99 replacement aircraft?

The 99 really wants to flat a tire if you try to turn while breaking. Power asymmetry will flat a tire too. I haven't done it...yet, but seen plenty of guys do it.

With all that bad karma you own making fun of the -D model your flat tires will come soon enough.

1) Ridiculous, spiteful, loathesome trim system. No trim wheel and an electric trim that runs at warp 8. Perhaps not so irritating if you have an autopilot, but I didn't
There's a standby trim system that runs slowly if it's that hard for you.
2) Ferrari brakes with Hot Wheels tires
It's easy to make a turnoff at 2000 ft. past the threshold with little or no braking in calm winds. Why are you getting on the brakes above 60 kts?
3) Absurdly inefficient. Frontal area of a small house and cruises below 10k but has two turbine engines. WTF?
Fair point that it is slow, but it hauls much more weight than a similar sized King Air. They were designed for different purposes. I think it was never intended to fly for more than 300 miles at a time. If you consider the fuel burn per pound-mile it is not out of line.
4) Most of them now have 30k+ hours on them. If it were built like a Mitsi, that might not be a problem, but it isn't. This is not an aircraft that was designed to fly for 50 years, and this shows.
Our C models with 20k-30k hours tend to be very reliable. The earlier ones (I've flown one with as many as 52k) do have some issues with squawks but still work hard every day.
It sure saves money when you don't have to overhaul your engines every few years.
6) Finally, and perhaps most important: BORING. In the same way that I've heard a Van referred to as a Turbine Skyhawk, the 99 is a Turbine Baron. YAAAAAAWWWWNNNNNN.
It's a revenue generating airplane, not an Extra 300. The operators want something that's easy to put a low time pilot in the left seat of.
PS. Oh, 7. I'm not crazy about that airstair door with its toy latch sitting back there, biding its time...
I've never feared the security of the door, but it is nice when they have a large cargo door instead of the airstairs to hit your shin on.
PPS. NO WINDSHIELD HEAT! Ours didn't have it, anyway. No bueno taxiing around Hartsfield trying to take off your shirt to wipe the condensation off the inside of the screen.
I've never flown one without it. According to the AFM it's required for flight in known icing.

The MU-2 is so awesome, it sold hundreds of thousands! Oh... Wait... :)

There's a standby trim system that runs slowly if it's that hard for you.

It's easy to make a turnoff at 2000 ft. past the threshold with little or no braking in calm winds. Why are you getting on the brakes above 60 kts?

Fair point that it is slow, but it hauls much more weight than a similar sized King Air. They were designed for different purposes. I think it was never intended to fly for more than 300 miles at a time. If you consider the fuel burn per pound-mile it is not out of line.

Our C models with 20k-30k hours tend to be very reliable. The earlier ones (I've flown one with as many as 52k) do have some issues with squawks but still work hard every day.

It sure saves money when you don't have to overhaul your engines every few years.

It's a revenue generating airplane, not an Extra 300. The operators want something that's easy to put a low time pilot in the left seat of.

I've never feared the security of the door, but it is nice when they have a large cargo door instead of the airstairs to hit your shin on.

I've never flown one without it. According to the AFM it's required for flight in known icing.

Well said. I dislike the cables for the airstair being in the way, I've not yet injured my shins. Knock on wood.

The nose isn't un-aerodynamic either. The pod however...

Pshhh... airstair 99's suck! I like the cargo door!

As far as the brake issue, if you flat spot a tire on this thing, YOURE DOING IT WRONG!!! I rarely even touch the brakes on most landings, and if I have a high speed taxiway, I can go all the way to the ramp without brakes. Reverse and beta/ground fine are all you really need on any runway longer than 1500' aaand thats just to stop in the first 60% ;) (even shorter if you bring her in slow).

Anyone who has any time in a taildragger such as a Cub wont have any problems with these brakes, although I know a lot of people like to test their short field landing technique on ever landing even if they have 2 miles of runway... see it all the time.

Pshhh... airstair 99's suck! I like the cargo door!

As far as the brake issue, if you flat spot a tire on this thing, YOURE DOING IT WRONG!!! I rarely even touch the brakes on most landings, and if I have a high speed taxiway, I can go all the way to the ramp without brakes. Reverse and beta/ground fine are all you really need on any runway longer than 1500' aaand thats just to stop in the first 60% ;) (even shorter if you bring her in slow).

Anyone who has any time in a taildragger such as a Cub wont have any problems with these brakes, although I know a lot of people like to test their short field landing technique on ever landing even if they have 2 miles of runway... see it all the time.

I test my shortfield skillzzz (what's left of them) all the time. If you hit your point, and your slow enough, you can stop the 99 in about 1000' with a full load with brakes, that becomes about 2000' to 2500' without them (depending on slope, wind, etc.). I don't usually bother with brakes unless I'm trying to make a turnoff, there's no real need to.

exactly, hitting the brakes above about 60 knots seems to be where guys get in trouble with blown tires... By no means am I some sort of expert with this airplane, BUT I fail to see how you can flat spot the tires unless youre being WAY to aggressive with brakes (something you can get away with on other aircraft)

I never flat spotted one, since I always flew in to loooong strips. But if I win the lottery in the next month, I'm gonna hire me some Riddle Aces to judge and we're gonna have a spot landing competition at NJC. My Mitsi vs. Your Almost-A-King-Air. If there's a tie, we'll go to hearing damage. Some guy outside the Mitsi vs. Some poor sucker inside the Crapbox.

You know what the Garrett salute is, right?

(plugging both ears... with the middle fingers haha)

Im about to go to training for the mighty Metroliner, soon as I pass that checkride, I am going to bash the 99 too! lol

Im about to go to training for the mighty Metroliner, soon as I pass that checkride, I am going to bash the 99 too! lol

Congrats on the upgrade! If we ever cross paths on the ramp I'm going to have to slink away in to the shadows before you see me in my CAP-worthy Flight Suit flying an airplane with ONE PT-6. :(

We had one guy on a 1900 square all 4 mains (before I got there), two weeks before he'd done the same thing with 2 tires on the right. So I know it's easy to do. Years back ACK had 4 of those thick rubber strips down the first half of the runway, courtesy of the mighty 1900.

How the heck do you do that. 3 years and still haven't done one tire in the 1900. But I have studded snow tires on my bird. Did hear about a metro land with parking brake on blew all four out and holds worlds record for shortest metro landing. Did fly a 99 with high float kit once it was nice.

I test my shortfield skillzzz (what's left of them) all the time. If you hit your point, and your slow enough, you can stop the 99 in about 1000' with a full load with brakes, that becomes about 2000' to 2500' without them (depending on slope, wind, etc.). I don't usually bother with brakes unless I'm trying to make a turnoff, there's no real need to.

You're unsafe...

How the heck do you do that. 3 years and still haven't done one tire in the 1900. But I have studded snow tires on my bird. Did hear about a metro land with parking brake on blew all four out and holds worlds record for shortest metro landing. Did fly a 99 with high float kit once it was nice.

The story goes the captain was letting a newish FO land in ACK with one of those traditional 30knt crosswinds (which in time bring in a layer of 600RVR fog). The FO was losing the center line so the captain rushed in like a hero and crunched down on the brakes, very big help because the airplane started sliding to the right being weather vaned. Landing from the north you could see the evidence of braking gone wrong from 4 thick patches of rubber drifting right shortly after the aiming markers.

Told to a guy that told it to a guy that told it to me.

You know what the Garrett salute is, right?

(plugging both ears... with the middle fingers haha)

You must bash all beech products

I never flat spotted one, since I always flew in to loooong strips. But if I win the lottery in the next month, I'm gonna hire me some Riddle Aces to judge and we're gonna have a spot landing competition at NJC. My Mitsi vs. Your Almost-A-King-Air. If there's a tie, we'll go to hearing damage. Some guy outside the Mitsi vs. Some poor sucker inside the Crapbox.

The interior noise is a valid complaint, you should have led off with that.

Goddamn the thing is noisy as all hell. I swear I was half-deaf for like 3 weeks after I forgot to bring extra batteries on a Mexico charter.

Back when i flew the 99 my flightcom denali broke right before departure once. The headband snapped which rendered them useless. That 1.5hr flight had to account for atleast 50% of any hearing I've lost over the years!

The inside of the metro is considered quiet compared to the 99!

THEY didn't want it to. Duh.
I have heard tell, and I don't know since I never flew the MU-2, but I heard that an engine failure on take off is some bad business, especially if you follow the normal "turn into the good engine" instinct and the spoiler on the good engine comes up + no thrust on the bad engine. Care to elaborate?

Back