2023 Christmas Meltdown competition entries…

Yeah, sorry. Work rules do not allow the ability to pick up flying during paid vacation. I know that isn't standard everywhere, but it protects us from ourselves and creates more jobs.
Sounds like it stops dbags from taking the highly coveted vacation days and then squandering them by pick up flying while on said vacation.

Another part of me, the hopeful part, is waiting to see that if having a workforce where 30% have been hired in the last 2 years, almost entirely millennials, is going to turn its back on picking up the money in favor of quality time.

Buddy of mine recently asked me what was the thing that I was most nervous about upgrading, I told him it was flying with some new hire that wants to grill me about picking up open time and making premium pay. I mean, I know it has something to do with colored paper and the spinning of magnetic tape reels on the IBM mainframes in the dungeons on Virginia Ave but beyond that...

Flew with a guy a while back who told me he's flown a total of 3 green slips in over 15 years. I told him my goal was zero by the time I retire. In my phone I have a picture of my couch. Whenever I get the itch to look at open time and work on a day off, I just look at that photo. The couch always wins.

Buddy of mine recently asked me what was the thing that I was most nervous about upgrading, I told him it was flying with some new hire that wants to grill me about picking up open time and making premium pay. I mean, I know it has something to do with colored paper and the spinning of magnetic tape reels on the IBM mainframes in the dungeons on Virginia Ave but beyond that...

Flew with a guy a while back who told me he's flown a total of 3 green slips in over 15 years. I told him my goal was zero by the time I retire. In my phone I have a picture of my couch. Whenever I get the itch to look at open time and work on a day off, I just look at that photo. The couch always wins.
If I lived in base I'd probably do it because I get bored often enough, but as a commuter? No way, I'll take being bored and finding something to do at home. I think in 8 years and half as many airlines I've never flown a single premium pay trip on a day off at any of them.

I love meeting people who don’t define success as getting more money. I’ve had a real awakening in the past few years of watching bright shining examples of people who will never be happy even though they proudly dash themselves upon the rocks of premium pay.

That said, always scratch my head when I fly with someone who says they normally fly about an 80-85 hour month completely at straight pay. Like, my man, that’s very honest work but it’s way too much of it. For my part, our reserve work rules allow for the real possibility of making way more money for generally the exact same amount of work. That’s the kind of premium time flying I can and do get behind.

60e5d37e709b3621976075c6c9333bd8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am in the middle of getting to CVG through DFW and the terminals haven't been bad.

I had to park in remote parking at AVL so I was prepared for the worst. Literally zero wait at security. They actually had to wait for me because I didn’t have my ID out since I was expecting to have plenty of time.

One of the trainers at the gym said "Wow, it's going ot be the busiest travel day today!"

When I said "Someone generally says that most Thanksgivings, Christmases and Labor Day weekends on the news" he looked confused.

So apparently Buffalo fires the first volley in the meltdown contest….

I read an article that pre-pandemic, day before Thanksgiving (Wednesday) and that Sunday a few days later are the busiest travel days for flying. But since the pandemic with many more WFH options, people have been spreading out their travel. Notably, people leaving the weekend before, and just working M-T-W at their destination. And combinations of leaving Monday or Tuesday.

So I'm not surprised to see "Wednesday doesn't look that bad!"

So apparently Buffalo fires the first volley in the meltdown contest….

This is stupid. I can understand closing Peace Bridge at the Buffalo crossing. But closing BUF airport itself? Unless they received threats of MANPADs that have made it across Canada, it's a stupid move to shut down BUF.

This is stupid. I can understand closing Peace Bridge at the Buffalo crossing. But closing BUF airport itself? Unless they received threats of MANPADs that have made it across Canada, it's a stupid move to shut down BUF.

I don't know. Plus the car came from the US side. I wonder what kind of nuttery is in that guys browser history.

It was busy today but nothing earth shattering. It honestly felt like a normal Thursday from the Before Times. I know they say air travel has caught up to 2019 levels but it sure doesn’t seem that way to me.

Then why did we have to hold over ARD? LOL

Agree though, left for the sEWeR early expecting worse than normal traffic, it was less than normal. The terminal was no busier than usual at 7 AM. (and we only did a couple turns...)

Back