AA Going External

Saw the posting...this is likely for the legacy AA side. I am curious to see what format they use now that the merger is going strong and with the other stuff going on.

Last edited:
The ad states: They want a BS in Aviation Sci OR 5 years exp OR 3 year exp and an AA degree (preferably Aviation)
and the dispatcher's cert. of course.
So my degree with ZERO exp is good to go! So like airfares today, the guy next to me will be getting paid $42.97/hr and I will be getting $14.97/hr. See, I got here cheaper! Yeaaaa! Oh, no wait....

I guess the days of getting hired without a degree are behind us... unless you have already been doing it for 5 years, but then why would you want another entry level job all over again?
I don't get it. Can someone with more time under the hood and in the sand explain?

Dispatcher for a major carrier is hardly an entry level job. There are people, currently 'paying their dues' in regionals, same folks already have a degree too. Unless you're talking starting salary, then yes indeed it's pretty entry level.

What is average monthly salary forfirst year with bonuses and what is pay for 2nd year and what does it top out at

Dispatcher for a major carrier is hardly an entry level job. There are people, currently 'paying their dues' in regionals, same folks already have a degree too. Unless you're talking starting salary, then yes indeed it's pretty entry level.

I guess what I mean by entry level is that anyone who enters a major whether off the street or from 3 yrs at a regional or a supp., they are still going to be considered newbies and they are gonna be at the bottom of the seniority list and they are still gonna go through the same training as a street dispatcher and they are most likely get the same wage, ...So if that's not entry level, I don't know what is. So now do you see my point about leaving one lily pad and jumping to another lily pad just to find out that the pond didn't change at all?

Ask a FedEx feeder pilot why he doesn't apply to United, by golly, and get a real airplane strapped to his butt??!!

Blaze, how do you get 45K? For what job? Do first and second year folks get "bonuses"?
Me thinks you work for WN!!

The current AA dipatcher posting states, "starting monthly rate of $2,793.00 ($2,206.47 while in training)"

That's 33,515/annum

The announced class was supposed to be in November. There are a lot of background checks and processing involved even for Eagle dispatchers such as getting checked out by AA medical. I think November might be a bit optimistic for a class. I highly doubt they will have two classes close together. Training is as long as it is partially because there is a lack of people willing to train new hires. It was a bit overwhelming this past year trying to training 22 new people. I think most would hope to avoid that for now. Rumor was management wanted mostly Eagle dispatchers due to quicker training times. Off the street 9-12 months is the norm for finishing training.

The external posting is strange though as everyone has been thinking the announced class was going to be mostly Eagle dispatchers.

The fuel bonus is not guaranteed. We just missed the full payout for the third quarter. Your total pay depends really on how long you take to get upgraded. Externally it will likely be closer to 46K and closer to 51K from Eagle with the bonus. But the bonus is 4 payments quarterly so your typical monthly gross will be around 2400/month as a DA and 3000/month once you upgrade for the first year. We just had a contractual pay raise this month.

That is just a base number. I saw a post on facebook yesterday that indicated an Envoy dispatcher that was hired Dec 2013 at AA is on pace to make just under 50k

Blaze, how do you get 45K? For what job? Do first and second year folks get "bonuses"?
Me thinks you work for WN!!

The current AA dipatcher posting states, "starting monthly rate of $2,793.00 ($2,206.47 while in training)"

That's 33,515/annum

Flagship goes into detail.

Bruin, what do you mean by format?
Legacy US and Legacy AA did their interviews completely differently premerger. Legacy AA has been using a much criticized group interview process where Legacy US has used a targeted selection process which is a lot more one on one, as Legacy AA most recently hired exclusively based on the group interview with no one on one at all. Both sides do a written test. One thing with the AA process is that the main person doing the interviewing has in the past usually been JP or FP as officers of 542. I don't want to rehash the union debate on here though.

I kinda agree with Troy, there's not much incentive to leave a regional with 5 years experience to go make 2nd or 3rd year regional pay again. It floors me how they attract talent with such a pitiful starting wage.

I kinda agree with Troy, there's not much incentive to leave a regional with 5 years experience to go make 2nd or 3rd year regional pay again. It floors me how they attract talent with such a pitiful starting wage.
Well...it's a major...the top out is way better...with the merger you have better security than at any regional....and when a new contract is reached by whoever represents the joint group the starting pay should go up quite a bit

If they hire people from Eagle, how are they going to replace them? Surely people aren't lining up to work at Eagle with its uncertain future... it would make sense to hire externally and not have to worry about hiring to replace people at Eagle.

Back