A noob's career decisions, questions...

HumbleSiPilot77

Folks, first time poster and looks like going to remain here for the long haul. I have read several threads where there are similar questions to mine but not exactly anyone is in another's situation so I figured I mentioned about myself and maybe I will get some good advice towards my goal. Since I am a very goal oriented person, I will do whatever it takes until I get there.

Little about me; I am also a naturalized US citizen like a few others I read about here. I have gotten my SEL CPL/IR ICAO license in 1999 in Turkey and logged 233 hours there. I attended a local flight school in 1999 here in the US in Oklahoma, and logged 45 more hours there but didn't get any license. Then came a long hiatus, marriage, I joined the service, naturalization, deployment, etc. I got in military flight school in my branch and finished flight school with 170 hours and converted that to FAA Commercial with IR Rotary. For personal, family, economical and other reasons, I am leaving the service so this is my chance to continue a civilian career. I am not too much interested in a rotary career as I am aware I might barely find employment with the low flight hours I have and being a rated attack airframe pilot. I have applied to ASU's program and waiting to get accepted, thankfully I have gotten my GI Bill eligibility which will cover related training costs according to my friend's who is doing the same program and school's Vet Office.

My ultimate goal is to be in the right seat, of course to begin with, flying for SWA one day. That is what I want right now, who knows if it changes in the future. At the end of university, I will be close to 800 hours, with FAA Commercial, CFI, ME etc. I will flight instruct, fly regional, work overnight shift at Target, eat ramen noodles with my wife, live in a one bedroom, whatever it takes to get me to my goal. I am sure I could dish out the funds from VA for a more accelerated program like ATP but that is not what I want, I want my degree.

I am new to this career pursuit but I do have a very positive attitude about the whole thing. Just signed up to a few new forums and I believe networking with other guys who went my route will pay off. I am sure there are a few caveats I need to watch for, so I am hoping you guys guide my steps.

Thank you all.

Well, I misspoke, to begin with, goal is right seat, ultimately the left seat. I could only hope though starting at 35, I can get there.

Sent from my Xperia Arc using Tapatalk 2

I am aware I might barely find employment with the low flight hours I have and being a rated attack airframe pilot.

You all ready seem to know the relevant part -- that military rotary wing time isn't really appreciated in the civil fixed-wing flying world. So, unfortunately, the path to a major airline goes through a regional or freight outfit, which is where the "ramen noodles" comment above comes from.

There are a couple former military rotorheads on here that can give you good advice, but APTAP will likely be the best resource for your particular situation.

Thank you sirs...

Have you discussed Ramen noodles with the wife?
Most definitely, we discussed it, it kind of came up when the Buffalo crash happened a few years back and media placed much attention on the FO chick and that she only made 16K a year etc etc. At least missus has a degree and banking experience, she might find a job where makes more money than I do but it will work out at the end.

You all ready seem to know the relevant part -- that military rotary wing time isn't really appreciated in the civil fixed-wing flying world. So, unfortunately, the path to a major airline goes through a regional or freight outfit, which is where the "ramen noodles" comment above comes from.

There are a couple former military rotorheads on here that can give you good advice, but APTAP will likely be the best resource for your particular situation.

Yep just got on APTAP and will expand my network. I am counting on the good habits I picked from military flying, flight school, studying, discipline, attention to detail, etc. I can't imagine civilian IPs are putting pressure on a stud, to the point he makes it or breaks it. I really appreciate that I have gone through it. Like I mentioned though my worry is being 35 and possibly 38-39 when I am out of college. It would give me only about 20 years windows to get somewhere and hopefully retire.

I am counting on the good habits I picked from military flying, flight school, studying, discipline, attention to detail, etc.

You bet. IMHO, that will be a significant strength compared to your civilian pipeline counterparts at that experience level. Again, there are other dudes on here who have direct experience with that and are better qualified to comment, but based on what I know of the Army rotary wing guys I've worked with in the military, I think you're on the right track.

I'm with Spira on this. Well, if it were me, that's what I'd do. There's a long line of Riddle Aces who, rightly or wrongly (wrongly), are more "qualified" for the fixed-wing world, but my employer (well, Spira's employer, too, now!) is paying huge amounts of overtime for rotor-wing guys. We have a BK at my base that isn't being manned some days because there aren't enough relief pilots in the system. I'm not predicting a rotor-wing pilot shortage...it's already here.

Just my $.02...if you're absolutely fixed on an airline route, it sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what to do and how to do it. Whatever you decide, best of luck.

We have a BK at my base that isn't being manned some days because there aren't enough relief pilots in the system. I'm not predicting a rotor-wing pilot shortage...it's already here.

Really? By relief pilots do you mean part-time/ contract pilots?

Really? By relief pilots do you mean part-time/ contract pilots?

No, I mean full time employees who are tasked with "plugging the gaps". I won't say too much more at the risk of getting in trouble with The Brass, but the "open positions" list on the rotor wing side is, eh, LONG. Now, that might just mean that there aren't any guys who meet the minimums available (and the OP would not meet those minimums), but from what I can tell, they're pretty much redlined as far as rotor wing staffing goes. Fixed wing is pretty much the opposite...when there's an opening, it's filled pretty fast.

No, I mean full time employees who are tasked with "plugging the gaps". I won't say too much more at the risk of getting in trouble with The Brass, but the "open positions" list on the rotor wing side is, eh, LONG. Now, that might just mean that there aren't any guys who meet the minimums available (and the OP would not meet those minimums), but from what I can tell, they're pretty much redlined as far as rotor wing staffing goes. Fixed wing is pretty much the opposite...when there's an opening, it's filled pretty fast.

Interesting. You mind sharing the appx pay, location, and a guess on the mins? Or PM if not for public consumption.

You got Ian interested :) Well I hear you. This is why I feel like I am sitting on the fence. What I'm fixed is to finish this 4 year degree, that's for sure. Then I think I'll have had enough insight to decide. I'll have CFII from the university does that mean for CFI-H I would have to take a whole different course. As long as I have funds available I'm going to do it. I was thinking about getting my 737 rating right away after school but should I wait on that?

Sent from my LT18a using Tapatalk 2

It's Air Methods

I believe starting pay is around 58k, with ~1k/year raises. That said, with the amount of overtime that appears to be available for the rotorheads (this is just a line guy's impression, I have no idea of the actual numbers), you could probably do significantly better than that if you were willing to work extra shifts (depending, of course, on where you're based, their staffing, the staffing of the airframe, etc etc etc). Also: There is sometimes a 5-10k/year bonus for "hard to fill bases" (generally rural and remote). Normally the shifts are 7 on/7 off, although that could also be 3 on/3 off, 14 on/14 off, or anything in between, depending on the base. 12 hour shifts, extendable to 14 (as per 135) or 16 under extraordinary circumstances. Better than average bennies. Also a large company that seems unlikely to be going out of business any time soon.

Helo Minimums, and a bit of an "intro" are in the pdf I'll link below.

Aside from wanting more money (and I mean, who doesn't?), I couldn't be happier. I've only been here for ~6 months (since Omniflight was bought by Methods), but I have 0 serious complaints. Show up, do your job, don't cause problems just to cause problems, keep your head down, and it's a fantastic job, IMHO.

Oh, and here's the pamphlet:

http://www.airmethods.com/docs/air-...o-you-want-pilots-single-rev2-11.pdf?sfvrsn=5

Still too far out for me but got me thinking... Having served in military long hours overnight shifts wouldn't bother me.

Sent from my LT18a using Tapatalk 2

I was thinking about getting my 737 rating right away after school but should I wait on that?

At your times I don't think the 737 rating would do much for you. If you're set on fixed wing, I'd spend that money getting all your CFIs, or, if you already have them, maybe getting a type on something you might have a shot at getting job in the right seat of (KA350, Citation, Beechjet, etc).

Whatever the case, I think you're right to focus first on getting your degree and see how it all pans out. And again, best of luck, and thanks for becoming an American and choosing to Serve. *thumbs up*. If you think I can be of any help along the way, please feel free to PM.

Back