99 replacement aircraft?

They'll eventually all time out. Wing spar iirc.

A 99 with between 50k and 60k hours is currently being evaluated by the operator in Burbank to document the current condition and demonstrate to the FAA that it can continue to fly for years to come.

Do you guys have slots in your door that allows visual and physical inspection of the hooks?

Yes. However some of them you need to be a contortionist in order to see.
I can think of 2 birds where the slots are a few inches behind the pins, and you can't really see the front pin.
One of the birds has a different crew hatch altogether and has the mechanism in the door. If its pointing forward its closed. Easy system.

Yes. However some of them you need to be a contortionist in order to see.
I can think of 2 birds where the slots are a few inches behind the pins, and you can't really see the front pin.

I know a B model like that too.

A 99 with between 50k and 60k hours is currently being evaluated by the operator in Burbank to document the current condition and demonstrate to the FAA that it can continue to fly for years to come.

That airplane is a flying trash can. I hope it's still flying in 2050.

That airplane is a flying trash can. I hope it's still flying in 2050.
It just might be. They don't buy replacement airframes, only growth airframes. As long as they still need an aircraft that size, it'll fly until it crashes (again).

Considering they are a workhorse of said operator I am not surprised.

Realistically their are no replacements for what the 99 does. When they are gone, they will be gone.

Because making taxi way Charlie gets to you the ramp three minutes faster or I lose the bet if I can't make Dixie. j/k

Seriously though. The reversing cabalities varied from aircraft to aircraft when I flew them. Some were fantastic and others not so much. They're also flown into places such as EKA where you have 2000ft to get it stopped if you hit the aiming point. Getting it down and waiting on the spool up takes an eternity sometime.

This airport is used as one of the alternates when you can't get into the 3000ft EKA.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/O19

Thats flying the aircraft to it's limits in my opinion.
Knew someone that was training up there that took out 3 of the four.

If you can't get her down and stopped within 1000' you're less of a man.
If you can do it in less than 800' you can drink a beer with me.

If you can't get her down and stopped within 1000' you're less of a man.
If you can do it in less than 800' you can drink a beer with me.

Agreed.
Full load, you can comfortably stop in 1500, aggressively stop in 1000, and if you're on your A Game, then 800' or less can be done.

Considering they are a workhorse of said operator I am not surprised.

Realistically their are no replacements for what the 99 does. When they are gone, they will be gone.
When the Pc12 comes down in price it'll smoke the 99 for freight. 1000HP caravans aren't much slower than a 99 on short route segments and can carry just as much if not more, and eventually some enterprising individual will modify king air 200s with a better cargo door and a crew hatch and the game will be up.

When the Pc12 comes down in price it'll smoke the 99 for freight. 1000HP caravans aren't much slower than a 99 on short route segments and can carry just as much if not more, and eventually some enterprising individual will modify king air 200s with a better cargo door and a crew hatch and the game will be up.

I agree with this mostly, but from an operating standpoint, why would a short-haul cargo company want to take on a pressurized airplane if they don't have to? It may come down to the fact that they have to, but until then...

I agree with this mostly, but from an operating standpoint, why would a short-haul cargo company want to take on a pressurized airplane if they don't have to? It may come down to the fact that they have to, but until then...
What difference would it make pressurized or not? Aside from the slight increase in MX cost, AMF uses the Hundo and Metro just fine...

What difference would it make pressurized or not? Aside from the slight increase in MX cost, AMF uses the Hundo and Metro just fine...

Right, but we're talking about replacing an unpressurized airplane. I dunno, I'm no bean counter, but I gotta think it would be a factor in their decision.

Right, but we're talking about replacing an unpressurized airplane. I dunno, I'm no bean counter, but I gotta think it would be a factor in their decision.
True. But JayAre and I were having this discussion last night (over some in-n-out) and think that AMF will hold onto the 99 until they are un-airworthy.

Back