99 replacement aircraft?

I have heard tell, and I don't know since I never flew the MU-2, but I heard that an engine failure on take off is some bad business, especially if you follow the normal "turn into the good engine" instinct and the spoiler on the good engine comes up + no thrust on the bad engine. Care to elaborate?

This is definitely true. The first "memory item" for an engine failure is roll trim, since there are trim ailerons (rather than spoilers). It does not behave at all like your average light twin in an engine-out situation, especially at low speeds. I'm sure I've gone on at absurd length about this somewhere, I'll see if I can find it...

This is definitely true. The first "memory item" for an engine failure is roll trim, since there are trim ailerons (rather than spoilers). It does not behave at all like your average light twin in an engine-out situation, especially at low speeds. I'm sure I've gone on at absurd length about this somewhere, I'll see if I can find it...

Know what's great? When a plane flies like an airplane and nothing stupid happens due to poor engineering.

Know what's great? When a plane flies like an airplane and nothing stupid happens due to poor engineering.

Plane flies great if you follow the procedures and fly the wing rather than reverting to flying a Seminole. Know what else is great? Beating a Princess Air in every performance category and burning less fuel.

From wikipedia (my bold added for emphasis).

A design feature of the MU-2 is its high cruise speed while having a low landing speed. This is accomplished by using full-span, double-slotted flaps on the trailing edge of the wing. These flaps give the MU-2 a wing area comparable to a Beech King Air in landing configuration while having a wing area comparable to a light jet while in cruise mode. The full-span flaps meant that over-wing spoilers were employed instead of conventional ailerons. These spoilers are highly effective, even when the MU-2 wing is stalled. Some fatal accidents have occurred because normal engine-out procedures for light twin aircraft are not effective when flying the MU-2. The commonly taught procedure of reducing flap following an engine failure on take off leads to a critical reduction in lift in the MU-2 due to the highly effective double-slotted flaps. When pilots were taught to retain take-off flap and to reduce climb rate in the event of an engine failure, MU-2 accident rates reduced to almost nil.

When Beechcraft finally gets around to making the 99D, they should make it a bit bigger and bigger engines.

Huh, according to a preliminary wiki search , it says the Beechcraft has already made a bigger 99, it was successful, and is already out of production.

Told you it was a good idea!

Well as far as I'm concerned the 99 is going to be much more fun than instructing in a trauma hawk, I can't wait

Borris are you listening?

I'm sorry I ever doubted you. The first couple hundred hours in the Mighty 99 I had stars in my eyes. The last few hundred hours I groan as I bang my knees climbing the ladder, or bash my knuckles on the Ice Vanes, or wonder if the door is really closed, or the fuel caps are really on their, or am I going to look like a cokehead because the cannula tears a hole in my septum.

However in her defense, I know I can stop her in less than 1000' without shredding a tire. I can also get her airborne in less than 1000' fully loaded. So she can perform when I want her too. She's just not built for comfort

Back