Feds are a little out of control.

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
To top off the warnings about random pub revision checks at the gate at ONT/LAX/SNA by the FAA, here's this from the Daily Bulletin:

CONTROLLERS AS AIRSPACE POLICE?
If you've ever missed a turn, set the altitude bug incorrectly or committed any of thousands of sins that air traffic controllers routinely catch and help correct every day without much fuss, those days are apparently over. The FAA has apparently ordered controllers to violate pilots for any and all errors and has threatened to discipline them if they don't file the reports. While the FAA says it's just enforcing rules already in place, the head of the National Air Traffic Controllers Association say it's yet another burden on an already-overworked workforce that will pit controllers against pilots. "We are not the FAA police! The FAA's and controller's mission is to provide the safe and efficient movement of live air traffic," said NATCA President Patrick Forrey. "The fact that the FAA is now disciplining controllers for not 'policing' pilot actions as they relate to flight regulations is indicative of the tyrannical and oppressive culture the FAA has created." The FAA, as might be suspected, has a different view.

Doesn't the FAA have enough enforcement cases on the docket as it is? Seems like resources could be put to much better use besides punishing humans for being human.

I think the FAA wants their "Bullied Kid that Gets Some Authority As An Adult" title back from the TSA.

Probably an attempt by the administration to pit the pilots against the controllers as the controllers are coming up on possibly reopening their contract after the massive screw job they got from Congress. They certainly don't want us working together.

Doesn't the FAA have enough enforcement cases on the docket as it is? Seems like resources could be put to much better use besides punishing humans for being human.

:yeahthat:

I would be wiling to bet that ALL of the feds have made these same mistakes flying professionally or playing around in their Bonanzas. Ironic huh?

Will they get violated too when they do it? Doubt it! :rolleyes:

How very sad. The term "taking your eye off the ball" comes to mind.

As for ASAPs, when in doubt fill it out.

I called my tower when I read this, and they told me that it has always been official policy, that being said, they used to try to keep the system running as smoothely as possible, and now the feds are holding their feet to the fire. Its a shame that things are turning out this way. The FAA has got some real cahones to try stuff like this.

That is the exact same thing I have heard, and I think its a damn shame. Most controllers always seemed to take the "no harm, no foul" attitude toward things like this. Now, they're being held to a higher standard, almost as if the FAA has set a quota for violations issued. The worst part of the whole thing, is that resources that could be used to ensure smooth operation of the system are now going to be used to punish pilots for being human.

Thank God for ASAP. Remember to use it when you have even the slightest doubt about whether you did something wrong. Flood them with ASAP reports. Maybe the FAA will realize that they've gone a little bit too far when they have to have to assign inspectors to Event Review Committees full time to keep up with the ASAP reports.

Honestly I gotta say sometimes controllers are a little lax though.

Couple of weeks ago while taxiing in to park a guy in a cherokee was cleared to land on runway parallel to the taxiway.

Instead he decided to land on the taxi way, head on, to us. There was a few thousand feet of taxiway left as he completed his taxiway touch n go passing of the top of us by about 50 feet.

Controller was really cool with the guy and we all had a chuckle but still.

About an hour later the guy comes in, tops off, and procedes to taxi across an open runway and get lost somewhere on the other side.

Sometimes a little retraining is called for.

Here's on for ya. Three-man trip to Europe, I'm the "flying pilot", so all I do is program the box and fly the airplane. The relief guy takes care of the walk around and cabin items and the captain, well, just captains.

We have a FAA guy giving us a route check or whatever they're called.

He arrived late and demanded that I get out of my seat and conduct an exterior inspection of the aircraft so he could watch.

I told him nope and that it was the relief pilot's duty to conduct the exterior inspection and it was already complete... and continued to program the FMS for the flight.

He wasn't very happy.

There's something amiss going on at the FAA, I'm not sure what it is, but the administrator needs a good talking to.

Not only is the FAA getting out of control but also the TSA. They are now setting up at random times, on our PRIVATE ramp (I work for a corporate Fortune 500 Company, Aviation Department) and demanding to search our employees and passengers. Listen at how ridiculous this is, they tried to deny one of the mechanics from bringing in tool on our own ramp to service one of the airplanes. Not just a little bit out of control but way out of line.

I really hope the FAA does not come to KSYR in full force. I would have no clue what to do if they ramp checked me. Would they ramp check someone on a FBO ramp?

I really hope the FAA does not come to KSYR in full force. I would have no clue what to do if they ramp checked me. Would they ramp check someone on a FBO ramp?

Show them what they ask for? Not really to big of an issue unless you dont like to carry your medical or license?

And yes.

......But Southwest will still be exempt from the rules as usual, right?!

Yes.

As for the FAA - fuggum. Let them try to violate every pilot for every little "error" a pilot makes.

In turn, there should be a governing body that is listening on the upteen THOUSAND times an controller screws up... PER DAY... and take that directly out of their pay check....let alone - fire their sorry asses.

They will. Do NOT let them in the airplane.

Answer their questions, with yes or no. Say nothing else. All they are allowed to ask for is your license and medical. However, if they ask to take a look inside the airplane, and you CONSENT, they have free reign to look over the documents in the aircraft. If you do not consent to a search of the aircraft, they may request to see the documents/logbooks in writing.

So in short: Be polite, introduce yourself. If they ask to take a look inside, say "if you would like to see documents, please make that request in writing."

I guess 90 percent of the time they will find something in the airplane to violate you for...

Show them what they ask for? Not really to big of an issue unless you dont like to carry your medical or license?

And yes.

Again, do NOT let them in the airplane. They WILL find something to violate you for. Show them your medical and license ONLY. :)

Probably an attempt by the administration to pit the pilots against the controllers as the controllers are coming up on possibly reopening their contract after the massive screw job they got from Congress. They certainly don't want us working together.

That's what I was thinking!!

Back