2023 Christmas Meltdown competition entries…

I got pretty good at it. And of course if you're senior you might think you're really good at when in reality it's just easy mode.

Top 10 - 15% got largely what they wanted, middle 60% got ass-kickings, bottom remainder got all the stuff the middle 60% wanted but couldnt get because of the ass-kickings.

Some hyperbole, perhaps, but I'm a hard no on PBS for the rest of my career thanks. There are other plusses too.

Middle 60% got ass kickings and only top 15% got what they wanted? You don’t know how to use PBS. No offense.

Safe to say it sounds like you’re at SWA, FDX, or UPS.

Eh. *Checks CPIL*, nope, UPS still doesn't have PBS. Is this how you do your famous accident analysis? It's all starting to make sense.

Um, reading comphrension fail?

I said safe to say at those 3 places, because those 3 places have line bidding, as opposed to PBS. Hence the anti-PBS take that was coming off those posts, as in said individual is at one of those places and doesn’t use PBS.

I got pretty good at it. And of course if you're senior you might think you're really good at when in reality it's just easy mode.

Top 10 - 15% got largely what they wanted, middle 60% got ass-kickings, bottom remainder got all the stuff the middle 60% wanted but couldnt get because of the ass-kickings.

Some hyperbole, perhaps, but I'm a hard no on PBS for the rest of my career thanks. There are other plusses too.
Sounds like the same thing as line bidding but with less steps. Imagine having line bidding but none of the scheduling protection and you have to fix the problems yourself. And while on reserve you can pick a couple of days off you want at best. Junior pilots are going to get scraps, but with PBS at least they will have a shot at getting the days off the want. I’m cautiously optimistic about getting PBS, but it’s possible I could be wrong and it’ll be a giant fluster cluck.

Sounds like the same thing as line bidding but with less steps. Imagine having line bidding but none of the scheduling protection and you have to fix the problems yourself. And while on reserve you can pick a couple of days off you want at best. Junior pilots are going to get scraps, but with PBS at least they will have a shot at getting the days off the want. I’m cautiously optimistic about getting PBS, but it’s possible I could be wrong and it’ll be a giant fluster cluck.

Good luck :)

I'll be glad to not manually parse 450+ lines just to give my best effort at getting a single weekend off anymore
I’m one of the few who misses the simplicity of bidding with PBS, especially if you knew how to use it. Thankfully being in a small base and “Bidpro” helps with looking through the lines. As someone else said, Brown and PBS will probably never mesh. We have A LOT of other stuff to work on before PBS even logs on to enter the chat.

i barely know anything about this 121 thing but it seems I’ve read on here multiple times that the experience with PBS entirely depends on your company/union’s rules and staffing levels. I’m hopeful that both will be better than Skywest which seems to be the epicenter of the complaints.

/gamer[ragequit]/gamer
I was literally originally going to write rage quit.

Sadly I imagine anyone in a financial position to punch out early already did during Covid, so instead we’ll just have the double whammy of angry about merger/angry about PBS

i barely know anything about this 121 thing but it seems I’ve read on here multiple times that the experience with PBS entirely depends on your company/union’s rules and staffing levels. I’m hopeful that both will be better than Skywest which seems to be the epicenter of the complaints.
This is true! I always heard that ASA (do kids even know what ASA was?) had some of the best language in relation to PBS.

We have 3 practice / mock rounds of PBS in Feb/Mar before bidding goes live for April to obtain the May schedule.

If you do

1 round - 2 hrs pay
2 round - 5 hrs pay
3 round - 10 hrs pay

I think we’ll see 99% participation for the money, with the occasional guy who just forgot to bid.

Did they say something about how if you don't do the first, you don't get paid for the others? Asking for a friend

I have nothing against PBS.....have no frame of reference for it, other than a little over a year of line bidding, and generally not knowing what I was doing with that either. I imagine it will have plusses, and I imagine the old guys who hate the idea have valid complaints (vacation and carryover conflicts being the major ones I think?). But I will say that I'm gonna miss the 3rd step free for all. You could really polish a turd with that, at least if you weren't airborne for the first 5-6 hrs of it.

Why, pray tell, do you imagine that companies are so desperate to get PBS? Perhaps it's because they have been visited by the Ghost of Christmas Future and want to help Tiny Tim? The other possibility doesn't bear thinking about, does it!? No, that's the only logical conclusion.

It does, in a broader "why has the industry turned to this method?" sense, remind me of when the US military eliminated the traditional pension in favor of the current "Blended Retirement System". It sounds hot, everyone gets employer matched 401K like contributions, etc etc. But there is no pension at the finish line. We all, even those of us who wouldn't be forced into it, got briefs on the program and the details. I remember the cynical guy who gave ours. Literally the only thing I remember from his entire hour brief was "let's be clear, the military isn't doing this for any reason other than to save money". I think it might be a little more nuanced than that, since it could theoretically help retention amongst folks who weren't gonna make a career anyway, but for those of us who are, this was spot on. Not saying PBS is the same thing, but there is a reason it was invented, and there is a reason everyone does it. I'm just not quite smart enough about all of this to know what those reasons are. Probably getting more bang for your buck out of pilots though, I'd guess, at least at the basic level, before work rules/MEC specific demands improve or worsen the calculus.

Did they say something about how if you don't do the first, you don't get paid for the others? Asking for a friend

I have nothing against PBS.....have no frame of reference for it, other than a little over a year of line bidding, and generally not knowing what I was doing with that either. I imagine it will have plusses, and I imagine the old guys who hate the idea have valid complaints (vacation and carryover conflicts being the major ones I think?). But I will say that I'm gonna miss the 3rd step free for all. You could really polish a turd with that, at least if you weren't airborne for the first 5-6 hrs of it.

I agree, with 3rd step here now, I don't want PBS anymore LOL

Not sure about your question. I imagine it's paid based on how many rounds you do. IMO this shouldn't be a factor. Just put literally one line (avoid 3 day trips!) and that counts as a bid.

It does, in a broader "why has the industry turned to this method?" sense, remind me of when the US military eliminated the traditional pension in favor of the current "Blended Retirement System". It sounds hot, everyone gets employer matched 401K like contributions, etc etc. But there is no pension at the finish line. We all, even those of us who wouldn't be forced into it, got briefs on the program and the details. I remember the cynical guy who gave ours. Literally the only thing I remember from his entire hour brief was "let's be clear, the military isn't doing this for any reason other than to save money". I think it might be a little more nuanced than that, since it could theoretically help retention amongst folks who weren't gonna make a career anyway, but for those of us who are, this was spot on. Not saying PBS is the same thing, but there is a reason it was invented, and there is a reason everyone does it. I'm just not quite smart enough about all of this to know what those reasons are. Probably getting more bang for your buck out of pilots though, I'd guess, at least at the basic level, before work rules/MEC specific demands improve or worsen the calculus.
I wish I could have tried 3rd step before it’s gone, but flying dropped off a cliff after October. At least reserve has been pretty chill.

Southwest coming in hot at number 1 on the CX list... thank you MDW for that...

KMDW 240253Z 00000KT 1/4SM R31C/1800V2000FT FG VV002 09/08 A3018 RMK AO2 SLP223 T00890083 51005=

Yikes

9995ce31d5666816a1e15bd0ea5b8090.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Who would've guessed that building a fortress hub in a tiny little airport surrounded by brick walls in the middle of a neighborhood might present some challenges?

Back