200 Furloughs for Republic/CVG and CRP close.

I love the 10 FAQs on the company website. Didnt answer crap other than how many peeps on the street, yet still no mention of who. I would not be surprised if it was by airframe and not seniority

3. How many pilots will be furloughed?

We expect to furlough approximately 200 pilots, depending on attrition.

4. How many captains will be downgraded to first officers?

Approximately 100.

Oh man....I feel sick to my stomach! Can't say I didn't see this coming, but it just seems like this is happening really fast and our Union just doesn't care because it doesn't concern them, since us 200 pilots are all 1st year guys.

I'm supposed to fly this week and its going to be hard....

I heard that more aggressive COLAs are going to be suggested from our end tomorrow, with min guarantee down to 75. Doubt the company will bite very hard but we need to try, right?

I know we're doing
- 75 Hour as a normal line
- Special 40 hr lines
- 4 month (maybe longer as well) COLAs
- Early out retirement packages
- The Euro Flying thing...

You guys should be able to bring that number down and save a few more jobs.

With repect to the 40 hr lines....

I'm not sure. I don't want to spread misinformation but I think 40hrs would be the "guarantee." I know of plenty of pilots who would take advantage of this.

Our FAs do "job shares" where they and another flight attendant basically share a line. There are only a small number available but they are usually sought after because you keep all your benefits, have a lot of time off but bring home less $.

...our Union just doesn't care because it doesn't concern them, since us 200 pilots are all 1st year guys...

I'm sincerely sorry this affects you. However, that's not a fair statement.

The Teamsters have many, many faults, but saying you don't count on probation is wrong.

I personally know all the guys on the MEC, and they're good guys. Again, they, like everyone, have faults. Leaving the "probies" in the dust isn't one of them.

After 9/11, we went through a similar scenario. The company fired the probies out of seniority since they wanted to send the SF3s to the S5 certificate (as it was owned by Wex-daddy). Many of those fired were called, oddly enough, right away by S5 and offered positions.

The union fought to keep strict seniority rules, going as far as taking the issue to a court of law. Unfortunately, the court upheld the company's maneuver.

I hope things work out for you, and all the pilots being tossed aside in this ridiculous situation.

I know we're doing
- 75 Hour as a normal line
- Special 40 hr lines
- 4 month (maybe longer as well) COLAs
- Early out retirement packages
- The Euro Flying thing...

You guys should be able to bring that number down and save a few more jobs.

Wow.......you couldn't be farther from the truth. XJET will not be reducing line values to 75 hour lines.....nice try at a rumor though.

And the Euro thing is open to ALL pilots.....it is NOT XJET only.....the ONLY involvement that XJET has with this is they are allowing you to taje the job and come back.....you are competing with everyone and there brother for this.....My buddies at eagle have the same announcement for the Flybe flying

I'm sincerely sorry this affects you. However, that's not a fair statement.

The Teamsters have many, many faults, but saying you don't count on probation is wrong.

I personally know all the guys on the MEC, and they're good guys. Again, they, like everyone, have faults. Leaving the "probies" in the dust isn't one of them.

After 9/11, we went through a similar scenario. The company fired the probies out of seniority since they wanted to send the SF3s to the S5 certificate (as it was owned by Wex-daddy). Many of those fired were called, oddly enough, right away by S5 and offered positions.

The union fought to keep strict seniority rules, going as far as taking the issue to a court of law. Unfortunately, the court upheld the company's maneuver.

I hope things work out for you, and all the pilots being tossed aside in this ridiculous situation.

I hear you. But its funny that the Union has said nothing about this furlough. Nothing....we're all in the dark. Left with a letter from Bedford, a stupid FAQ and nothing but rumor and hearsay. I figured at the VERY least, our Union would send out some sort of letter...anything. Ridiculous....

I hear you. But its funny that the Union has said nothing about this furlough. Nothing....we're all in the dark. Left with a letter from Bedford, a stupid FAQ and nothing but rumor and hearsay. I figured at the VERY least, our Union would send out some sort of letter...anything. Ridiculous....

I found out the hard way. Wait and see before saying statements like this. The company just announced this Friday late. Also Saturday on the website. Give your Union time to react. As most of them probably were spending either time away from work with family this weekend or possibly on the road. Cannot really respond all that quickly to things like this. Many facts they probably want to get cleared before they release a statement to you all.

According to Flybe's website, the direct entry CA stuff is open to anyone in a comparable class of aircraft. My question is do they sponsor you for a work visa? If they don't, it's damn hard to get one, and they say you need to have the rights to work in the UK. I'd be insanely interested in this one if I could get the right to work there.

Well, suppose the CO dropped this news to everyone at the same time. The IBT doesn't have the infrastructure to disseminate the info. I know, I lived it for 9 years. Poor communications and all.

This is a very serious subject affecting the livelyhoods of many. Do you want a knee-jerk, and possibly incorrect, reaction from your represenitives? Or would you prefer for them to take a minute, process the information, then try to go to the company with a proposal to save jobs?

With the rapid dissemination of information of the internet, it's easy to get all stirred up on the internet. What that does is lets MGT put pressure on the union via the pilot group. When I was in the thick of it, I didn't see alot of that. Now that I stepped back, I see it for what it is. Subverting the unity of the pilots.

I'm really sorry that this is happening. I'm at the bottom of a seniority list too. I realize everyday MIGHT be my last day at this airline too.

I hope the best for you and everyone at my former airline. I know you're on pins-and-needles too. It's a scary time for everyone, but panic won't fix it. The course is set, it's time to let things sort out. Contact your MEC and express your opinions.

The teamsters communication lines suck. I know. But your MEC is a group of dedicated dudes. I've known them for years. I didn't always agree with them, but they're an overworked and underappreciated group of guys. One of my buddies was on the MEC. I didn't realize the crazy amount of time he put into the MEC duties (prolly the vast majority of waking hours) to the point of erasing his life outside the MEC. At home, awake or asleep, on the road awake or asleep, he was dealing with issues.

Best of luck

Dave, keep in mind, not all management (even you're beloved BB) is as labor friendly as places like XJet where they actually WORKED with the union ahead of time to get stuff set. There is all kinds of legal mumbo jumbo that has to be taken care of before the union can make meaningful response. Sure, they could just put out a letter 12 hours later that says "yes we are furloughing" but then everybody on the seniority list is going to be screaming "my union doesn't care and doesn't know anything and isn't doing anything about it". So, they take their time, make an educated response and it goes from there.

And at the end of the day, there may not be anything they can do about. The interesting thing is that over here people were raising hell about the union not doing anything when the company announced they were furloughing (and in fact told the union leadership about it AFTER they told members of the pilot group). So, then the union actually puts a play together (to start an initiative to pay the COBRA portion of the furloughed guys health insurance) and you know which people were some of the most vocal AGAINST it? The ones wondering why the union didn't do anything in the first place.

Don't be *that* guy that complains but then is too busy/doesn't care enough to help out when the time rolls around.

Back