1st world problem??

We are short FOs so I cant imagine you will be on reserve long. So short call reserve will be very short lived. But I still think you can sit short call from SD. Its so rare that you get a 2.5 hour. And with our current contract, any call out less than 4 hours, you are allowed to Uber.

hopefully it doesn't take you long to hold SNA trips. And fingers crossed for a SAN base at some point.

If a SAN base ever opens you will have to pinch me daily, because at that point I won’t believe that life can be so good 😂

AS wasn’t my only option on the table, but the fact that there is a tiny possibility of a future SAN base helped scoot me in the direction. I know it’s been a rumor for a while, and will likely continue a rumor for a while. However, I’ll be ready whenever that time comes. I’ll gladly be the plug for years to drive 10 minutes to work

Banking on not getting the minimum call out seems like playing with fire, especially on probation. Maybe I'm just unlucky, but I've always been the guy whose phone rings RIGHT at 0300 or whenever my RAP starts.
From extremely limited experience, traffic going each way really seems to die down after 6:30-7pm, so redeyes/latenight stuff could be an advantage if you have a choice. How long are the RAPs at AS? If they're not 14 hours it seems like driving up somewhere closer and hanging out and doing something during the day could be worth it, bu would get old kind of quick. I know some guys who have an apple watch who go surf, and if their phone rings while they're in the water they'll get it on their watch. Just have to hope nobody swipes your phone from the beach.

It seems on the face of it that ANC LCR would be the way to go out of JNU, but everybody local just ends up doing SEA so they probably know something I don’t. Maybe just so much easier to get a line out of SEA.

Rumor from one of my FOs who’s starting class is that they weren’t planning on placing new hires anywhere besides CA for the rest of the year, but who knows how accurate that is.
They got rid of all the SEA new hire vacancies, so unless they add a ton of vacancies to the next bid everyone is going to SFO/LAX. ANC is tiny compared to SEA. 150 vs 780 FOs, and ~95-100 lines vs ~500 lines (not including open flying lines). ANC is probably only worth it if you really want to do some AK flying outside of the milk runs, ANC, and FAI. If you have questions you can shoot me a message/text, but I’m still a noob and am constantly pestering @ShortField and others with my questions.

Banking on not getting the minimum call out seems like playing with fire, especially on probation. Maybe I'm just unlucky, but I've always been the guy whose phone rings RIGHT at 0300 or whenever my RAP starts.
From extremely limited experience, traffic going each way really seems to die down after 6:30-7pm, so redeyes/latenight stuff could be an advantage if you have a choice. How long are the RAPs at AS? If they're not 14 hours it seems like driving up somewhere closer and hanging out and doing something during the day could be worth it, bu would get old kind of quick. I know some guys who have an apple watch who go surf, and if their phone rings while they're in the water they'll get it on their watch. Just have to hope nobody swipes your phone from the beach.

Yeah I want this to my be my forever job, so I won’t be playing with fire. If based in LAX at least I’ll have my car at the pad and can do stuff up there while on reserve. I have an inflatable paddle board so I see a lot of Marina Del Rey paddling in my future lol. Life could definitely be worse.

Last edited:
Yeah I want this to my be my forever job, so I won’t be playing with fire. If based in LAX at least I’ll have my car at the pad and can do stuff up there while on reserve. I have an inflatable paddle board so I see a lot of Marina Del Rey paddling in my future lol. Life could definitely be worse.
And even crashpadding it, nothing like a short-ish drive home at the end of a reserve block.

Like others have said in this thread, the “Socal way” seems to be to accept the fact that you can’t get in or out of LA in the morning, lunch time or afternoon (so basically all day) - so just stay put, find something cool to do until the evening and then enjoy the much more relaxing drive home. Like Jordan said redeyes would probably be an advantage. Definitely seems like there are worse things then paddle boarding around Marina Del Rey. :D

And even crashpadding it, nothing like a short-ish drive home at the end of a reserve block.

The way I read the new reserve rules that will take place once PBS is established is that short call conversions happen once on LCR. From that point it’s 14 hours minimum until the start of the SCR rap. Not sure if they can multi day RAP assign you or not, or if each 12 hour rap is individually considered a conversion. If the latter is true, do they have to give you another 14 hours from the 12 hours after the rap before you’re next SCR rap? If so, the pad won’t be needed but one or two nights in let’s say a 4 day block. I could be reading and comprehending it wrong though, something I do often

Last edited:
The way I read the new reserve rules that will take place once PBS is established is that short call conversions happen once on LCR. From that point it’s 14 hours minimum until the start of the SCR rap. Not sure if they can multi day RAP assign you or not, or if each 12 hour rap is individually considered a conversion. If the latter is true, do they have to give you another 14 hours from the 12 hours after the rap before you’re next SCR rap? If so, the pad won’t be needed but one or two nights in let’s say a 4 day block. I could be reading and comprehending it wrong though, something I do often

At the BeeSix, which I believe the system is modeled after... once converted, it's min rest between SCR shifts. And they can convert you for multiple, single, or whatever they want. We have to screen shot our conversions because they might drop off once assigned a trip on SCR and at least in our working agreement, we get a cool Benjamin for each conversion. (Which the intent was to pay for the hotel or pad... but how many Franklin's does a hotel cost in the new world these days?)

Another thing to think about from earlier is where does the 'sitting reserve' position count... is it traffic dependent or not? We have pilots that live down south on the edge of the callout. Heck, I'm only 49 mi away from LAX and thanks to the 101/405 there are two times of the day when it's the wild west. At least, it's something to consider once off probation. And you can push back.

Also, when sitting RSV in LAX... you have to take account the 30 min West Lot----->Terminal X journey on the bus. (Getting yelled at by the driver about 30% of the time is a bonus.)

I must be a weirdo. I live in a hub but choose to commute to a widebody over flying narrowbody trips.

I must be a weirdo. I live in a hub but choose to commute to a widebody over flying narrowbody trips.
While not a thing at Alaska, I feel like people fundamentally misunderstand this. By focusing only on a domicile, you can simultaneously improve your QOL but severely limit your career trajectory. Just thoughts of a guy considering “stuff.”

Heck, I'm only 49 mi away from LAX and thanks to the 101/405 there are two times of the day when it's the wild west. At least, it's something to consider once off probation. And you can push back.
There were a few adrenaline-inducing calls back on the EM2.

Yeah, this is an F-around, find out topic on or off probation. While "bolts from the blue" are rare, I've had quite a few of them in my career and it's influenced how I sit reserve...which is responsibly and STRICTLY within the four corners of the CBA/PWA. I had an acquaintance who sat Brasilia short call from SAN and got called into the office because the airplane he was on was supposed to park at the gate of the airplane he was to operate. It might have been "fine," but it was really pushing it.

There were a few 747 pilots who, er, found out in the latter days of that airplane—sitting short call, which is a "promptly available" proposition, from half a world away, as an example. It's just a dumb way to get disciplined. "Here is your KCM login at SAN, date and timestamped; here is your PJS listing, also date and timestamped. And this is when your PNR was activated, and this was when you boarded, and this is when the flight blocked out, and this is when it was off..."

While not a thing at Alaska, I feel like people fundamentally misunderstand this. By focusing only on a domicile, you can simultaneously improve your QOL but severely limit your career trajectory. Just thoughts of a guy considering “stuff.”
Can’t suggest it for everyone and I don’t plan on doing this for my whole career. But I am miles happier flying what I am flying vs what I could just to drive to work. I’m not a big overtime guy, I just fly my line and plan on my days off. But the commute is not a headache at all in my mind for the overall QOL and happiness boost I get from work trips.

No, no he's not...NB trips are significantly tougher than WB trips. But since you check our schedules, I assumed you knew this bit of information already.

I’ve lost that ability since the guy left EDV to mothership. He’s deathly scared that he’d be fired from Delta if he gives the password. I said no worries dude, your job comes first.

Down side is no TravelNet for loads. And for whatever reason - and I assume the fear of getting fired from Delta - it seems that StaffTraveler load requests on Delta are the worst response rate - if lucky at all.

United and American, I get an answer within 2 minutes. Delta? Can take hours (or days), and even within 4-5 hrs of departure, nada. I’ve even gone beyond departure time and get a message “your credit has been refunded due to no answer.”

Man, mothership Delta has you people on complete lockdown. Yeah yeah, it’s proprietary info but we’re only trying to see if we can get on. And literally no other airline seems to have this issue, and we’re all under the same rules of not giving out proprietary info.

Be a team player and answer the loads. :)
That said, I know guys at AS who have given their AS pwd to a Delta buddy in exchange for the Delta pwd for TravelNet. Mutual commuters helping each other out.

this is a F-around, find out kind of topic on probation. hell, even OFF probation.

My first trip on reserve was an exactly on the nose 2.5 hour call. All other trips have been 2.5 hour on the nose call outs.

For July I’m forced onto red eye reserve. Just an FYI for those considering Eskimo Airways. AM short call was jr when I decided to bid for CA. At least in SEA. 3rd step changed all that and now all that’s left in open time are red eyes. So that’s the new JR reserve call out. Could be base specific since 30% of SEA lines are red eyes and it’s still pretty much the JR base.

In terms of a commute I’d plan for the worst an hope for the best. It’s going to be a long summer just judging by how things look in the terminal. I wouldn’t want to be out of position when I was called in. Who knows though we can’t really afford to let any FOs go but I’ve heard about it happening even though we are short. Wouldn’t wasn’t to find out but I’m risk adverse. At least at work I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me: I commute to a WB schedule, I am really happy and enjoy it

Local JC angry man: YOU’RE NUTS! Shiny widebody syndrome
*flies 737 for his entire career*

Maybe you need some self reflection to make yourself happy. :)

I’ve commuted and driven to base. I’d much rather drive to base to fly a Pterodactyl than commute to fly a widebody with caviar.

Covid made me thankful for domestic. You can have at it.

To each his own.

Back