787 Training

Why do redeyes exist in the first place? I guess maybe useful for business travel sometimes, or for parents of young children who think their kid will get a good rest......but really?

I suppose from a business perspective it makes sense to keep using the planes after hours to sell more seats to people who want cheaper cheap tickets, or just didn't plan ahead.
Utilization. If you schedule it, people will buy tickets.

Almost all of the redeyes I've been doing recently have been packed. Passengers seem to love them

Few years ago for Christmas, my wife gifted me a set of Bose Sleepbuds II. Sadly they have been discontinued, but they are awesome for quiet rooms.

Even on a day trip, I bring along my standard rollaboard. It has night clothes and toiletries. No get-home-itis for me, even on day trips.

I’ve flown with FOs who do day trips that don’t pack a bag and comment how they have been doing it for years and (I quote) “have no plans to be stuck in Mexico.”

Um, news flash, yeah you can be stuck. One serious write up in the logbook and you’re done for.

Nothing more than an inconvenience, I assume the guy will just sleep in his undies or buy clothes at a local store, wear the same uniform shirt tomorrow and out we go then. But still, as a CA it strikes me weird when a FO tried to tell me we won’t be getting stuck somewhere.

Even on a day trip, I bring along my standard rollaboard. It has night clothes and toiletries. No get-home-itis for me, even on day trips.

I’ve flown with FOs who do day trips that don’t pack a bag and comment how they have been doing it for years and (I quote) “have no plans to be stuck in Mexico.”

Um, news flash, yeah you can be stuck. One serious write up in the logbook and you’re done for.

Nothing more than an inconvenience, I assume the guy will just sleep in his undies or buy clothes at a local store, wear the same uniform shirt tomorrow and out we go then. But still, as a CA it strikes me weird when a FO tried to tell me we won’t be getting stuck somewhere.

I've been around airplanes long enough to never make that claim, but I would say my calculus was (if we got stuck), it was a redeye anyway, and I'd just go to hotel, hang my stuff up in the closet like I usually do, and sleep until it was time to fly a new plane home. Not like I'd have a bunch of otherwise wasted time to go out and about.

To be fair, if those guys have been doing it for years, they are probably willing to accept the consequences of guessing wrong one time.

I've been around airplanes long enough to never make that claim, but I would say my calculus was (if we got stuck), it was a redeye anyway, and I'd just go to hotel, hang my stuff up in the closet like I usually do, and sleep until it was time to fly a new plane home. Not like I'd have a bunch of otherwise wasted time to go out and about.

To be fair, if those guys have been doing it for years, they are probably willing to accept the consequences of guessing wrong one time.

You’d probably hang out in the airport terminal until you were about to time out, then get asked to extend by the captain who can’t say no to CS. Then you get to go to the hotel.

At least that was my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’d probably hang out in the airport terminal until you were about to time out, then get asked to extend by the captain who can’t say no to CS. Then you get to go to the hotel.

At least that was my experience.

Under that jacket, I wear an unbelievable fighter pilot watch. The stories I could tell in airport bars (with my hands) while we wait would be the things my boys would write stories about. I think SNL once did a documentary about this.....

Under that jacket, I wear an unbelievable fighter pilot watch. The stories I could tell in airport bars (with my hands) while we wait would be the things my boys would write stories about. I think SNL once did a documentary about this.....

I made memes about the inbound taxiing into the air stairs, while we waited in the terminal...

I made memes about the inbound taxiing into the air stairs, while we waited in the terminal...

Every ETOPS trip I do, I have the fantasy of being cancelled. One time I found a fire test loop that didn't work. Sadly, I learned what that little loop 1 or 2 switch does, and they fixed the broken loop in maybe less than 30 mins.

Every ETOPS trip I do, I have the fantasy of being cancelled. One time I found a fire test loop that didn't work. Sadly, I learned what that little loop 1 or 2 switch does, and they fixed the broken loop in maybe less than 30 mins.

Ya gotta do better than that. Wing duct overheat. Even if it’s just low voltage to the sensor it grounds the aircraft for two days.

I’ve heard the parking brake pressure dropping 500 psi in 5 mins is a ground the plane for a while thing…

Few years ago for Christmas, my wife gifted me a set of Bose Sleepbuds II. Sadly they have been discontinued, but they are awesome for quiet rooms.
I had a pair of the first gen ones and they were really quite awesome despite the fact that they “didn’t live up to the Bose name” (whatever that means and by the manufacturer’s own analysis apparently). That said, a pair of foam earplugs work just as well for me nowadays and I don’t have to remember to recharge them.

We had an engine fire loop status message post in Paris the other day and the ensuing ETOPS downgrade, new flight plan and extra 2,000lbs of fuel required turned into an hour long French soap opera.

I swear we don’t work at the same place, but we kinda do.

I swear we don’t work at the same place, but we kinda do.
It might surprise you (or it might not) to know that most airlines are pretty same-y when it comes to this sort of thing. I’ve seen ‘dumb’ in four different uniforms now, and each time you see it you add it to your mental book of “so, for this, I would not do that.”

Almost all of the redeyes I've been doing recently have been packed. Passengers seem to love them

As a passenger I like them. Especially since getting to New Jersey where I live from the western U.S. takes all day on daytime flights, and usually ends up being a nightmare.

It might surprise you (or it might not) to know that most airlines are pretty same-y when it comes to this sort of thing. I’ve seen ‘dumb’ in four different uniforms now, and each time you see it you add it to your mental book of “so, for this, I would not do that.”

I thought that was going to magically disappear when I “made it.”

edit - this comment made somewhat in jest

Back