3 Checkrides scheduled for one day.

Kid,

By your third ride of the day, you are going to need your "Examater" to indeed be a sympathetic family friend.

theres no evidence in your post that you are looking for a publicity stunt, so I am not going to knock you on that. Still, its ridiclous to schedule all these rides on one day. You say that You've always wanted to do three checkrides in one day??? How old were you when this plan congealed?? Did you on your own come up with these three rides in one day. Most CFI's would find this unusual, so we want to be prepared for anyone else with such zeal.

Dude, if passing your checkrides is the utmost priority, WHY would you do all three on one day. People might be giving you are hard time here but most of those that are have been through lots more checkrides than you, since you have been through zero rides.

You've announced your ambitious plans without anyone having first asked. Since we all help each other on this forum, help me. How is your career substantially advanced by having all these three rides accomplished on one day, just in case I am missing out on something important in my aviation career development. I am not being sarcastic. I got a CFI-I ride on friday. Should I postpone it until I can do my CFI-I/MEI/ and ATP ride on the same day? I will if there is a good reason. By the way, I am an AWESOME PILOT, so what do you think?

[ QUOTE ]
I am by no meand jealous of you, I think it is great that you have goals, but there is so much more to do. If you live, eat, and breathe airplanes, you are going to burn yourself out. I have been there and done that. I was known as one of the best motocross race mechanics around. I have won numerous national and regional championships as well as worked for some of the best riders in the country. During junior high and high school all I dreamed about was racing motorcycles. I worked around them every day for years, and now the sound of them irratates me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is something I was wanting to say, just as a 'been there, done that' bit of advice to CitationKid.

If you want to take 3 in one day, by all means go for it, as I said over on the other board I start hyperventilating the night before a ride, and require consumption of numerous alcoholic beverages the evening after (and my DE is awesome, too - no matter...) - that is just for ONE ride. If I did 3 I'd probably end up dead of a massive coronary.

But as a ditto to Buzo's comment. My experiences were just like him but with horses. I lived ate (well, not LITERALLY!) breathed slept horses and showing them. I'd get out of school race home and ride and work in the barn till it got dark. Then I read horse magazines, watched my show videos, studied riding theory and technique till I went to bed. My barn was so spotless it was probably sterile enough to perform surgery in. My saddlery was always spit-polished. My horses were gleaming and were perfectly trimmed, absolutely manicured manes and tails. If they rolled in the mud I freaked out. I had a system for packing the trailer for a show and wouldn't let any one else touch my packing. I was the only one who got my horse braided and ready for show because it didn't look as good when someone else did it. If it rained and I couldn't ride, I had a fit of hysterics. My whole life lived and died via the horses.

I bet you can guess where this obsessive, control-freak type behavior landed me - completely burned out on showing. I see others doing the same thing and cringe.

In a way it was a blessing in disguise because I finally took a break and started flying - something I'd always wanted to do esp at your age but I couldn't break away from the horses. I've still got my old retired show horse, my mom and sister are still actively showing, but I'm so much different - if my horse covers himself in mud, I don't care. He deserves to spend lots of time outside he's retired and should enjoy life and be a horse as much as possible! The barn actually gets dirty and I haven't cleaned my saddle in 3 months.
wink.gif

I have to be careful with the flying because I'm absolutely in love with it. I make sure I still ride, give riding lessons, do stuff with the boyfriend, go out, go to sporting events, you name it. I don't allow my WHOLE life to be aviation (only about 75% of it
grin.gif
) because I don't want to go down that burnout road again. It sucks.

So at your age, enjoy life do stuff with your friends all the stuff a 15 year old is supposed to do. I missed a lot of it and I regret it. You've got realistically 45 more years to fulfill your aviation career so enjoy these times while they're around - don't be a flash-in-the-pan aviation prodigy. Lord knows there were (and are) tons of those in the horse-show world...

just remember my riding instructor's mantra: the 3T's. Things Take Time.

Sarah

Again, WHY? Will there be someone waiting to hire you when you are 17 + 1 day? What about college? What about your driver's license (assuming you are not in Alabama where I think its 15 to get a license)? The senior prom? Slow down homeboy, thats all I am saying.

CK:

In my opinion, attempting three checkrides in one day shows a lack of sound judgement. This is exactly what you don't want to see in a pilot. This is probably why many posters here question your maturity.

At this stage of your life, you'd be much better served by focusing your attention on academics. Develop a proficiency in something other than aviation. It will round-out your personality and provide you with a fall-back. You never know what could happen (burn-out, debilitating injury, etc.).

After reading all of this, I have a couple of things to add:

1. Yes - I am jealous as hell of the opportunities that Citationkid has been given thus far in his young life. I only wish I had been that fortunate...But, I wasn't and I have to get my flying experience the old-school way.

2. I have to agree with the individual who made the "stunt" comment... sounds a LOT like a stunt, rather than something that is actually going to happen. If it happens, it happens... and you live.. so be it... I'll be even more envious. BUT... as aloft said - you absolutely need other interests!

Perhaps you do have interests outside aviation - who's to say?

But, I have to question the judgment of someone who would put you in that situation of taking three checkrides in one day.

As other posters have mentioned, I, personally, am BEAT after one checkride. Regardless of how much you know you stuff, checkrides are mentally taxing.

I'm considering the posibility of doing the SEL-Comm. and the MEL-Comm. ride on the same day, and as of right now, that possibility is NOT appealing.

What's wrong with breaking them up and doing them over a three-day period? Gives your physical batteries time to recharge.

I'm rambling, but what I'm trying to say is - chill. You are young... VERY young.

You've got PLENTY of time. Go on a date. Go ride a bike. Go build a fort.... have fun.

After all - you are - as your log in I.D. says - a KID.

I do wish you the best of luck in your aviation endevours. Just know that there is SO much more to life than pigeonholing yourself into one thing.

Think about this CK - what if you don't pass your physical? Then what?

All the best.

R2F

I was lying in bed last night thinking about all this and I thought of some thing. Most of you were nervouse because on your PPL you had like 50 hours, I have 200, on your multi you had 5 hours multi, I have 100. Helicopters are a different story tho I'm very inexperienced with them. So I've had much more time to prepare for the checkrides then most of you had. I understand what you people are saying and I thank you for your advice, but I still would love to do this. The nice thing is if I fail it doesn't matter. I still have another 5 years before it counts so I'll be as calm as I normally am when I fly.

Again thanks for the advice.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if you do fail a checkride that is kind of a blackmark on your aviation record. One may not be bad but if you fail more than once, won't prospective employers see that? But then again with the connections that you appear to have, the possible failed checkrides may not matter. Who knows? Like you said when you take your check ride you will have way more hours than most ever do. I took my PPL at 47 hours and should have my IR checkride around 100 hours. good luck with whatever you do.....

[ QUOTE ]

BUT... as aloft said - you absolutely need other interests!

Perhaps you do have interests outside aviation - who's to say?

You've got PLENTY of time. Go on a date. Go ride a bike. Go build a fort.... have fun.

After all - you are - as your log in I.D. says - a KID.

Think about this CK - what if you don't pass your physical? Then what?

All the best.

R2F

[/ QUOTE ]

I play footbal, l basket ball, and golf for school. I have had a steady girl for the past year. I already have a physical from my glider solo. I will already have taken one checkride on my 16th birthday(glider). I think I answered all of your question.
tongue.gif

Dude do as you please - it seems that you would do it anyways. 200 hours of holding the yoke really does not count!

I think our point is clear - you have had a steady girlfriend for a year and you are 15 - dude when you are 15 your should have a different gf atleast everyweek!! It is called being young!!!

[ QUOTE ]
so I don't make any bad decision

[/ QUOTE ]
You know. In a lot of ways it's better to make bad decisions when you're young.

My sister is 19 and getting ready to completely screw up her life by committing herself to this loser of a guy who would be a lot better if he'd just come out of the closet. But hey, she's 19 if she gets married at 22 and divorced at 27 then she's still in her 20's and can put her life back together. Like an older friend of ours' says, "Screw your life up now, so you have time to put it back together later."

BUT...

The only time that isn't true is when you do something that endangers your life. Young or old it doesn't matter.

My concerns are this:

1. You're putting a ton of pressure on yourself to pass 3 rides. If you think you won't be a bundle of nerves that day your kidding yourself. I mean there are two things that make guys (of any age) turn into blathering idiots...cool toys (like airplanes) and hot women. Think I'm kidding? Go up to the hottest girl (who's your age) that you know and politely tell her how hot she is?

2. There will be even more pressure to pass if the press is there. This is why instructors tell you not to have anyone meet you at the airport on a solo cross country. So you know, if your set on doing this...I wouldn't call the press until after you pass everything. This also avoids your story turning into a story about how horrible it is that your parents puts this much pressure on you...even if they don't.

3. You seem more interested in the cool factor than the safety factor (which is typical for 14). You said that you read accident reports all the time, but what those reports sometimes don't illustrate very well is that accidents start long before you even get to the airport.

4. Dude! When you planning on eating? I mean figure that each ride including the oral exam takes 3 hours. You're talking like 9 hours of flying. If you start at 8 AM you're looking to be done at 5 PM, and thats assuming you do them back to back. So okay, breakfast at 7 AM, lunch at 11 or 12, and dinner around 5 or 6. I guess you'd be alright, but still dude that's a major, major day, and very little time to digest. Better hope for really smooth air that day.

Anyhow, I agree with some of the other's here. Relax. Be 14 for a while, but then again I also say, "you're 14" and really haven't learned how life works yet. If I can sink one thing into your head about life it's this: Life is what happens when you're making plans.

Hey if you can do this safely then more power to you.

Later.

Naunga

[ QUOTE ]
Most of you were nervouse because on your PPL you had like 50 hours, I have 200, on your multi you had 5 hours multi, I have 100.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dork!

That shows just how neive you are to the checkrides. How are your VFR cross country diversions? Im sure you do lots of that when you riding with mom. How are your stalls with banks? Im sure you do lots of those too. Here's to three pink slips!
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I already have a physical from my glider solo

[/ QUOTE ]
Not to be an ass, but I thought all you needed to solo in a glider was a signature on a piece of paper that says you're healthy.

I don't think that's anywhere close to an FAA medical certificate.

Like I said, dude, you're young, and you'll do as you want. Just be sure that on 17th B-day we're not really some NTSB report about a 17 y/o kid who just had to take 3 rides in one day. Okay?

Later.

Naunga

Does it make you feel better to call a 15 yr. old a dork?

Jeeze this guy is just interested in aviation and he's lucky enough to have the means to start young... very young.

When you were young didn't you guys dream of flying too?

Only the difference with this guy is that he actually can...

This thing is what, 2 years off still? That's 2 years of maturing yet to go... There's a reason the minimum age is 17 for private pilots, and by the time CJKid get's to 17 I'm sure he'll have much more maturity and have a better grasp on the awesome responsibility it is to have a pilot's certificate.

Good luck CitationKid. Its gonna be tough. I couldnt imagine doing 3 checkrides in one day. I dreaded them. I know people who can't sleep the night before. Take into consideration what some of these guys are saying, but dont let them discourage you.

When these guys call you immature I laugh. You've showed your maturity on this thread. Its 4 pages of bashing you, yet you've continued to come back and post, and in those post you never have attacked anyone nor gotten upset. I think you might be more mature than some of the older members on this site.

I think maturity level comes a lot from who you hang out with more than your age. If you'er 15 and you hang out with 24 year olds all the time, your going to be a lot more mature than a group of 15 year olds at your high school.

btw, Is one examiner doing all 3?

-brian

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was going to use some other term, but im sure the censor would have gotten it.
Being interested in aviation at a young age is great. Being an an arrogant and stating that you can handle so many checkrides because you have many more hours than the rest lowly private pilots is a "Dorkish" quality. There is nothing at all wrong with being interested young, but realizing that you have alot to learn and just because you ride the yoke on a larger aircraft means nothing. I have more respect for that kid who is out there washing and cleaning airplanes,LISTENING to pilots in the airport, and hoping that one of them will ask if he wants to go.

On another message boards he stated that he couldnt figure out why people where telling him he wasnt a pilot, when he flew bigger planes than they did. What a joke.

This whole thread is worthless anyhow. There wasnt even a question stated, He just wanted to tell us all the grand news so we could set our VCR (or TIVO) to tape CNN when he is the lead story. HA!

A good attitude will get you farther in this biz than thinking your are the shiznit for riding right seat, hopefully youll lose this "Gods gift to aviation" attitude before you hit commercial flying.

SEEEEEEeya
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
So your calling me imature?

[/ QUOTE ]
Dude? According to the Federal government, most state governments, and most scientific opinions, you are immature.

I'll never understand where teenagers (myself included about 10 years ago) got this whole "maturity" bent from.

Yes. I'll concede that you may have better judgement than most people your age, but that's just for people your age.

You've got 2 more years until the FAA thinks you're mature enough to have a pilots license, 3 more years until the Federal Government thinks your mature enough to vote, smoke, and die for your country, and 6 more years until you're mature enough to drink in most states.

Now, I also admit that maturity (as you would define it) is not soully linked to one's age. I know plenty of "immature" 30 year olds, and you know, they're usually really easy to identify: they get really defensive when someone questions their maturity. Hmm.

Look, being immature isn't such a bad thing. We learn quite a bit about life when we're immature. We learn to walk, talk, read, write, use a toliet, make friend, fall in love, etc., etc. It's called youth. We're one of the only species in nature that actual have a period in our development where our phyical growth is halted so we can learn about life.

Too many people are squandering that time. Too many parents (not to say that your's are, but just to rant in general at this point) are making their kids miss those times. Packing them with 3 sports, music lessons, flying lessons, church groups, etc. etc. etc. Part of the problem is that somehow people have been convinced that life is short, and maybe it is, but we live as long as we're supposed to and thats it.

So to you I say, accept the fact that you're immature (esspecially compared to people here). In fact reveal in it. Embrace it. Make fart noises in the middle of a nice restaurant because you can, and getting grounded isn't the end of the world. Dye your hair blue right before a family picture. BE A KID. Stop trying to be an adult before your time. You're getting experiences that the adults here would have loved to have had when they were your age. Me I had experiences as a kid that you'll never have. Can't help it that was my childhood. So before you start to wonder, am I jealous. Nope. Been there. Done that. Had my childhood. I just hate seeing people live up to the saying that "Youth is wasted on the young."

As far as the checkrides go. Again if 2 years from now (or whatever) you feel that you can do it safely more power to you.

Later.

Naunga

[ QUOTE ]
I was lying in bed last night thinking about all this and I thought of some thing. Most of you were nervouse because on your PPL you had like 50 hours, I have 200, on your multi you had 5 hours multi, I have 100. Helicopters are a different story tho I'm very inexperienced with them. So I've had much more time to prepare for the checkrides then most of you had. I understand what you people are saying and I thank you for your advice, but I still would love to do this. The nice thing is if I fail it doesn't matter. I still have another 5 years before it counts so I'll be as calm as I normally am when I fly.

Again thanks for the advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the world of sea and whitewater kayaking, there is a saying that (I think) was borrowed from flying and is quite relevant here. There are old kayakers and bold kayakers. There are, however, no old AND bold kayakers.

Being someone who, like SBE, was very good at something when I was young, I would like to think that you might listen to some of the very good advice being offered to you on this forum. While there might be a few jealous posters, I think that what upsets most people here is that you are - despite your protests - demonstrating an arrogance and an immaturity that could prove dangerous in an airplane.

Starting a post like this one makes it seem like you want bragging rights (two years in advance, even!). Making comments like those in the quote above make it sound like you believe that you're too good and too expereinced to consider the advice of other pilots.

In kayaking, as in flying, safety is not as clear cut as it may seem. Most people can learn to paddle from here to there or put back pressure on the yoke at rotation speed without too much trouble. What makes a safe kayaker, though, is a sound base in seamanship. Knowing how to roll a kayak doesn't mean a thing if you lack the knowledge, experience, and maturity to avoid situations that require you to do so. As one of my instructors once said, knowing how to roll is a victory, having to roll is a defeat.

I don't doubt that you are probably a decent pilot. In reading your posts, however, I can find examples of four of the five hazardous attitudes. Anti-authority, impulsivity, invulnerability, and macho all peek through in places. My hope is that, rather than immediately denying and arguing against what I have said, you might sit back and quitely think about what some of these people have offered. Do you see the realities within yourself and your actions? What are your real motivations? Why do you feel the need to expound upon your "200 hours" and "100 multi"? Some of the people offering advice are not only older but also have 30 or 40 times more expereince in a cockpit than you do . . .

Having once been a young, arrogant paddler who grew up and found that I didn't know as much as I thought I did, I'd like to make a futile effort to convince you that you are, indeed, young in age and maturity. You may have a leg up on me in terms of time in an airplane, but, please, recognize that your decision making process, maturity, and grounding in reality still need to grow and develop. Don't be so quick to argue that you're right. Instead, evaluate the situation, take into account all of the information (even if it contradicts what you believe to be truth), and reflect on what has presented itself.

In the long run, what people think of you in some on-line forum is irrelevant. Impressing them with time in a turbo-prop when just beginning your teen years is immaterial. What matters is who you become after this forum is lost to the dust of cyber-space. Will you be a mature, humble person who listens to advice and re-evaluates situations when new information becomes available? Or will you stand by your decisions even when they may well be wrong and you have been counciled by others who are more knowledgeable? Confidence and foolish stubbornness are two very different things. One will help you, the other will not.

See you in the skies.

Best,

PhotoPilot

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

On another message boards he stated that he couldnt figure out why people where telling him he wasnt a pilot, when he flew bigger planes than they did. What a joke.

SEEEEEEeya
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You read the post wrong over there you [expletive deleted]. It said that I didn't like how other pilots were making fun of me because I wasn't a pilot.

Back