1st world problem??

Just a little thread bump…

Well it’s happening. I’m moving back to the airlines. Only sad part is saying bye to home basing, other than that I’m stoked to be moving on!

Now… living in SAN, should one fly to SFO or drive to LAX?? The beauty is I can trial and error this hopefully, AS runs base bids a few times a year so if one doesn’t work I’ll try the other.
Congratulations!

I would imagine SFO would add some extra costs with occasional hotel rooms, or a crash pad. But there are plenty of things to do while sitting reserve without worrying about how long it will take to get to the airport.

Well it’s happening. I’m moving back to the airlines. Only sad part is saying bye to home basing, other than that I’m stoked to be moving on!

Now… living in SAN, should one fly to SFO or drive to LAX?? The beauty is I can trial and error this hopefully, AS runs base bids a few times a year so if one doesn’t work I’ll try the other.
It's a miserable drive, but with nature healing as it is, San Francisco is going to be back to its normal flow control-constrained self soon if it's not already. So I would drive to LAX given those choices. Having been based in both and having done a long drive to LAX, myself.

Other Bay Area airports may not be as constrained; SAN-OAK or SAN-SJC would be stupid easy and you could connect via BART in the former or CalTrain and the world's dumbest BART transfer for the latter if you had to and if there isn't an "equipment problem" on the M or Y lines. Keep both in mind as options.

I would drive to LAX. It's horrible or not that bad depending on your timing. Leave at noon and it's doable either way if you ask me.

The drive to LAX from SD county will suck.

A crash pad in Santa Monica or Marina del Rey* would make that a lot more palatable.

The commute to SFO should be alright most of the time, provided Carl isn't sitting over the airport and your commute isn't delayed 4 hours.

*stupid autocorrect

Last edited:

Sweet! Welcome aboard!

I recommend getting a crash pad in the ocean. Can get to either base in 2 hrs if you try hard enough

Also I second the welcome!

I’ll probably get a pad in El Segundo, because that way I have both covered by the 2.5 call out. Hopefully when the new reserve rules kick in it will minimize the need for a pad in LAX for me. Hope and reality are two different things tho

Or you could bid LCR and probably stay in SAN.
I’ll probably get a pad in El Segundo, because that way I have both covered by the 2.5 call out. Hopefully when the new reserve rules kick in it will minimize the need for a pad in LAX for me. Hope and reality are two different things tho

LCR sounds like it should be more of a thing than I actually hear about from anyone who works there. What’s the scoop? Asking for reasons
You're on call 24 hours a day for your reserve stretch (usually 4 days). Call out is 14 hours from notification to report.

Or you could bid LCR and probably stay in SAN.

That is the plan until I can hold a line. However as I’ll be at the bottom I’m sure I’ll get SCR until PBS goes live in which I’ll probably get the LCR that is short call convertible. Only 10 percent of reserve lines will need to be non convertible, so I’ll most likely be sitting short call for some time. I just know the 2.5 short call window won’t work for my address, maybe if I was in north county but I’m 35 mins south of that.

LCR sounds like it should be more of a thing than I actually hear about from anyone who works there. What’s the scoop? Asking for reasons

You're on call 24 hours a day for your reserve stretch (usually 4 days). Call out is 14 hours from notification to report.
Long Call Reserve, this is a good destination ⬆️. I’ve only been on LCR for about 3 weeks due to consolidation issues and by some miracle getting an open flying line (secondary line) for June and July so I can’t speak to how LCR works but they typically try and assign known flying to LCRs first and you can also pick up flights the day before. It’s possible you might be able to do it from JNU (I don’t know the daily schedule).
That is the plan until I can hold a line. However as I’ll be at the bottom I’m sure I’ll get SCR until PBS goes live in which I’ll probably get the LCR that is short call convertible. Only 10 percent of reserve lines will need to be non convertible, so I’ll most likely be sitting short call for some time. I just know the 2.5 short call window won’t work for my address, maybe if I was in north county but I’m 35 mins south of that.
You might be surprised, LCR can only be assigned to those who bid for it. Have you been to ground school already? Sounds like SFO is what er’body is getting out of the gate right now with a sprinkling of LAX, but definitely take that with a grain of salt.

We are short FOs so I cant imagine you will be on reserve long. So short call reserve will be very short lived. But I still think you can sit short call from SD. Its so rare that you get a 2.5 hour. And with our current contract, any call out less than 4 hours, you are allowed to Uber.

hopefully it doesn't take you long to hold SNA trips. And fingers crossed for a SAN base at some point.

Long Call Reserve, this is a good destination ⬆️. I’ve only been on LCR for about 3 weeks due to consolidation issues and by some miracle getting an open flying line (secondary line) for June and July so I can’t speak to how LCR works but they typically try and assign known flying to LCRs first and you can also pick up flights the day before. It’s possible you might be able to do it from JNU (I don’t know the daily schedule).

You might be surprised, LCR can only be assigned to those who bid for it. Have you been to ground school already? Sounds like SFO is what er’body is getting out of the gate right now with a sprinkling of LAX, but definitely take that with a grain of salt.
It seems on the face of it that ANC LCR would be the way to go out of JNU, but everybody local just ends up doing SEA so they probably know something I don’t. Maybe just so much easier to get a line out of SEA.

Rumor from one of my FOs who’s starting class is that they weren’t planning on placing new hires anywhere besides CA for the rest of the year, but who knows how accurate that is.

It's a miserable drive, but with nature healing as it is, San Francisco is going to be back to its normal flow control-constrained self soon if it's not already. So I would drive to LAX given those choices. Having been based in both and having done a long drive to LAX, myself.

Other Bay Area airports may not be as constrained; SAN-OAK or SAN-SJC would be stupid easy and you could connect via BART in the former or CalTrain and the world's dumbest BART transfer for the latter if you had to and if there isn't an "equipment problem" on the M or Y lines. Keep both in mind as options.
Also SAN-MRY/STS, both of which have $15-30 bus options that run every so often all day and take you straight to SFO. FAA ATC folks at SFO lived in both locations and took those shuttles all the time, some have frequent user options. If you get stuck going to SFO, that is always an option. These services, like the Monterey Airbus (used them all the time when I didn't want to drive SJC-SFO-SJC twice to take my gf to work), also connect SFO/SJC for half the price or so as well. SJC also has a free bus that leaves every hour (twice an hour during a small window fo the day) to the Santa Clara Caltrain station and another that goes to Milpitas BART. When I fly from SJC and drive myself, I just park in the university housing areas with no overnight restrictions then cross the street to Caltrain and take the free bus to/from the terminal. Just don't get bipped. (Not an issue when your car screams "I'm poor", but otherwise hide your belongings).

Last edited:
Back