AA hard landing with injures in Maui (1/27)

Obviously if there injuries then it’s a definite write up for suspected hard landing.

I mean landings at a place like SNA where a FA complains about a landing was hard, and then the flight crew just writes it up (whereas if the FA didn’t say anything, the crew wouldn’t have).

I’m already sick of hearing about SNA firm landings from the back. Yes it’s a firm landing, trust me you won’t like the alternative

Greater than -600ft/min at landing is what both shops I’ve worked at use for telling if landing was hard or not.

I’m already sick of hearing about SNA firm landings from the back. Yes it’s a firm landing, trust me you won’t like the alternative

Meh.

It’s 5,700 ft long. If it’s dry, it’s plenty. No reason to slam it on. 1,900 ft is enough to touchdown by if you are doing flaps 40.

Think of the avg places we go. How about 16R in SEA. 8,500 long, yet, even with flaps 30, how often can you easily make the N turnoff? That’s about 5,000. And without even really trying.

It’s mostly a mental thing. Knowing a runway is ending at 5,700 psyches out some people.

For a flaps 40 landing, I usually bring power out about half way around ~20-30ft and then right before settling, at around ~5 ft, bring the rest to idle. Lands fairly smooth. I have yet to float beyond 1,500 ft for a flaps 40 landing. On flaps 30 you can float and float, but with flaps 40, you are arriving… whether you anticipated that or not. :)

Meh.

It’s 5,700 ft long. If it’s dry, it’s plenty. No reason to slam it on. 1,900 ft is enough to touchdown by if you are doing flaps 40.

Think of the avg places we go. How about 16R in SEA. 8,500 long, yet, even with flaps 30, how often can you easily make the N turnoff? That’s about 5,000. And without even really trying.

It’s mostly a mental thing. Knowing a runway is ending at 5,700 psyches out some people.

For a flaps 40 landing, I usually bring power out about half way around ~20-30ft and then right before settling, at around ~5 ft, bring the rest to idle. Lands fairly smooth. I have yet to float beyond 1,500 ft for a flaps 40 landing. On flaps 30 you can float and float, but with flaps 40, you are arriving… whether you anticipated that or not. :)
Y’all doing Flaps 30 and making N in SEA = slamming leads into seat backs.

P is more better

Meh.

War story. First leg after OE on my first airline CA check out in a A320 w/o ever flying as a FO. Slam dunked into SNA (first time there), forgot to "Activate the Approach" (thanks for the help Mr. FO), I am high but "at least I'm fast." Overwhelming urge to continue the approach but finally listened to my gut, swallowed my pride and went around @ manditory stabilzation height. Totally embarrassed as I did another pattern but rolled it on, stopped easily with auto brakes. Called the chief pilot, told him what I had done. He says, "Oh that's nothing you should have seen what I did on my first B757 CA check out...." Whew, great boss. Later the Company implemented a max speed restriction at some point on the approach after reviewing FOQA data from various flights.

Last edited:
Back