No Email? Pubnat 2? Information to Record + Possible Reasons

ATCproMatt

Yeah, so I didn't get selected as far as I know (no email received).

The point of this is to leave a record of information for people who didn't get selected, like their AT-SAT score, geo prefs, backgroudn(flight, OTS, CIT, etc) etc, etc.

Also, anyone who was selected for a location OTHER than what they put completely(like I see a few were selected for Tennessee) feel free to input as well.

Okay, I scored a Well-Qualified 97 on my AT-SAT. I had all the perfect requirements fulfilled and whatnot for an OTS applicant(all required work ability and so on) and I'm 100% positive I would pass any medical/psych tests, etc. No health conditions, perfect fitness, no family medical issues, etc.
My geo prefs were FL & HI. (Awfully picky I know)
I was Terminal only.
I live in FL, I also listed in the comments section that I would be open to several other locations throughout the US as long as it was some semi-major city such as New York, Chicago, Vegas, LA, Atlanta, etc(listed a few more).

So there ya go.

On a personal rant note, I don't see why I wasn't offered something else anywhere (like Tennessee for example) or why I wasn't given FL(I saw someone else was given a MIA location). Anyhow, any other input would be appreciated.

Not Selected:
AT-SAT=97, Geo Prefs=FL & HI, Terminal Only.

Re: No Email? Pubnat 2? Information to Record + Possible Rea

93.7%

OH & MI

Terminal / Center

OTS with some CTI (passed my CTO)

Still hoping for something Tuesday. Sure wish we knew if they were done or not :(

Hello,
I feel they weigh the AT-SAT score way too heavily when selecting canidates.
I was in the "qualified" group, however, my background includes a Bachelors from ERAU, 9 years of flying experience, over 3000 hours of flight time, 1st class medical and operating in the IFR environment on a daily basis.
I don't get how they can chose an office manager, factory worker etc. who doesn't know the difference between an ILS approach and a VOR approach?

Ken

Hello,
I feel they weigh the AT-SAT score way too heavily when selecting canidates.
I was in the "qualified" group, however, my background includes a Bachelors from ERAU, 9 years of flying experience, over 3000 hours of flight time, 1st class medical and operating in the IFR environment on a daily basis.
I don't get how they can chose an office manager, factory worker etc. who doesn't know the difference between an ILS approach and a VOR approach?

Ken

I guess flying a plane isn't the same as controlling one. If you have what it takes to be a great controller then you would have been well qualified. I'm not trying to be mean, but being able to fly doesn't give you an advantage when it comes to controlling.

I guess flying a plane isn't the same as controlling one. If you have what it takes to be a great controller then you would have been well qualified. I'm not trying to be mean, but being able to fly doesn't give you an advantage when it comes to controlling.

:yup:

I concur.
If you really wanted it you would have scored really well on the AT-SAT.

However, for the sake of this beneficial process, let's keep it to how our selective factors(at-sat, geo prefs) stopped us from getting selected.

I currently do not see why I was not selected with a high score (97) and my locations+comments.
I only say that because of 1 person getting a florida location (meaning they would have to score MORE than a 97 on the at-sat) and several people getting selected for locations they did not select (which I would have been fine with).

I think that's absolute bull. I'd use the full word there if it weren't for stickler word-filters.

If you think that a measly test on dumping colored letters into boxes, and working with a poorly-designed ATC scenario that only updates every 7 seconds is indicative of how good of a controller you'll be, then you need a few classes in mathematical statistics, sociology of human intelligence, human development, etc. Do you know why IQ tests are not indicative of intelligence? SAT/ACTs?

I will agree that if you failed this test, or did extremely poorly on it, that you might want to consider your line of work, but using it as a performance guideline is just plain inaccurate. People on here just like to snob around with their 97s, which they probably didn't even really acquire...but onto more important issues.

Remember this, folks, you train for 12-16 weeks in OKC for a reason, not because you are God's gift to the FAA the second you input your answer to some insipid analogy on a test.

If you analyze the AT-SAT you will realize that it really only tests your aptitude to learn and adapt quickly, and your ability to work within certain constraints. Of course, it tests this within the opinions of a group of people in OKC who deemed it so.

It's only one factor of many when you are considered for this job. I have met a multitude of "qualified" applicants working at extremely difficult facilities (incl. level 12 ones). They seemed to be doing just fine. Don't believe me? Ask around. Go visit some facilities and ask people their scores. You will be as shocked as I was.

This announcement may have well been different from others in that no "qualified" applicants were considered, but I wonder how many of them did all of the right things, and spoke to all of the right people, and I wonder how badly many of them really wanted it.

I concur.
If you really wanted it you would have scored really well on the AT-SAT.

However, for the sake of this beneficial process, let's keep it to how our selective factors(at-sat, geo prefs) stopped us from getting selected.

I currently do not see why I was not selected with a high score (97) and my locations+comments.
I only say that because of 1 person getting a florida location (meaning they would have to score MORE than a 97 on the at-sat) and several people getting selected for locations they did not select (which I would have been fine with).

What kind of a work and academic history do you have?

If I were an employer, I'd take someone with 8 years of supervisor work and a 4.0GPA over someone who just scored well on a test. That's not enough.

Ammolite, why are you ranting? Did you not do well on the test? I personally don't think that doing well on the test means you will be a good controller, but I feel that doing poorly on the test may indicate a bigger problem.

Since when do IQ tests not represent intelligence? Did you score poorly on one of those too?

From what I can tell bipoptl was just defending from an attack by someone, however well qualified they may be, who was lashing out because they think they were not selected. I say think because noone really knows if the e-mails are through or not.

I don't mean to come off snobby but it is interesting to me how you came into this conversation guns blazing for no apparent reason. It makes me think there are other issues involved...

I agree, but it looked like there were a few picked up for TX. I would not be surprised at all if another round of e-mails comes early next week.

Why Torture Yourselves!!!

Seriously, Who cares what you had on your application and what your at-sat score was! If you didn't make the cut...then there must be a reason.

Seeing someones at-sat in their signature doesn't tell you squat.
Maybe they had military service. Maybe they had a college degree. Maybe they worked in a factory. Maybe they never worked a day in their life. My point is...you don't know. Getting upset doesn't help your case. However, I empathize.
:panic:

Ammolite, why are you ranting? Did you not do well on the test? I personally don't think that doing well on the test means you will be a good controller, but I feel that doing poorly on the test may indicate a bigger problem.

Since when do IQ tests not represent intelligence? Did you score poorly on one of those too?

From what I can tell bipoptl was just defending from an attack by someone, however well qualified they may be, who was lashing out because they think they were not selected. I say think because noone really knows if the e-mails are through or not.

I don't mean to come off snobby but it is interesting to me how you came into this conversation guns blazing for no apparent reason. It makes me think there are other issues involved...

You do mean to come off as snobby. Take accountability. I rant, because I was given a mind, and a mouth, and the inability to shut either one when everyone wants me to. I'm aware of how my prior post makes me look, but I just cannot get beyond the ignorance of some responses which make such broad-sweeping statements. I work as a scientist, so I naturally abhor such sentiments.

I think of all of those JC members who are reading it and believing it. A career is a huge counterpart of someone's life, especially one of this magnitude. Some people take this forum very seriously - myself included. I have an iron resolve and am tenacious as Hell and highwater, so I'd personally never veer off this track, but many people are waivering. Many people will read that and feel discouraged in themselves that they didn't do as well as they "should've", and feel that the situation is hopeless, when it isn't. In the end, it's really just some kid's opinion.
I give myself Hell over a few lousy points, and I'd hate to see others do the same. Maybe I'm too empathetic, but I always try to remember that you never really know what kind of misery someone is acquainted with, or what joy a job could bring someone.

As far as I know, no one was born being a controller, myself included. That's why I want to go to the Academy to learn. I did not receive a 100, and I'm glad that I didn't......because I am brimming with egotism, as is.

And as far as my own IQ goes, my results are exactly the reason why I do not trust the test in general. Because, if accurate, I should be conquering the Western continent, and routing out malignant auto-immune diseases, and here I am, trying to work for the Federal government. :laff:

You do mean to come off as snobby. Take accountability. I rant, because I was given a mind, and a mouth, and the inability to shut either one when everyone wants me to. I'm aware of how my prior post makes me look, but I just cannot get beyond the ignorance of some responses which make such broad-sweeping statements. I work as a scientist, so I naturally abhor such sentiments.

I think of all of those JC members who are reading it and believing it. A career is a huge counterpart of someone's life, especially one of this magnitude. Some people take this forum very seriously - myself included. I have an iron resolve and am tenacious as Hell and highwater, so I'd personally never veer off this track, but many people are waivering. Many people will read that and feel discouraged in themselves that they didn't do as well as they "should've", and feel that the situation is hopeless, when it isn't. In the end, it's really just some kid's opinion.
I give myself Hell over a few lousy points, and I'd hate to see others do the same. Maybe I'm too empathetic, but I always try to remember that you never really know what kind of misery someone is acquainted with, or what joy a job could bring someone.

As far as I know, no one was born being a controller, myself included. That's why I want to go to the Academy to learn. I did not receive a 100, and I'm glad that I didn't......because I am brimming with egotism, as is.

And as far as my own IQ goes, my results are exactly the reason why I do not trust the test in general. Because, if accurate, I should be conquering the Western continent, and routing out malignant auto-immune diseases, and here I am, trying to work for the Federal government. :laff:

Touche my good sir.....Touche:rawk:

One thing I have noticed is that if you put terminal only, you had a lot lower chance of being picked up. I think terminal would be great but I am greatful to have gotten a good location and enroute will still be great. I think if you really want to get in you'll pick both and be greatful for what you get.

94.7 on at-sat.

ct and ny. both terminal and enroute.

thought ny would be a decent decision since there are a ton of locations.

thought wrong.

g'day all.

Atsat- 100
B.S.--working on the master's
Pilot as a day job
IQ-131
ACT-19
Terminal only for TX & FL

But I was selected on Pubnat1 for enroute. Maybe that has something to do with it???

I am glad you have figured out how I mean to sound. With insight like that I wonder why you waste your talents on a scientific job instead of a phsychological one. If I were to take accountability I would admit to being condescending, but not snobby.

I find it humorous that whenever confronted about an extreme stand, one uses how absurd the other extreme is to justify their own extreme view. Obviously people are not born controllers, but if they cannot pass a simple test then it could inhibit their ability to learn said job.

Also, your own self admitted shortcomings are not a reason to doubt a well established method of determining intelligence. There are hordes of underachieving geniuses. It doesn't mean they lack any mental capabilities, just ambition and skill.

You don't seem like a stupid person, but I still can't see why you are taking such a radical stand. Did you not think the test was easy enough that any intelligent person who cared should have been able to reach well qualified status? Wouldn't you prefer that someone who could be the one your country invests hundreds of thousands of dollars training?

I see that others have more training than I do. I don't think I am any more qualified. But if you were going to train someone from scratch wouldn't you rather start with someone who has shown an aptitude for reasoning than someone who has had some particular job? As you stated you go to OKC and back to your facility with OJT to learn...wouldn't you want to pick someone who you thought could learn...ok, that was a little snobby:)

Back