Airnet drops the Bomb!

SpiraMirabilis,

Where did you get that info? At-will gives both the employer or employee the ability to terminate employment without any notice and without reason at anytime.

Negative. The WARN Act still applies for mass lay-offs. There are thresholds that must be met, though. What percentage of the pilot group was furloughed? I think it's somewhere around 30% when WARN notices are required.

Gotcha, I stand corrected. But whats the time frame that a WARN letter must be served? Can a company dish out WARN letters the day prior to lay-offs and satisfy this requirement?

Now, in my situation, I'm furloughed, period. So I need to buy out my apartment lease, which Airnet will normally do if they close your base. But apparently they will not do it if you are furloughed. So my whole problem is I still have 6 months on my apartment lease valued at $3000, no job with Airnet, and will have to probably move to get a new job. Unless I wait for the call ups, which I can't afford. It's not fair that I signed a lease for a year, when I was suppost to be employed by Airnet for at least a year, and now will no longer be employed. But lifes not fair! I was hoping that since they furloughed me, they would at least help me to get out of my lease. And like I said, I'm not sure if thats even a common thing for other airlines, so I don't know if I should be expecting that or not. Being furloughed is bad enough, but I can get another job, the whole lease break fee is what really screws me in this whole situation. Alright, enough whining. Just thought I would let you know, that if you do rebid and aren't getting furloughed, you will get a move paid for, not sure about lease breaks.

There are probably some things you can do to help your situation. I would talk to the leasing office. I was in the same situation (not furloughed, but moved domiciles and bought a new house) and needed to get out of my ridiculously ironclad lease. I ended up getting lucky and someone wanted my unit the month I needed to move so they just said to pay my rent and utilities for the week it was being renovated and I didn't have to pay any fees or anything. The leasing office was surprisingly helpful in getting me out. I even got a $4 refund back! Anyway that's just a long winded way of saying to call the front office. Worst case scenario is you walk...if you don't have the money you don't have it.

Negative. The WARN Act still applies for mass lay-offs. There are thresholds that must be met, though. What percentage of the pilot group was furloughed? I think it's somewhere around 30% when WARN notices are required.

There is ALOT of misinformation out there about the WARN Act (and I don't claim to be an expert!!) but if you actually read it ,It's 33% of the company's TOTAL workforce - the language doesn't differientiate between work groups, Airnet has ALOT of non-pilot employees. There may well be a legal precident that does limit it to workgroups, I didn't research that. The activation thresholds weren't met in this case. Even if you base it on the pilot group only, 55 pilots on fourlough out of 180 on the list is 30.5%. Furthermore, I believe that I read that the company expected call-backs in November, is that correct?? If it is, the WARN Act does not apply when the layoffs are expected to be 6 months or less in duration. Futhermore, just for the sake of argument, even if the activation thresholds were met - there are 3 major exceptions that mitigate the 60 day requirement and even a half-witted attorney with no experience could make 2 of them work for Airnet. The 3rd - Natural Disasters - would be a stretch. Sorry T.O. - not every labor law applies to every furlough.

On another topic - if anyone is interested in remaining in beautiful, tropical Columbus, Ohio - we (FlightSafety) are hiring for our 300% expansion over the next 3 or 4 years... I'm not sure what exact point we are at in the hiring process but if you're interested, PM me to discuss it. I may be able to help ya' out. It's a great job but it's not flying. Starting salary is north of 60.

Jason

but if you actually read it ,It's 33% of the company's TOTAL workforce - the language doesn't differientiate between work groups,

Agreed, that is how it is written, but that's not how the law has been interpreted.

The activation thresholds weren't met in this case. Even if you base it on the pilot group only, 55 pilots on fourlough out of 180 on the list is 30.5%.

That's what I figured. It takes a very large furlough to activate the WARN Act.

Sorry to hear the news guys/gals. I've been around the AirNet operation at the FBO where I have worked off and on over the last few years and I hate to see this happen. I have a lot of respect for you guys and I hope that things will get better for all of you.

Just got the call from CW. He said I did really well in the interview and he wanted to offer me job. However due to recent news, I've been placed in the hiring pool...

super

The question is, by the time the new CEO finishes gutting the company, will it still be worth working for?

The question is, by the time the new CEO finishes gutting the company, will it still be worth working for?

I was talking to a guy that was the one of the big guys for Big Sky. I was talking to him about a job he had posted and when he heard that I was being furloughed from AirNet he said "Oh, so Fred deLeeuw is at it again huh? Sounds like he's trying to run your company into the ground too."

So anyways, I don't have a crystal ball sitting next to me, but it sure wouldn't surprise me if AirNet went downhill.

Mini to answer your question, Boston is closing as a base but I most likely won't be able to hold a co-pilot spot unless there is a mass exodus from above me.
Damn. Just ...damn. That sucks. It's one thing to allow a pilot to choose a pay cut and downgrade. It's another thing altogether to force it.

Good luck man!

Damn. :mad:

-mini

Damn. Just ...damn. That sucks. It's one thing to allow a pilot to choose a pay cut and downgrade. It's another thing altogether to force it.

AirNet says they want the uniform back. Does that include my used shirts and sweater? And the warm jacket? If it does I'm double screwed, I have no other appropriate clothing for the cold weather, and shopping for clothes isn't on my list of priorities when unemployed.

They can have my polo shirts. I just want to keep my hoodie and that lighter jacket they gave us. Those things are so comfortable.

It's sad to hear about all these recent furloughs, I wish you all the best of luck. For all this time I'm hanging out on jc I've seen hiring times as well as furloughs and at one point few years back the furloughs seemed so depressing for me that I actually stopped actively persuing my own certifications and I got back after the new hiring boom started. I guess there's no easy way to be a pilot so I'll keep working on my certs and i'll take it as it comes just like all of you. Once again, best of luck you all.

Dude I have 30 dollars towards the Airnet store from E.S.C. that I will never use. It's not much but it's enough to buy a hoodie. First person who wants it gets it.

Dude I have 30 dollars towards the Airnet store from E.S.C. that I will never use. It's not much but it's enough to buy a hoodie. First person who wants it gets it.

OOO OOO OOO ME WANTS ME WANTS!!!! :nana2:

and you owe me dinner.... ;)

A lot of people still had not turned in bid sheets this morning. Are they quitting, or just waiting to submit the sheet until the last moment? Anyone have the inside scoop? If all those ppl didn't turn in a sheet, I may still have a job.

At least that's what I'll be praying and hoping for, and tell myself, so that I'll at least have some 1% probability of hope for the future.

I've sent out applications and inquiries for employment to over 15 places where I exceed the minimums, and just one phone call. And that place that called re-posted their ad the day after, so I guess I wasn't it.

Always looked fun making those subway sandwiches, being a 'sandwich artist'. But locally, subway have taken down the 'now hiring' signs. Welcome to McDonald's, how may I help you?

Back