AA Going External

If they hire people from Eagle, how are they going to replace them? Surely people aren't lining up to work at Eagle with its uncertain future... it would make sense to hire externally and not have to worry about hiring to replace people at Eagle.

Envoy has received over 80 applications within two hours of posting not this last time but time before that. Also all signs point to Envoy shrinking, they could hire from Envoy just to avoid furloughs.

And I'll remind you, it's a small dispatch world. We know one from your class almost washed out. Why didn't the one on one catch that?

Legacy US and Legacy AA did their interviews completely differently premerger. Legacy AA has been using a much criticized group interview process where Legacy US has used a targeted selection process which is a lot more one on one, as Legacy AA most recently hired exclusively based on the group interview with no one on one at all. Both sides do a written test. One thing with the AA process is that the main person doing the interviewing has in the past usually been JP or FP as officers of 542. I don't want to rehash the union debate on here though.

Whether it's for Legacy AA or "The New American" just plan on things being done the way AA does them. It's the superior way to do things.

Now that that's out of the way, any idea how many they are hiring? Or how many classes? I'm curious if this is to replace folks they think are going to retire with the merger.

The next class of superior-ly hired AA is 12. Don't know how many after that.

Makes no sense to hire down here for who may not move. Those should be hired/trained in PIT

Doesn't make sense to hire / train any up here to only have to pay to move them later on. I keep hearing US wants another class also. Will be interesting to watch, that's for sure.

Doesn't make sense to hire / train any up here to only have to pay to move them later on. I keep hearing US wants another class also. Will be interesting to watch, that's for sure.

I thought US still hasn't signed off the last class they hired?

Why so much animosity in this thread between the Eagle guys, the AA guy and USAir guys here? More hiring at AA is a good thing. Lots of people would give anything to be at one of the majors. We should be excited for those people about to get a chance to move up in their career. For some it may be a temporary pay cut but in the end working at a major is a great experience. I wish the best for everyone that is about to be hired or trying to get hired.

I thought US still hasn't signed off the last class they hired?

They haven't. I believe there are 7 or so from the class of 12 that are not signed off yet. Last I heard is they are going to be coming back for some more OJT very soon to be signed off.

MT said:
I kinda agree with Troy, there's not much incentive to leave a regional with 5 years experience to go make 2nd or 3rd year regional pay again. It floors me how they attract talent with such a pitiful starting wage.

Everyone has their own motivations, but generally speaking pay at a major will overtake the top out at a regional after a few years, so if money is important it's a smart move. I know quite a few regional dispatchers who are very happy where they are.

Another point, some regionals out there facing a very uncertain future (Express Jet, Envoy?). Not many will want to make a lateral move to another regional and starting fresh there, major might be best option.

They haven't. I believe there are 7 or so from the class of 12 that are not signed off yet. Last I heard is they are going to be coming back for some more OJT very soon to be signed off.
They have in fact all been back on the floor for that very reason all week.

This without a doubt is just to satisfy HR requirements of posting to ''all'' available applicants even though everyone knows the company has no intentions on hiring out of said external group. Won't be wasting my time.

The only people to ever get hired at AA from my company for the past 4 years were either TWU542 Section Chairmen or Stewards o_O
My comment about the group interview was referring to the group interview format in general and was not AA specific...since much of the criticism I was referring to was not about the AA group interview but the format in general even where it is used at other companies. I will say though that no interview process is perfect and bad apples will always slip through the cracks...no matter how hard you try to avoid it.

My comment about the group interview was referring to the group interview format in general and was not AA specific...since much of the criticism I was referring to was not about the AA group interview but the format in general even where it is used at other companies. I will say though that no interview process is perfect and bad apples will always slip through the cracks...no matter how hard you try to avoid it.

I understood that. My comment was tacked on to your thoughts of the group interview just by agreeing their whole process is hodge podge all in all.

I left a regional after 10 years. Yes it was scary, I took a pay cut and I cant hold xmas off.
Guess what? I have zero regrets. Wish I would of done it a long time ago. The differences in working for a regional and major are night and day. It's so nice to be appreciated and respected.
Besides that...I only had to pinch my pennies for a year before I was making more than I had previously. Sked is more flexible with a bigger staff to swap with. And the holiday catered food really isn't that bad :)
I would never consider that move a lateral change between entry level positions.

Another PATHETIC Airline that EXPLOITED BANKRUPTCY to lower employee wages. At $2700 a month you can get that at a regional.

Funny though in BK they found money to paint their airplanes an UGLY paint scheme and create a new logo.

This start wage should be no less than $3500 a month. And again they are not paying you for the move to the Ebola plagued city so in effect your first years wage will be on average less than 30K that is unless you donate your current furniture to Goodwill and show up with your car and a suitcase.

This is a mainline airline. Don't let them devalue you and the rest of the industry.

Back