787 Training

anyone going to the 78 fly the 73 first just to appreciate the 78 even more.
1688269004905.gif

The funny thing is that at training they tell you all the stuff that causes both acute and chronic fatigue, they even display a schedule that would be fatiguing af and then go and build the schedules with zero regard to, wel, anything.
I always enjoy the monthly “naughty list” that one of the union fatigue apparatchiks puts out.

“Yup that one would be a no, that one would be an even harder no, oh my, why did they do that?”

I really monumentally f-ed away the come home day post redeye schedule on Friday am. Was originally scheduled to have fancy new fridge delivered on the 3rd, but they updated it to be Friday after I got home. I saw noon-4 as window, so thought, cool, land at like 0530, will be home by about 8, can nap for 2-3 hrs, then do it. Turns out I got to sleep at about 1130, slept through them knocking on the door at 1150, and then awoke to my alarm at noon and a bunch of missed calls. Never got back to sleep. I had failed to nap during the day before our redeye so I'd already been up a long time by then. In laws were in town, so we did kid stuff and then went out to dinner. By the time I laid down on the couch before the kids bedtime, I'd been up I think for 32 hours or so, save the 30 min nap. Woke up shivering with a fever an hour or so later, crawled in bed, and slept like 14 hours straight through all the morning kid noise today. Great news, the fridge comes next week not after a redeye

I really monumentally f-ed away the come home day post redeye schedule on Friday am. Was originally scheduled to have fancy new fridge delivered on the 3rd, but they updated it to be Friday after I got home. I saw noon-4 as window, so thought, cool, land at like 0530, will be home by about 8, can nap for 2-3 hrs, then do it. Turns out I got to sleep at about 1130, slept through them knocking on the door at 1150, and then awoke to my alarm at noon and a bunch of missed calls. Never got back to sleep. I had failed to nap during the day before our redeye so I'd already been up a long time by then. In laws were in town, so we did kid stuff and then went out to dinner. By the time I laid down on the couch before the kids bedtime, I'd been up I think for 32 hours or so, save the 30 min nap. Woke up shivering with a fever an hour or so later, crawled in bed, and slept like 14 hours straight through all the morning kid noise today. Great news, the fridge comes next week not after a redeye
I did all redeyes for about three years. It took a toll on me.

I did all redeyes for about three years. It took a toll on me.

That would be brutal. I don't do them too much (thanks to 3rd step trade), but when I do, it is normally a short back transcon, which I've learned to kind of control. Turn the temp waaaay down in the room, have a small piece of a mellie gummy, and get a pretty good rest before flying an evening E-W that lands at a sort of normal human evening hour. The redeye back home really f's with me though. Kids are too loud, too much stuff going on, it's just a way different world than a quiet crew hotel room. And driving 2 hrs home through am SEA traffic after an all nighter is also real brutal.

That would be brutal. I don't do them too much (thanks to 3rd step trade), but when I do, it is normally a short back transcon, which I've learned to kind of control. Turn the temp waaaay down in the room, have a small piece of a mellie gummy, and get a pretty good rest before flying an evening E-W that lands at a sort of normal human evening hour. The redeye back home really f's with me though. Kids are too loud, too much stuff going on, it's just a way different world than a quiet crew hotel room. And driving 2 hrs home through am SEA traffic after an all nighter is also real brutal.
A redeye back west would hurt.

I did a redeye to the east coast, day sleep, fly back. Then go to the crashpad and sleep, then do it again. Usually two redeye trips stacked up together. Land after the last one around 1am and wait until the 6am flight home.

So nice now having a hotel and flight booked for me before and after a trip.

The funny thing is that at training they tell you all the stuff that causes both acute and chronic fatigue, they even display a schedule that would be fatiguing af and then go and build the schedules with zero regard to, wel, anything.

Our 24 hour layovers are the worst, mostly because it can be a full 17 day pattern of them instead of kind of a rhythm going back and forth to Europe. So needless to say that comes up in recurrent a lot when talking to management. "I mean...we still have an airline to run."

Our 24 hour layovers are the worst, mostly because it can be a full 17 day pattern of them instead of kind of a rhythm going back and forth to Europe. So needless to say that comes up in recurrent a lot when talking to management. "I mean...we still have an airline to run."
Wide body problems, I guess.

The traffic at the end of it all is the worst part. You finally get out of the terminal, the bus ride and then you get on the freeway and it's stop and go traffic that doubles the drive time home. It's the worst.

The traffic at the end of it all is the worst part. You finally get out of the terminal, the bus ride and then you get on the freeway and it's stop and go traffic that doubles the drive time home. It's the worst.

Totally. That being said, I lucked out today......if blocking in at 0410 can be considered "luck". Other than waiting 20 mins for the NEPL bus, it was probably my new record time home. Once I got past UW, there were hardly any cars on the road the whole way back north.

Totally. That being said, I lucked out today......if blocking in at 0410 can be considered "luck". Other than waiting 20 mins for the NEPL bus, it was probably my new record time home. Once I got past UW, there were hardly any cars on the road the whole way back north.

Beep beep beeeooottccchhhhheesssss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll say for all the times I have been up for a 0500 flight brief/into work that early (which is my personal nightmare, but one I've come to live with as Pilat), I've never felt as wide awake as I do going the other direction, going home. It must be how my wife (a real morning person) feels....."omg, how is it only 4:50 am, it feels like it is noon already, why isn't everyone up????? RESPOND TO MY TEXTSSSSSS"

That was me, last week, blocking in from ANC-SEA redeye…home before 0600, after landing at 0440. Got a solid 4hrs of sleep before I was on dad duty the rest of the day.

Didn’t need to scope Waze to see if driving in the HOV lane was worth the risk :confused2:;)

I'll say for all the times I have been up for a 0500 flight brief/into work that early (which is my personal nightmare, but one I've come to live with as Pilat), I've never felt as wide awake as I do going the other direction, going home. It must be how my wife (a real morning person) feels....."omg, how is it only 4:50 am, it feels like it is noon already, why isn't everyone up????? RESPOND TO MY TEXTSSSSSS"

Yeah I’m the opposite. I was up around 0500 and I have to force myself to try and sleep a bit more before the I’m supposed to be awake.

The PNW summers are awesome but my body is like “let’s get it!” if it’s light out.

I’m super nervous about red eye reserve. I’m just not built for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was me, last week, blocking in from ANC-SEA redeye…home before 0600, after landing at 0440. Got a solid 4hrs of sleep before I was on dad duty the rest of the day.

Didn’t need to scope Waze to see if driving in the HOV lane was worth the risk :confused2:;)

hah yeah mine was the ANC all nighter. I think we got maybe 2 hrs of darkness once on the return leg, offset by mega moon. It was a daylight walk around at 2300 up there. Fun points for not having to lug around an overnight bag at least :)

Back