A&P vs AMT

flying_ME

So this might be a dumb question, but, what is the difference between an AMT and a mechanic with his A&P?

I've been looking at Wyotech, which has locations in MA and CA. According to the website, the MA location will make you an Avaition Maintenance Technician, while the CA location will make you a aviation mechanic and prepare you for the A&P tests. Would either title be "better" in terms of looking for a job?

Aircraft Maintence Technitian, vs Mechanic, Airframe & Powerplant

AMT can cover a lot of ground, but your A&P is what you need from the FAA to sign off an aircraft as airworthy.

It looks like the AMT course is longer and covers more, both should qualify you to take your A&P exams.

flying_ME said:
So this might be a dumb question, but, what is the difference between an AMT and a mechanic with his A&P?

I've been looking at Wyotech, which has locations in MA and CA. According to the website, the MA location will make you an Avaition Maintenance Technician, while the CA location will make you a aviation mechanic and prepare you for the A&P tests. Would either title be "better" in terms of looking for a job?
There is no such thing, in a legal sense, as an "Aviation Maintenance Technician". I'm not sure how that term came about, but I suspect that it is an attempt to raise the professional status of aircraft mechanics, much as "facilities engineer" sounds a lot more professional than "janitor". Me, I am a mechanic. That's what it says on my certificate. I don't call myself an "A&P", I have those ratings, but that would be like calling myself an "I&SE&ME" instead of a "Pilot".

Did you look into the Tech College in Nashua? They have (or did have) an aviation maintenance program. I don't have any direct experience with them, but I know a guy that did & he seemed satisfied with it.

Back to your question about which would be "better" in terms of looking for a job, I don't think it would matter one bit. An employer is going to ask you for a copy of your FAA certificate, and that's it. Where I did my training has never come up. I went to the least expensive program that I could find so that I could keep it affordable.

Good luck to you!
Stonefly

Stonefly said:
There is no such thing, in a legal sense, as an "Aviation Maintenance Technician". I'm not sure how that term came about, but I suspect that it is an attempt to raise the professional status of aircraft mechanics, much as "facilities engineer" sounds a lot more professional than "janitor". Me, I am a mechanic. That's what it says on my certificate. I don't call myself an "A&P", I have those ratings, but that would be like calling myself an "I&SE&ME" instead of a "Pilot".

Did you look into the Tech College in Nashua? They have (or did have) an aviation maintenance program. I don't have any direct experience with them, but I know a guy that did & he seemed satisfied with it.

Back to your question about which would be "better" in terms of looking for a job, I don't think it would matter one bit. An employer is going to ask you for a copy of your FAA certificate, and that's it. Where I did my training has never come up. I went to the least expensive program that I could find so that I could keep it affordable.

Good luck to you!
Stonefly

I took a tour this past weekend at Wyotech and asked why the different terms. He said more or less what you said... it's the same thing, different titles and it's all driven by demographics. People on the east coast prefer being refered to as a technician while the west coasters prefer the mechanic title.

I looked at the tech in Nashua a while back. The only problem is that it's a day program but I need night classes. I'm in a bit of a unique situation... I'm a mechanical engineer looking to ditch the desk, so classes would have to fit around my day job. I figure an A&P will give me 2 avenues: a job as a mechanic, er I mean technician:) , or my fallback would be engineer with GE, pratt, or some other aerospace company. Funny order of priorities, but I've been bitten by the aviation bug so logic usually takes a back seat :p. I'm going to check the tech again, hoping the schedules can work out.

thanks for the responses.

My oppinion (having attended a major school[Spartan School of Aeronautics] and currently finishing at a community college) is that you are wasteing your money with them. Wyotech from what I have heard charges between 25-30k for their program where as if you moved here to Rockford and attended Rock Valley College you would only spend around 6k. There is also a night class(5PM-10PM) for the first year, though the second year you have to move to days (7AM to noon).

The job offers I have recieved are the same as the graduates of Wyotech, Spartan, etc.. The best part is you only need to reside in Rockford for 30 days before classes begin to recieve the instate tuition. I have not posted my job offers yet because I am not sure exactly which I will take, but I will probably post next month.

Back