787 Training

First day of training today. Really cool plane. I’d recommend anyone going to the 78 fly the 73 first just to appreciate the 78 even more.

The good: It has a tray table. I did not know that. Sure, it’s on your side and not in front, but it’s there.

The bad: The touch pad is very meh.
Just over halfway through now. Big takeaway from Procedures through Maneuvers is that coming from another Boeing makes this a piece a cake. The HUD is just cheating. Autopilot enabled go arounds are - well - once you do it once why keep practicing it? Electronic checklists are the shiznit.

Reading ahead the LOFT stuff looks more challenging as my only overwater experience is on the WATRS. Looking forward to putting that stuff in practice.

The touchpad is way better in the full motion sim… I was judging it based on the flight training devices. I can whiz through a box load pretty quickly now but yeah, real buttons would be easier.

Two weeks to go and I can’t wait to start getting a better than 5/2 schedule again. This is starting to feel too much like a job and I certainly didn’t become an airline pilot to live a muggle life.

Last edited:
Just over halfway through now. Big takeaway from Procedures through Maneuvers is that coming from another Boeing makes this a piece a cake. The HUD is just cheating. Autopilot enabled go arounds are - well - once you do it once why keep practicing it? Electronic checklists are the shiznit.

Reading ahead the LOFT stuff looks more challenging as my only overwater experience is on the WATRS. Looking forward to putting that stuff in practice.

The touchpad is way better in the full motion sim… I was judging it based on the flight training devices. I can whiz through a box load pretty quickly now but year, real buttons would be easier.

Two weeks to go and I can’t wait to start getting a better than 5/2 schedule again. This is starting to feel too much like a job and I certainly didn’t become an airline pilot to live a muggle life.
The electronic checklists are awesome. I got used to those real fast. The transition from Boeing to Boeing would make it a lot easier. Going from Airbus to Boeing took some work.

As a very domesticated pilot as well, I will let you know how the first crossing goes next week. It's gonna be a huge adjustment.

The electronic checklists are awesome. I got used to those real fast. The transition from Boeing to Boeing would make it a lot easier. Going from Airbus to Boeing took some work.

As a very domesticated pilot as well, I will let you know how the first crossing goes next week. It's gonna be a huge adjustment.
You on the 78? Where at?

If you have CPDLC, crossings are a cake walk. They will make you go old skool on your line check, just so you know how it used to be. Lot's of weird contingency stuff you should know but will never happen. CPDLC and the GPS updating the FMC are game changers. Lots of time to plan your layover in Hawaii.

Out of curiosity, is there much difference between crossings on the Atlantic tracks, and say, your run of the mill HI islands crossing? Other than obvious geographical/divert differences?

I like the HI crossings, and they seem to go junior quite a lot where I work, so I happily do them at least once a month. Kind of a luxury in the dead of winter up in the PNW quite honestly/helps keep the tan current. I'm kind of a busy body in the airplane, so I don't really just sit back much (old habits die hard I guess), but you could theoretically just rip farts and play candy crush for 5 hours if you wanted to.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, is there much difference between crossings on the Atlantic tracks, and say, your run of the mill HI islands crossing? Other than obvious geographical/divert differences?

I like the HI crossings, and they seem to go junior quite a lot where I work, so I happily do them at least once a month. Kind of a luxury in the dead of winter up in the PNW quite honestly/helps keep the tan current. I'm kind of a busy body in the airplane, so I don't really just sit back much (old habits die hard I guess), but you could theoretically just rip farts and play candy crush for 5 hours if you wanted to.

Nowadays, not a whole lot of difference. Shanwick used to be pretty particular about what they wanted to hear, but got pretty relaxed during the Rona and seemed to have stayed that way.

Only differences I can think of are the oceanic clearance that separate from your regular ATC clearance, they want your max altitude included in the free text, track message number if not on a random route, and when you call gander the first time they want to know what FIR you’ll be talking to next.

Anybody else have anything to add? I only get to do the Atlantic a couple times a year.

If you want to have fun with Gander or Shan. Throw some abeam points in the FMS.

The ECL is nice, but during an emergency it can be a pain navigating through the non normal checklists.

I put this bad boy on the iPad at the old company, and back again here for the Azores stuff but it's literally everything you need for contingency planning.

NAT-CONTINGENCY-final-version.jpg

MV today and I have to share this.

The HUD in the sim on my side was broken. Instructor tried to change sims, none available. I tell him as long as it’s not some AQP requirement or something, I’m good, man. Let’s do this thing. There’s concern. “But we have to do V1 cuts and a single engine missed…”

He was cool - he just wanted to make sure he wasn’t screwing me over on a validation which I appreciate, but when people told me about “HUD cripples” they weren’t kidding.

Everything went fine. Apparently the information presented on the PFD works too. 😜

MV today and I have to share this.

The HUD in the sim on my side was broken. Instructor tried to change sims, none available. I tell him as long as it’s not some AQP requirement or something, I’m good, man. Let’s do this thing. There’s concern. “But we have to do V1 cuts and a single engine missed…”

He was cool - he just wanted to make sure he wasn’t screwing me over on a validation which I appreciate, but when people told me about “HUD cripples” they weren’t kidding.

Everything went fine. Apparently the information presented on the PFD works too. 😜
The way the HGS at QX was taught in the Q, it made for cripples.

One of my fav things to do on upgrade OE was to let people fly a couple legs without it…enjoy just flying the plane from the left seat.

Back