A letter to X Airlines, and ALL Regionals for that matter.

Well this thread has sure drifted nicely. Let me quickly respond to 3 points...

First, writing a letter to HR, while probably cathartic (for both the writer and anybody who reads it who may be in a similar situation) won't change the world. The airlines know why some people won't come work for them and while they are starting to see the bottom of the barrel, they aren't there yet so they don't care. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if, as the majors recover (which they are) and start to look like ok jobs again (which they are) more and more people start going to pilot schools again and the pipeline refills. There will be a few years of slim pickings until the newbies starting now have their 1500 hours, but if the hiring departments see a light at the end of the tunnel, they simply rely on signing bonuses and what not go to through the lean times.

Second, I don't know why people think regional pay is so tough to get by on. It entirely depends on your level of living but unless you go to some place like Lakes, you will be making a mostly livable wage as long as you manage your costs. You wouldn't believe the number of FOs I flew with who bitched about how they couldn't spend money on fixing their car and then went and smoked between every turn and dropped $20 on 4 beers at dinner every night. Sure, it may be tough for the first year. No vacation to Disney World and maybe you have to cut back on the Christmas giving, but if you have kept your finances in line, it shouldn't be impossible. And that includes being able to put a little bit away for your 401k also.

Additionally, I know it's not the case everywhere, but the regional I went to paid full guarantee from the first day of class provided a hotel room and 24/day per diem until you were done with sim. That's actually a much better deal than I had when I got hired at a major.

And thirdly, (and @Derg will probably disagree with me on this) while networking your ass off certainly helps, a lot of the "get in get out" deal is pure luck. It depends on how the industry is moving, it depends on what routes you happen to fly (if you carry a lot of Brand X jumpseaters you'll end up with a lot of ins at Brand X), it depends on what minority boxes you can check and what groups you can be a member of (yes, I know that's not a popular thing to say, but it's how the game is sometimes played) and, if I didn't already mention it, it depends a lot on luck. Now, if you don't do your damnedest to get lucky, you are selling your self short, but it is entirely possible you can do EVERYTHING right, and still be stuck at a regional for a very long time.

That may change a bit going forward (pending no more bad stuff happening) as the last 12 years have been a miserable combinations of geopolitical (9/11), economic and political (age 65) events which conspired to pretty much freeze any upward movement in the industry. But you can't count on that NOT to happen again.

@BobDDuck -

A couple points.

If you haven't been networking and then "desirous carrier" starts to hire and you want to get on the roller coaster, it's already too late. Some of the people I'm working with for an opportunity at my airline are people I've been working with for the last couple of years — not necessarily those that popped up after they read on the internet that the application window was opening.

Additionally, you have no ideas what opportunities are out there and you're not going to hear about them by resting on your laurels waiting for someone to find you. Opportunities pop up daily and, from my experience, only about one out of every ten fantastic opportunities are ever posted on the online job sites or even get publicly announced. The best opportunities, especially in the corporate world never get publicly posted and you've got to be somewhat connected to hear about those.

If there's a better method of creating contacts that are willing to stick their neck out for you other than networking, I am all ears.

I don't disagree with anything you say there. I think people should be networking at every opportunity they can. Using SouthernJets as an example, I can speak from personal experience when I say that, even when they weren't hiring (2009?) I still was updating my application monthly, talking to people like you and others so that when they did actually open the application window I had 7 references on file, I'd spoken to the recruiters at 3 different career fairs and had been walked in to talk to the DTW CP.

I got hired somewhere else, but if I hadn't, I would have kept up those efforts but all I'm saying is that despite all that, there is absolutely no guarantee I would have gotten a phone call for an interview. That's just how it works.

The second point I also agree with. Outside of large companies that have formalized hiring processes, most good jobs are never posts, or of they are, the candidate has already been selected and the job is posted just to satisfy legal/corporate requirements. Unless people who are in the know, who you know, know you want that sort of job, you'll never hear about it. You know?

So how do you cultivate those sorts of relationships? You network. When somebody who has your sort of dream job posts about something they did at work you tell them that looks like your sort of dream job. Ask them how they got there. However, until they know you as more than just a username and an avatar (which is one reason I never change mine) you are just a random dude on the interwebs who wants the type of job they have. When they actually meet you in person at NJC or somewhere like that, you become more than that and your chances of getting a shot at your dream job go up rapidly.

Every time you cast your line into the lake, you're not going to catch a fish.

But you're not going to catch a fish without casting your line into the lake.

I kind of feel like I'm talking past you in this situation.

My point isn't that you aren't going to catch a fish every time but more along the lines of, it's often times pure luck if you catch a fish at all even if you are casting all day, every day. Depends on the bait, the weather, the fish, the moon, the skill of your cast, what you had for breakfast and just how much you like tacos.

Fox Robin Hood was sans pants:

View attachment 26253
We were just watching that.

T4BrSwO.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I kind of feel like I'm talking past you in this situation.

My point isn't that you aren't going to catch a fish every time but more along the lines of, it's often times pure luck if you catch a fish at all even if you are casting all day, every day. Depends on the bait, the weather, the fish, the moon, the skill of your cast, what you had for breakfast and just how much you like tacos.
Luck is a quantity that you cannot manufacture.

As the G-Man would put it, "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world." :cool:

Luck is a quantity that you cannot manufacture.
But you can do everything in your power to make sure that if and when you're in the right place at the right time, you don't miss out on what could have been a lucky break(keep your logbook updated, have a current resume ready to go, ect).

But you can do everything in your power to make sure that if and when you're in the right place at the right time, you don't miss out on what could have been a lucky break(keep your logbook updated, have a current resume ready to go, ect).
Oh yes, by all means. Be ready, and be prepared to roll the hard six.

I have one job I want. ONE. If it weren't for my crazy idea that I could actually get that job…where there are fewer people than on an NFL team, I would easily be over 6 figures again this year…from networking, working hard and following the advice I gleaned from here in 2003. But not doing the job I want…we'll see. The clock is ticking.

I have one job I want. ONE. If it weren't for my crazy idea that I could actually get that job…where there are fewer people than on an NFL team, I would easily be over 6 figures again this year…from networking, working hard and following the advice I gleaned from here in 2003. But not doing the job I want…we'll see. The clock is ticking.
Pilot for Hugh Heffner... His clock is ticking.

Yep, life happens, and family becomes the priority. But when that happens, you can't expect the world to bend around you, you'll have to make sacrifices to move on or just get out of the industry if you can't. Or better yet, utilize birth control
Hmmmmm...should I comment? Do I dare make this thread go another 20 pages?! ;)

Well this thread has sure drifted nicely. Let me quickly respond to 3 points...

First, writing a letter to HR, while probably cathartic (for both the writer and anybody who reads it who may be in a similar situation) won't change the world. The airlines know why some people won't come work for them and while they are starting to see the bottom of the barrel, they aren't there yet so they don't care. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if, as the majors recover (which they are) and start to look like ok jobs again (which they are) more and more people start going to pilot schools again and the pipeline refills. There will be a few years of slim pickings until the newbies starting now have their 1500 hours, but if the hiring departments see a light at the end of the tunnel, they simply rely on signing bonuses and what not go to through the lean times.

Second, I don't know why people think regional pay is so tough to get by on. It entirely depends on your level of living but unless you go to some place like Lakes, you will be making a mostly livable wage as long as you manage your costs. You wouldn't believe the number of FOs I flew with who bitched about how they couldn't spend money on fixing their car and then went and smoked between every turn and dropped $20 on 4 beers at dinner every night. Sure, it may be tough for the first year. No vacation to Disney World and maybe you have to cut back on the Christmas giving, but if you have kept your finances in line, it shouldn't be impossible. And that includes being able to put a little bit away for your 401k also.

Additionally, I know it's not the case everywhere, but the regional I went to paid full guarantee from the first day of class provided a hotel room and 24/day per diem until you were done with sim. That's actually a much better deal than I had when I got hired at a major.

And thirdly, (and @Derg will probably disagree with me on this) while networking your ass off certainly helps, a lot of the "get in get out" deal is pure luck. It depends on how the industry is moving, it depends on what routes you happen to fly (if you carry a lot of Brand X jumpseaters you'll end up with a lot of ins at Brand X), it depends on what minority boxes you can check and what groups you can be a member of (yes, I know that's not a popular thing to say, but it's how the game is sometimes played) and, if I didn't already mention it, it depends a lot on luck. Now, if you don't do your damnedest to get lucky, you are selling your self short, but it is entirely possible you can do EVERYTHING right, and still be stuck at a regional for a very long time.

That may change a bit going forward (pending no more bad stuff happening) as the last 12 years have been a miserable combinations of geopolitical (9/11), economic and political (age 65) events which conspired to pretty much freeze any upward movement in the industry. But you can't count on that NOT to happen again.
First year pay at the regionals sucks, period. They all want to hire a professional, and pay an unprofessional wage. The sad thing is they get away with it because of supply and demand, and to many of us pilots thinking "well, you just have to deal with it."
That being said, if you are young and single, or have a wife that works, and have your finances in order, it is doable.

Back