250 knots below 10,000

Even a heavier MD-90 has a clean speed above 250.

When SLC changed the departure procedure speed restrictions because the CRJ's loved to fly below 250 in initial, it was havoc. Nothing like an extended climb burning gas with the slats out because they didn't sequence departure traffic appropriately (IMHO).

#Air Line problems.

:)

Has anyone heard of anyone being caught (even by ATC) and if so, how much was their pee-pee slapped?

I asked a friend who's a TRACON controller if they monitored 250 kt busts and he laughed, saying "We don't care. If we need a speed we assign it. Otherwise, we don't care." He added that the only pilot bust he's ever heard of was with a Fed in the jumpseat.

What he said. The 7110.65 specifically says ATC cannot do so.
For those interested, I was:

3−1−11. SURFACE AREA RESTRICTIONS a. If traffic conditions permit, approve a pilot’s request to cross Class C or Class D surface areas or exceed the Class C or Class D airspace speed limit. Do not, however, approve a speed in excess of 250 knots (288 mph) unless the pilot informs you a higher minimum speed is required. NOTE− 14 CFR Section 91.117 permits speeds in excess of 250 knots (288 mph) when so required or recommended in the airplane flight manual or required by normal military operating procedures. REFERENCE− FAAO JO 7110.65, Para 2−1−16, Surface Areas.

-www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/ATC.pdf

Yeah, air traffic can't waive requirements of the FARs. Even if you bust a regulation because ATC told you to, you could still be held accountable. See also: VFR flying an ATC assigned vector into Bravo airspace without receiving a Bravo clearance.

It's a crummy situation, sure. But rules are rules. You probably won't get caught.

Last edited:
I get asked a lot by the foreign air carrier heavies for "high speed climb", standard response is "Speed your discretion."

IE: didn't say you could, don't care if you do.

Back