2023 Christmas Meltdown competition entries…

Remember, a significant number of people senior to you won’t take the time to learn the system properly, or even at all.
This was one of the biggest surprises to me at the regional. I started getting things I wanted - not just a line but a line with weekends off and not-crappy report times and it was largely due to senior pilots not knowing how to bid.

Airline deadhead this morning: first leg 40 minutes early, second leg 30 minutes early. Between that and New York Center actually talking to me instead of the usual scenic tour of upstate to avoid their airspace this was not how I expected my trip to go.

Remember, a significant number of people senior to you won’t take the time to learn the system properly, or even at all.

We have 3 practice / mock rounds of PBS in Feb/Mar before bidding goes live for April to obtain the May schedule.

If you do

1 round - 2 hrs pay
2 round - 5 hrs pay
3 round - 10 hrs pay

I think we’ll see 99% participation for the money, with the occasional guy who just forgot to bid.

We have 3 practice / mock rounds of PBS in Feb/Mar before bidding goes live for April to obtain the May schedule.

If you do

1 round - 2 hrs pay
2 round - 5 hrs pay
3 round - 10 hrs pay

I think we’ll see 99% participation for the money, with the occasional guy who just forgot to bid.
You have quite the benevolent management. 10 hours pay to play PBS 3 times? For like 30 mins work max?

This was one of the biggest surprises to me at the regional. I started getting things I wanted - not just a line but a line with weekends off and not-crappy report times and it was largely due to senior pilots not knowing how to bid.

When I was new at that regional I got lines several months in a row while people senior to me got reserve for that reason.

There is only one PBS strategy, you bid for what you want and PBS gives you what they need.
The thing is, AOS was particularly noxious owing to the manner in which it determined, and then awarded, coverage dates.

It's possible to have a far better 'experience' with PBS. Two of the properties I've worked at thus far have been so.

The thing is, AOS was particularly noxious owing to the manner in which it determined, and then awarded, coverage dates.

It's possible to have a far better 'experience' with PBS. Two of the properties I've worked at thus far have been so.
With line bidding I pretty much know exactly what I'm bidding for and exactly why I didn't get it.

PBS was like "Your bid goes in here and magic happens and your tears go here"

With line bidding I pretty much know exactly what I'm bidding for and exactly why I didn't get it.

PBS was like "Your bid goes in here and magic happens and your tears go here"

Tell me you haven’t used PBS without telling me you haven’t used PBS.

And if you have used it and still make that statement, you’re one of those who didn’t know the logic and how to bid correctly/properly for the situation.

And if you have used it and still make that statement, you’re one of those who didn’t know the logic and how to bid correctly/properly for the situation.

I got pretty good at it. And of course if you're senior you might think you're really good at when in reality it's just easy mode.

Top 10 - 15% got largely what they wanted, middle 60% got ass-kickings, bottom remainder got all the stuff the middle 60% wanted but couldnt get because of the ass-kickings.

Some hyperbole, perhaps, but I'm a hard no on PBS for the rest of my career thanks. There are other plusses too.

Why, pray tell, do you imagine that companies are so desperate to get PBS? Perhaps it's because they have been visited by the Ghost of Christmas Future and want to help Tiny Tim? The other possibility doesn't bear thinking about, does it!? No, that's the only logical conclusion.

Back