A letter to X Airlines, and ALL Regionals for that matter.

…from networking, working hard and following the advice I gleaned from here in 2003. But not doing the job I want…we'll see. The clock is ticking.

One of the very few things Dough has ever been right about is that Networking is the key. Just kidding, Dough, you're pretty smert, you know, for a dude who spends way too much time on the interwebz. I had the rather misguided idea that "networking" was jerk-parlance for "being an ambitious •" for a long time. It's only in retrospect that I realized what was for me a shocking truth. People want to help you. We all recognize our own, and want to be of assistance, you know sans any kind of repayment. It was only after I'd gotten a few rungs up and had the stunning revelation that I could actually help someone else that this became clear to me. To be honest, I'm still a bit shocked, but not unpleasantly so. If you see me in the FBO, on the ramp, or driving the crew car in to a ditch (you know, the normal stuff)...talk to me. I look back and can't believe the number of opportunities to talk to what really was just, you know, another human, that I passed up because of some weird and very stupid sense of impropriety. The worst thing they can say is "You're a miserable peon, how DARE you?" Just kidding.

OK, PSA over. Back to GI Joe!

All I know is, if things don't change, I'm going into contract killing.

Discount rates on third world dictators and airline CEOs.

First year pay at the regionals sucks, period. They all want to hire a professional, and pay an unprofessional wage. The sad thing is they get away with it because of supply and demand, and to many of us pilots thinking "well, you just have to deal with it."
That being said, if you are young and single, or have a wife that works, and have your finances in order, it is doable.
Sorry, Bob is right on. You made some choices in life that limited who you could work for. Outside of the bottom feeders you make more money than most people. Here are some facts: Median income in the US is around 28K that means almost 50% live on 28K or less. Now with some college the number gets bumped up to 37K, 40K with a Associate's degree and I think that best fits regional pilots. Now with a Bachelor's degree it jumps up to 51K. So a job that you don't need a degree for starts you in the top 30% of wages earners and you can end up in the top 7% within 7-8 years.

Sorry, Bob is right on. You made some choices in life that limited who you could work for. Outside of the bottom feeders you make more money than most people. Here are some facts: Median income in the US is around 28K that means almost 50% live on 28K or less. Now with some college the number gets bumped up to 37K, 40K with a Associate's degree and I think that best fits regional pilots. Now with a Bachelor's degree it jumps up to 51K. So a job that you don't need a degree for starts you in the top 30% of wages earners and you can end up in the top 7% within 7-8 years.

But muh uncle is a millionaire and he only has a GED! Derp derpy DERP DERP DURRRRP.

But muh uncle is a millionaire and he only has a GED! Derp derpy DERP DERP DURRRRP.

Just for the sake of an experiment here I dug out my high school yearbook and looked at the 3 people on either side of me. Thanks to the wonders of Facebook--and me being something of a friend • (wait... that word may get censored... rhythms with "bore")--I know exactly what each one of these people is doing. I graduated from high school in 2000, so here we are, 13 years later and this is how it worked out.

I went to school in a rather academic town (3 colleges and universities plus 2 more in the towns on either side) so all 6 of those people went to a college of one sort or another.

One of them got a 2 year degree and is currently a chef at a hotel in Philly. I happen to know that this guy started out waiting tables and then at the very bottom end of the cooking chain. Judging by the pictures of the apartment he shared with a bunch of other guys in his photo albums in 2004 through about 2009 (when he got married) he wasn't making very much.

The other 5 all got four year degrees.

One of them, who was in ROTC through high school went to West Point and is currently an Army Engineer. He made Captain the same time I made "captain" in 2008. I have no idea what he makes exactly but the GOArmy website says he should be making between 60k and 80k a year. Not too bad, but his first couple of years as a LT he was making 30k or so (according to the website) which is hardly better than second year pay at a regional.

One became an CPA and was working at a Liberty Tax place in the middle of nowhere Kansas (his wife is from there) right out of school. I would guess he wasn't making very much to begin with.

Another one (the girl that sat next to me in home room for 4 years) went to med school. She finished her residency in 2011 and is now a OBGYN ("oh look at the baby"... scrubs reference). I would guess she is making ok money now, but we all know that a) med school leaves huge bills and b) residency doesn't pay very well so right out of school she wasn't doing much better than a regional pilot.

There remaining 2 both went to grad school. One is an engineer for McKinsey making tons of money. He actually worked for them for 2 years right out of his undergrad and made good money (100k plus I think), then they paid for his masters and now he's making very good money. However, he's on the road more than most pilots I know.

The other guy went to grad school and got a degree in Latin. He still works in the Barnes and Nobel (as a salesperson) he worked at during his undergrad and grad school. I would guess he's not making too much.

So, of those six, five of them are making ok to good money right now, but only one of the six (the engineer) made good money right out of school.

Don't get me wrong... I think a first year FO is worth way more than they are paid, but I don't think they are lagging that far behind most other careers. The problem I think is that once you get past the first few years pay (and especially once you get in to the captain scales) we do SO much better than most other professions that the disparity in the first few years of pay stands out so much.

A single Lieutenant with two years of service living at Ft Bragg makes about $48k a year. A Captain with six years of service with the same situation makes about $82,000 a year. Either would make more if they were married or lived in a high cost of living area. Or if they were pilots. Just FYI!

A single Lieutenant with two years of service living at Ft Bragg makes about $48k a year. A Captain with six years of service with the same situation makes about $82,000 a year. Either would make more if they were married or lived in a high cost of living area. Or if they were pilots. Just FYI!

Ye, gads! That statement just invalidated one LtCol's "I'm broke" commentary I flew with. Yet, he is a Guardsmen, and working at Horizon Airlines for his day job.

Ye, gads! That statement just invalidated one LtCol's "I'm broke" commentary I flew with. Yet, he is a Guardsmen, and working at Horizon Airlines for his day job.

Well... He's only making about $1,100 every drill weekend.

Sorry, Bob is right on. You made some choices in life that limited who you could work for. Outside of the bottom feeders you make more money than most people. Here are some facts: Median income in the US is around 28K that means almost 50% live on 28K or less. Now with some college the
Half of America isn't flying 50 people around, tired from last nights commute because they can't afford to move, or stressed out over not being able to pay basic bills and having to leave their families in a crap part of town because it's all they can afford. This is a job where u have to know ur stuff from day one. U have to be able to handle an engine failure or fire day one just as good as the guy that's been flying 8 years. As a pilot, I think first year pay at 9 out of 10 is crap, survivable maybe some places, but crap. As a CEO, why would I raise pay if I still have people knocking at my door.

Half of America isn't flying 50 people around, tired from last nights commute because they can't afford to move, or stressed out over not being able to pay basic bills and having to leave their families in a crap part of town because it's all they can afford. This is a job where u have to know ur stuff from day one. U have to be able to handle an engine failure or fire day one just as good as the guy that's been flying 8 years. As a pilot, I think first year pay at 9 out of 10 is crap, survivable maybe some places, but crap. As a CEO, why would I raise pay if I still have people knocking at my door.
Nope most american's can't commute more than an hour or so to work.

Also if you think regional pilots are the only ones that stress over bills you are mistaken.

Nope most american's can't commute more than an hour or so to work.

Also if you think regional pilots are the only ones that stress over bills you are mistaken.
Of course I don't think that. But mistakes caused by that stress can be costlier in our industry than most, both monetary and in human life.

The grass is ALWAYS greener.

That's why all of us should have gone to professional school.

So we could apply to make $10,000 a year at a law firm in Boston. As an attorney. Representing people in court.

http://www.abajournal.com/news/arti...ts_for_attorney_job_paying_10000_a_year_part/

Everybody's got problems, ours are not unique.
himym-gif-youve-been-lawyered.gif

Back