AA Going External

Bogey, They are asking for 5 years experience or an eduction equivalent which likely means the candidate is in debt with loans.

It is BS that at least, they could pay for some of the relocation cost. AA/US boasted of profits again for another quarter, when do the employees get their sacrifice back.

I didn't know that other majors paid relocation. And I didn't realize new employees made "sacrifices". Why would an external candidate be owed something ?

Bogey, They are asking for 5 years experience or an eduction equivalent which likely means the candidate is in debt with loans.

It is BS that at least, they could pay for some of the relocation cost. AA/US boasted of profits again for another quarter, when do the employees get their sacrifice back.

Take this maybe as a hint but those qualifications have been the same for some time. There have been numerous people hired the past three years both external and internal without an aviation degree and with less than five years experience. If you want to work for AA, apply for the job.

Everyone agrees starting pay and top pay are not where they should be. Not to start the TWU/NAAP debate, but there is a reason why the NAAP has gotten the support it has and that is because everyone is beyond ready to raise the pay and improve the work rules. It is long overdue and whether it is with the NAAP or TWU, things will be improved even though it may take some time. The hope is sooner rather than later.

I didn't know that other majors paid relocation. And I didn't realize new employees made "sacrifices". Why would an external candidate be owed something ?
United has been offering generous relocation packages for years to their new hires.

The fact that there is no relocation money available is deep evidence that the union representing AA dispatchers have very weak negotiating skills or they don't think of the complete picture as to what it takes for the employee to take the job.

Just like they buy into the cuts needed for the airline to survive without consideration of restoring wages within a set time after recovery.

From what I have been told, someone correct me if I am wrong, Southwest does not offer relocation money for new dispatchers. They also have deep pockets. Why does AA get singled out for something other carriers in the industry also do not offer?

FlagshipDx.... I am an equal opportunity complainer when it comes to wages and benefits. I call relocation benefits a commitment from the airline just like when you uproot and relocate.

Flagship_dxer said:
From what I have been told, someone correct me if I am wrong, Southwest does not offer relocation money for new dispatchers. They also have deep pockets. Why does AA get singled out for something other carriers in the industry also do not offer?

You are correct sir. WN does not, and practically no airline does for new dispatchers that I'm aware of. I don't think ExDXer has a complete grasp of how AA compensation works, instead biting on the base pay bait that gets many people on this. I don't think there is merit in explaining how our esteemed ex-colleague is wrong since I highly doubt he cares considering the inflammatory nature of his assessment of American Airlines as a company (subtle reminder: WN is the only major carrier that did not leverage bankruptcy to modify labor contracts so singling out American makes me think this is more about them and less about the actual labor situations at airlines in general) and of the Dallas area (which really doesn't even warrant the value of a response considering how comically wrong he is). None the less, there is no shortage of dispatchers who are perfectly happy taking their 5 years of field experience and no degree and parlaying that into a job that pays 6 figures inside of a decade, so I say to you good day, sir.

The guy who does the AA hiring said the last hire that included externals involved going through 300 resumes. Those were the ones that made it past HR. They don't have to offer incentives and they dont. They dont do it for pilots either.

I've paid off SS already. Really sucks to work here.

PJ Southwest has always been a wise airline fiscally. I have worked for two airlines that have used BK to get wage concessions from UNIONS.

How is it that an airline like AA while in BK can spend multiple thousands of $$$ to rebrand itself with a new logo and an ugly paint scheme that in actuality cost them more for fuel.

US Air did this first year wage reduction a few years ago with the second year wages being only $1000 higher than the original first year salary.

Do you have $6000 hanging around to relocate your home across this country. Not to mention needing to stay in a motel til you find a new home.

HEY BOGEY...where do you WORK.

I just moved from Tampa to Phoenix to make a helluva a lot less than what American is offering. It didn't cost $6000 either and that's including hotel stays, food, etc.

I only hope more people think like you. It opens up spots for people like me.

I do know of one person at UA that was moved from the west coast to Chicago with his wife, they stayed in a nice condo while they searched for a place and the entire thing was paid for by UA. And he was hired as crew scheduler! He is now dx-ing.

ExDXer said:
PJ Southwest has always been a wise airline fiscally. I have worked for two airlines that have used BK to get wage concessions from UNIONS.

How is it that an airline like AA while in BK can spend multiple thousands of $$$ to rebrand itself with a new logo and an ugly paint scheme that in actuality cost them more for fuel.

US Air did this first year wage reduction a few years ago with the second year wages being only $1000 higher than the original first year salary.

Do you have $6000 hanging around to relocate your home across this country. Not to mention needing to stay in a motel til you find a new home.

HEY BOGEY...where do you WORK.

I'm not saying that using bankruptcy as a tool to end run your contractual obligations to your employees is right, it's not and I think the ruins that are the relationship between labor and most legacy airlines is a testament to that.

You would be surprised how inexpensive a new livery costs an airline when implemented correctly. AA bare metal livery is more expensive to maintain then you might believe. Add to that the acquisition of aircraft with composites and the bare metal look becomes impossible to pull out. AA rolled out it's new livery as aircraft came due for painting. It was money that was already due to be spent as part of the required upkeep of the aircraft. Anyway, American went into bankruptcy because it made poor financial choices. It exacted concessions from labor because it was the easiest thing to do without directly effecting profit (surrendering aircraft on lease and reducing workforce to match would make better financial sense but of course that is trading a headache for a stuffy nose). Crappy? You bet, but labor was screwed long before bankruptcy there through no fault of its own.

As for moving, it's a cost of being in the game. If you are thinking you'd need to spend 6k to move you're doing it wrong. I've moved at least a dozen times since I've started as a dispatcher, sometimes voluntarily sometimes not, but never have I come remotely close to dropping 6 large to do it, and yes some of those moves were no touch.

I know we are getting way off topic.....
I just priced a 14ft U-haul from Sacramento to Miami....Keep in mind the 14ft-er is tiny! One very small apartment would fill it.
All in price including fuel....$2500.
My company moved me from Berkeley to Seattle 15 years ago and it ran $5000 for a single guy with a 2 bed room condo. Didn't even fill half the semi trailer and they were in Seattle in 13 hours. Packed it, loaded it, delivered it, unloaded it. Great service.

So I think if you called Mayflower....You are easily look at "6 large" to move CtoC. (All the broken items are free of charge!)

I guess any companies way of looking at is....."you want this job, then you get your ask here"....done. Especially for a $40K/year job.

And what about airlines NOT paying to fly you in for interviews? What does that say about a company?

I know we are getting way off topic.....
I just priced a 14ft U-haul from Sacramento to Miami....Keep in mind the 14ft-er is tiny! One very small apartment would fill it.
All in price including fuel....$2500.
My company moved me from Berkeley to Seattle 15 years ago and it ran $5000 for a single guy with a 2 bed room condo. Didn't even fill half the semi trailer and they were in Seattle in 13 hours. Packed it, loaded it, delivered it, unloaded it. Great service.

So I think if you called Mayflower....You are easily look at "6 large" to move CtoC. (All the broken items are free of charge!)

I guess any companies way of looking at is....."you want this job, then you get your ask here"....done. Especially for a $40K/year job.

And what about airlines NOT paying to fly you in for interviews? What does that say about a company?

Ask Hawaiian about not flying ppl there for an interview........

Ask Hawaiian about not flying ppl there for an interview........

And it hurts them getting people to interview there. That is another union that needs to get more for their dispatchers.

Speaking of interviews AA needs to use US Airways interview procedure and get away from their old procedure.

Speaking of interviews AA needs to use US Airways interview procedure and get away from their old procedure.

You have a better chance of hitting the lottery then being struck by lightning on the way to claim your prize than that happening.

Back