operating under a horribly concessionary contract after bankruptcy. Their work rules were decimated. Schedules were unbearable. The pilots asked management repeatedly to come back to the table to negotiate some improvements to make their lives at least somewhat livable. As usual, management said NO. They refused to even sit down and talk about it. The pilots had enough. They started a "what about BOB (block or better)" campaign. Virtually every single flight in the system overblocked for a few months. Suddenly, management had a change of heart. Amazing how that works. Management rushed back to the table and quickly agreed to a slew of work rule improvements.

All I can find on this is the Labor Unions being pissed off because of the bonus of a CEO of over 26 million for getting NWA out of banruptcy. Unfortunately the CEO didn't ask for the bonus last I checked as it was given by the shareholders.

Another case: ASA. The ASA pilots spent over 5 years in negotiations. Management continually played games and refused to bargain in good faith. After the NMB parked them for the umpteenth time, the pilots had enough. They started taking the same actions that the UAL pilots had taken seven years prior. The result? Management suddenly decided that they were ready to make a deal. Know how long it took them to have a change of heart after the slow-down started? Three weeks! That's all it took.

The airline was also sold in the middle of this time which also would cause more delays for the contract. A simple search was not able to show me what the ASA labor issues were, but I was able to find that in 2006 ASA was the worst airline for on-time arrivals...

Why did I just give you a history lesson? Because you need to learn what works and what doesn't. The actions I just discussed have been proven to work time and time again. The things you are advocating have never worked in this industry. From the time of C.L. Cord to Lorenzo to Steenland, they're all the same. They will never treat us with respect until we force their hand. Welcome to the real world.

Funny how Lorenzo just left Eastern in the dust and continued with his Continental Airlines. How many people lost their jobs when Eastern bit the dust? How about AA unions in the 50's that if going to strike would have literally shut down half of the US's domestic flying if not stopped? Frankly these tactics don't always work as you make them seem.

I suggest you study the Railway Labor Act so you can understand how the process works. Simply put, we can't just strike whenever we feel it's appropriate. The government has to approve our strikes, and they rarely do. I would also recommend that you read "Flying the Line, Volumes I and II." They will give you a complete history of airline labor relations from the beginning up to the '90s.

I know it takes more than just wanting to strike to strike, but wouldn't any type of mediation be easier when all the good is on your side? Once the pilots start to whine and groan about everything and do partial strikes by just canceling flights, taxiing slow, and such, they lose leverage. Contract talks will take longer. Until shareholders force the management to make a deal they will wait it out as long as they can.

Get the leverage of good work ethics. You say the government rarely approves strikes, well how often do labor groups go looking to strike with a militant attitude? Curious on that one. I am not talking about representatives but the people actually walking the line as anyone approving anything would look at more than just the representative.

If you want to improve the profession you have to improve the pilot image. With only 12% of the us workforce being unionized, fighting management only helps management's cause.

This stupid industry just needs to be redone. Not talking regulation, but just a complete wipe and start over, but that is impossible.

Anyway I am done with the thread. No need to just go in circles.

Maurus -

Much of what you just argued was proven wrong by the very quotes you used to construct your points.

* * *​

I hope APA can get the captain's pay back for two weeks. If not then if each pilot at AA chipped in a dollar he'd get it back.

The FAA should have something to say about the chief pilot taxiing while on a cell phone. So far they seem to have said nothing, which is par for their inept course.

Maurus, there was so much wrong in your post that I wouldn't know where to begin. Besides, you've made it clear that you aren't willing to listen to people that are more experienced and knowledgeable than you. I guess you know it all with your 300 hours of flight time. :sarcasm:

When you're ready to learn, let me know. Until then, I hope you never come to the airlines. We don't need someone with your mentality here.

Marcus, if you keep this up people are going to think you're a troll. I'm not sure what your background is but I'm guessing you haven't been at an airline very long. Most airlines treat flight crews like widgets. They're expected to do a job and the airline would like nothing more than to replace them with a lower paid widget. They don't feel flight crews bring any particular talent to the table. Rather they're just another form of labor, much like the woman that cleans their toilet.

I would say the only company that is different in this aspect that I know of is SouthWest. My dad has told me that for the most part the crews and mechanics there constantly rally to save money and keep the airline on time. Why, because SWA crews make among the highest salaries in the industry. They also receive yearly profit sharing. This isn't because they were good little boys and girls. This is because they had a management team that could see that happy employees create a better product. In a capitalistic society you make people happy by paying them.

Railway Labor Act or not, regardless if they lose their jobs, what would really happen to the industry if a "band" of pilots refused to fly without better working conditions?

It may be "illegal," but hypothetically, what would happen if a group of pilots threw in the towel all at once, imbedding the idea that it "could" happen again ...

I'm not in the airline industry, and this may be a completely ignorant question, but I'm still curious to the hypothetical.

Negative. This is not a breakdown in CRM......No one suggested not doing their job. Fairly certain most op specs don't say much about idle chit-chat on the flight deck. Do your job....nothing more, nothing less. No breakdown in CRM. Don't expose yourself to extra scrutiny by chatting w/ the mgmt pilot who happens to be your CA for the day.

I have no problem with APA response as you have outlined above. None at all. I was specifically referring to the typical foaming at the mouth response by PCL.

Making a crew members life "hell"? In the cockpit? Anyone that advocates this, does this or condones this is a not a professional.

Railway Labor Act or not, regardless if they lose their jobs, what would really happen to the industry if a "band" of pilots refused to fly without better working conditions?

It may be "illegal," but hypothetically, what would happen if a group of pilots threw in the towel all at once, imbedding the idea that it "could" happen again ...

I'm not in the airline industry, and this may be a completely ignorant question, but I'm still curious to the hypothetical.

The courts would fine the union into bankruptcy and we would be without any protection, allowing the companies to do whatever they want. Bad idea. Illegal work actions don't work.

Making a crew members life "hell"? In the cockpit? Anyone that advocates this, does this or condones this is a not a professional.

Did I say "in the cockpit?" No, didn't think so.

You mean a strike by some sub-group of pilots, not by the union and not encouraged or supported by the union? That's what's known as a "wildcat" strike. As long as the union isn't supporting or encouraging it in any way, the union wouldn't be fined. The strike would be illegal so the striking pilots could (and probably would) be fired. Unless you could motivate a very large percentage of the work force to join in the wildcat strike (which is extremely difficult without union support), it wouldn't accomplish anything but end the careers of everyone who participated. Not generally a good idea. There's a reason you don't see wildcat strikes in this country anymore.

You said on the line. Where else can they make his life "hell" on the line? Anything that will spill over into the cockpit is a disease that should be excised from this profession.

The suspension of this pilot has already caused "hell" in the cockpits in a manner. Now, all AA pilots not only have to be concerned with their onerous taxi checklists as well as no runway incursions...they also have to wonder if a management guy is phoning to report them for taxing too slowly.

I understand that the managment pilots have a job to do, but given what we have learned about AA's procedures, as well as the dynamic ground enviornments at the busiest airports, I think this is way over the top and has already caused a bad situation.

Whether or not a pilot was taxiing "too slow" is a subjective question and impossible to answer here, so why anyone is wasting time on it is beyond me. However use of a cell phone while operating the airplane is a clear violation of regulations, and I am surprised more people are not looking into it.

That said, it seems to me that ALPA and management have been doing the same saber rattling for 60+ years. The pendulum swings both ways, but it seems to me that it seems to swing further and further in management's direction as time goes by. ALPA has been employing the same strategies for decades, and the only results are minimal gains usually followed by steeper losses. Maybe its time to try a different approach.

Professionalism is knowing your worth in the marketplace. Professionalism is doing your job to the best of your ability in spite of the working conditions, not in response to them. Professionalism is letting your work dictate your pay, not letting your pay dictate your work.

If you actually make a case for yourself the public will be on your side, right now the only case you guys have is that you are overworked. the overpaid and whiner stereotype still stands strong. Why?

Who cares?

The public thinks that athletes are overpaid.

It doesn't stop them from getting fat contracts, does it?

No employee should give a rat's ass over whether Joe Twelvepack thinks they're overpaid or not.

All they should give a crap about is how much money they can get from their employer.

To your employer, you are nothing but an expendable asset, to be used up and discarded when you are no longer useful.

So get as much as you can from them as quick as you can!

That said, it seems to me that ALPA and management have been doing the same saber rattling for 60+ years.

ALPA has nothing to do with this. The pilots at American are represented by the APA, a completely separate union.

You said on the line. Where else can they make his life "hell" on the line?

There are many things that can be done outside of the cockpit. I won't get into specifics, but many things have been done for years to SCABs. There are ways to exert immense peer pressure without it ever taking place on the flight deck. As far as what happens on the flight deck, I think the APA's recommendation to simply not talk to them is the best way to go.

Aren't you that guy that likes USC :) :) :)

:banghead: Who can forget that NJC faux pas. Apparantly I was confused by the fact that there was more than one non-doug black guy at the '06 LA meet.

I had KLB pegged for Marcus(777Forever) last year. Apparently I was not the only one who made that ASSumption at first though.

Back