Ramp Tower Controller/FIDS Administrator SFO(fulltime/parttime)

ChasenSFO

hen teaser
I've been asked to recruit controllers to both of my company's ramp towers at SFO. First off, I'm going to be very blunt. The pay is non-negotiable for the most part, and you can expect to start on the lower end of the pay scale and get passed over for a raise every year. I want to be clear about that. These are the two lowest paid ramp towers in the country in an area with a very high cost of living. However, what we lack in income, we make up for with an unheard of amount of freedom compared to other towers making this one of the best jobs you'll ever have. I've been here 2 years and I still love every second I spend on the clock, if you love commercial aviation and don't need this as a primary source of income, this is a dream job. Keep in mind SFO is very backed up for badging these days, and you can expect 1.5-2 months between the interview and day 1 of training. This isn't a "I NEED MONEY NOW" kind of gig. If you might be interested, here are the job postings and some info about both towers:

Ramp Tower 'D', the "Shadow Tower" Part-time:
Job Title: Ramp Controller I (D Tower)

Employer: Total Airport Services, Inc.

Job Location: San Francisco International Airport

Job Description: Entails positive control of aircraft within the assigned area in

accordance with procedures set forth by FAA and contracted agencies. Insure

compliance with all airport and company safety protocols. Exchange of information

and coordination with other agencies as needed. Operation of information systems,

video cameras, monitors, and aeronautical VHF telecommunications equipment

is required. Effective implementation of emergency and failure management

procedures. Other duties and responsibilities as needed. Flight operations are

normally conducted 0600-2345L. Day and swing shifts, weekdays, weekends, and

holiday work is required. Extended shifts and/or callbacks may be necessary.

Hours Per Week: Full time and Part time positions. Part-time is minimum 30hrs/

month ramp control with possible additional hours as required by Ramp Tower or

Cargo Warehousing facility.

Rate Per Hour: $14.00 and up, DOQ

Benefits:

Full-time/Permanent : Medical, Dental, 401(k), Vehicle parking, 8 paid holidays,

vacation.

Part-time/Temporary – Paid vehicle parking for controllers working minimum of

30hrs/week. Additional benefits pending.

Shifts: Day and Swing shifts. Shifts and days off are subject to change.

Qualifications: Must pass ten-year employment background check as required

by FAA and pre-employment drug screening. Previous air carrier, commercial,

or military aviation operations experience is highly advantageous. Requires

responsible individual with well-established work ethic, initiative, and detail-oriented

professional standards. Ability to focus on diverse responsibilities, manage complex

scenarios, and make prudent and mature decisions. Communication skills at a

level commensurate to providing accurate and timely information to other staff,

carriers, airport and governmental agencies to insure safe and efficient operations

are required. Proficiency with small office or home computer maintenance and LAN

management is a plus. Ability to lift & carry 50 lbs.

How To Apply: Email resume with cover letter to all of the following:

Bob Peterson Robert.Peterson@flysfo.com,

Michael Caldwell Michael.Caldwell@tasinc.aero, and

Ron Apostolopoulos ron.apostolopoulos@tasinc.aero

Additional documentation detailing specific qualifications may be submitted.

Company Website: Totalairportservices.com

They will most likely pay you $14/hr in this tower, and that is where your pay will stay. Training is very flexible, but once you're trained, the shift will be Fri-Sat 1430-2330. The shifts are considered 10 hours, so part time is a 30 hour work week. However, since you get no lunch break, you work 9 hours and get paid for 10. The AM shift is from 0545-1445, there are 2 fulltimers(4 days) and 2 part timers(3 days) running this tower all week, so there isn't much flexibility and when people go out, you have to pick up the slack. So you must be committed to the schedule, though you can try and swap AM for PM shifts. Everyone up there is an awesome guy and it's a total team effort, you very rarely hear from the company at all and you work alone. Having the former FAA control tower to yourself free to take pictures in your downtime, bring up visitors, ect. is unreal and never gets old. The bathroom situation is "interesting" as you need to have United ops pick up the mic for you and go several floors down to the nearest restroom. This tower is on a contract with United and you will control all ramp traffic using "the Shuttle ramp"(named after the Shuttle by United days in the 90s when the 737s parked here) which is gates 67-77C. United and Skywest make up all the traffic, it's usually slow with lots of downtime, but you don't have much space to work with and when you're holding airplanes, you had better think fast and get on the line with the FAA if you can't take then next inbound BEFORE it touches down. It is a great way to network with United ops(a great gig) and the FAA as the FAA tower is a few floors up and with a little effort, you can be on a first name basis with all the ATC guys. There is opportunity to transfer to the A-tower(there will be more openings) for slightly higher pay and fulltime work. You will park at Lot D(great for photos) at the end of runways 10R/L and take a shuttle bus to the terminal. It is the easiest job I've ever had, once you're comfortable. And man, you can NOT beat the view. A 747-400 rotating right below you never gets old. The boss is a real character, one of the most interesting people you'll ever meet, and a great guy.

Ramp Tower 'A', full-time:
Job Title: Ramp Controller / FIDS Controller (Tower A)

Employer: Total Airport Services, Inc.

Job Location: San Francisco International Airport

Job Description: Entails positive control of aircraft within the assigned area

in accordance with procedures set forth by FAA and contracted agencies.

Insure compliance with all airport and company safety protocols. Assignment

of common-use facilities (international gates, ticket counters, baggage makeup

belts and claim belts) using combined software applications (Flight Information

Display System/"FIDS"). Identification and resolution of issues within an

integrated software environment is an integral function of the job. Operation of

information display systems, video cameras and monitors, and aeronautical VHF

telecommunications equipment is required. Effective implementation of emergency

and failure management procedures. Other duties and responsibilities may be

assigned as needed. Flight operations are conducted 24/7/365. Day, swing, and

midnight shifts, weekdays, weekends, and holiday work is required. Extended shifts

and/or callbacks may be necessary. Periodic shift rotation can be anticipated in

order to maintain familiarity with all operational situations.

Hours Per Week: Full time, 40 hours

Rate Per Hour: $15.00 - $16.75, DOQ

Benefits:

Full-time/Permanent - Medical, Dental, 401(k), Supplemental Insurance, Vacation,

11 Floating Holidays (straight time), Vehicle Parking

Part-time/Temporary – None.

Shift: All (Day, Swing, Midnights). Shifts rotate periodically, and days off may be

subject to change. Ten-hour shifts, four-day workweek

Qualifications: Must pass ten-year employment background check as required

by FAA and pre-employment drug screening. Previous air carrier, commercial,

or military aviation operations experience is highly advantageous. Requires

responsible individual with well-established work ethic, initiative, and detail-
oriented professional standards. Ability to focus on diverse responsibilities, manage

complex scenarios, and make prudent and mature decisions. Communication

skills at a level commensurate to providing accurate and timely information to

other staff, carriers, airport and governmental agencies to insure safe and efficient

operations. Computer literacy with ability to identify and resolve issues within a

software integration environment. Proficiency with small office or home computer

maintenance and LAN management is a plus. Ability to lift & carry 50 lbs.

How To Apply: Email resume with cover letter to all of the following:

Bob Peterson, Manager, at Robert.Peterson@flysfo.com, and

Ron Apostolopoulos ron.apostolopoulos@tasinc.aero, and

Michael Caldwell Michael.Caldwell@tasinc.aero

Additional documentation detailing specific qualifications may be submitted.
This position is full-time, 40/hrs a week with 10 hour shifts so you get 3 days off per week...when we're staffed. While we do work full 10 hour days, we get 11 paid "floating holidays" we can take whenever we want(staffing permitted but it usually works out) plus we can shift trade. Thus, most of us never touch our vacation time and it stacks up. However, the pay is straight pay and this allows the company to NOT give us holiday pay on real holidays. You can expect to start between $15.25-$15.75 and stay there. It takes up to 6 months to get people trained in this tower, and many are leaving, so there may be times you work 70 hour weeks with lots of double time, but that is far from the norm. This tower is a 24/7 operation. Training will be weekdays either from 0700-1700 or 1000-2000, then a few night shifts later on. There are various shifts, the common ones being 0500-1500, 0700-1700, 1430-0030, and 1930-0530. The graveyard guys rarely do other shifts, so other than training and a shift here or there, you will rarely work them. Otherwise, until we're fully staffed long enough to have a bid which won't be anytime soon, you'll have "normalish" days you work, but your shifts will be all over the place(both days worked and hours) with 3 days off and you'll know a month in advance. Most shifts have 2 controllers on duty, and on weekdays the manager is in from 0700-1600 or so. You work two job sets, the obvious one being ramp control. Our control area covers just over 1/4 of the ramp area at SFO, it gets crazy sometimes. It's a ton of fun to get to talk to all the big boys, come this summer we'll have 3 A380s (Air France, British, and Emirates) coming in and out. You work very closely with the FAA as when you can't take planes in, they stack up all the guys trying to depart on the 01s and guys will enter all the time without calling and almost go nose-to-nose so you have to pay attention. The other part of the gig is FIDS Administration. We are the controlling authority for all common-use areas in the International Terminal. All the gates, ticket counters, baggage claims and make-up areas, and several random domestic common use assets are under our control as well as over-night parking spots. This position updates all the screens in the terminal so you are essentially the operations for every tenant airline passing information on to them with every change. You are also responsible for coordinating any gate or equipment closures and keeping the tenants updated while working around the issue. There are times where you are alone, and you are controlling airplanes and on the 2 phone lines which can be very stressful depending on your personality. I personally love craziness and like it best when I'm alone during heavy traffic periods, others can't handle both and let the phone ring and ring when the ramp is busy(planes have priority of course). It's up to you how efficient you want to be. This job will put you on a first name basis with Airfield Ops, Airport Duty Managers, police and fire fighters, operations agents and station managers from just about every carrier, homeland security, and many other important people. It is fantastic for networking and many move on to airline middle management from here, we just had a guy leave for jetBlue ops who is then hoping to transfer to dispatch. Important visitors pop in semi-regularly, airline CEOs have come up when I was working to ask questions about our operation(mainly why they have to hold in the gate 7 minutes so a lumbering international 747 can get to the gate with no delay). You will start parking in Lot D most likely, BUT, for $111/quarter, you can take premium parking in the domestic central garage which is a 6-7 minute walk to the tower. When I travel I routinely get to the airport 20 minutes before my flight departs and make it every time between the parking and employee security. There is a lot of downtime, especially at night, and I get most of my online college courses done at work. Everyone who works here is awesome, we have a great time, and if you aren't chill, you won't last. A sense of humor goes a long way here, and there is a tendency to not trust the more up-tight as history has taught us the hard way(remember, snitches get stitches). This is far and away to coolest job I've had in my life, I love every second of it.

If you want to know more, post here or PM me. Because we need people ASAP and my personal weekends off is on the line, I'm sorry but you need to come here knowing at least HOW to talk on the radio but no experience directing planes is needed. Ideal would be either a PPL or an ATC buff who knows the game. This is NOT the right job if you have a family to feed and this is your only source of income. But if you can stomach the pay and want a really cool job with awesome perks and more time off than the typical 9-5, this may be for you. You just have to love what you do, liking it won't be enough, and if you take the job, go thru badging, then leave us hanging and I have to pick up a bunch of OT. I'll cut you.

Last edited:
Update, things are a LOT better now in Tower A. Tower D is still the same but is a great niche for the people that the job works out for, they're pretty happy.

Starting pay is now $17.50 in the A-Tower, work rules are better, and there is new management. I'm doing recruiting and got 1 JC member hired last week, looking for 2-3 more. PM or ask questions here.

Man if I lived in the area I'd be all over this. When I ramped at US Airways in PHX they had a ramp tower slot open but I wasn't able to snag it.

Man if I lived in the area I'd be all over this. When I ramped at US Airways in PHX they had a ramp tower slot open but I wasn't able to snag it.
It went from being such a disaster I was going to quit to what may be the best job I'll ever have in a lot of ways in like a week. The job postings have been taken down so the only way to get an app if you're interested is through yours truly. If I don't hear from the JC mob in the next few days I'll have to start hiring elsewhere, but I'd like it if I could pay it forward and hire people from here.

Staffed now with plenty of people lined up for any vacancies so unfortunately I doubt there will be any way into any of the SFO ramp towers for the foreseeable future. But at least they're all great places to be now.

Back