Feds are a little out of control.

It's a sign of the times. After the public bitch-slapping laid on the FAA by the media about all the MX fiascos at the large 121 carriers, it was coming down the pipe.

The controllers today, are the same ones we've had for years (of course not Mr Congressman....we're properly staffed, feel free to divert the budget where ever it'll best be used). Just like your bosses tell you to be the hat police. Sure some will file things, just like before, but most don't want to be bothered with the paperwork. Remember, they are only allowed 3 DEALS before they get the axe, if I remember correctly.

If I remember correctly, the new admin decided that punitive action was better than cooperative action. Of course, the enforcement cycle is like anything else. Then when a new administration hits 1600 Pennsylvania or a new Admin runs the show, things will change. It's an election year, so it's obvious laying down the law, especially on CNN will win votes. Because FAA+ punitive = fixin 40 years of airspace infrastructure neglect and will divert the public's attention from them robbing the aviation trust fund for other uses, instead of using it to actually ALLOW FAA oversight.

What can I recommend?
1) Review the 8900 regarding FAA enforcement/ramp checks
2) ASAP for you 121 Guys that have it (Union negotiate bennie...)
3) NASA/ASRS or what eva you wanna call it
4) AOPA membership $40/ATP legal $129 a year.
5) Call your local tower and/or center and take a tour, and meet the NATCA reps.

I had a conversation about this with one of the UPS pilots and another person who worked on the FAA's safety committee at this past OBAP convention. It goes so far that if you so much as read back something incorrectly (such as a heading change without even making the turn towards the wrong headng and the controller has to corrects you) it is to be filed as a controller save. You might have to answer up to some of these simple mistakes that we all make everyday flying professionally. Another thing that he talked about was stricter allowances for deviation all tracks for oceanic flights. I don't know what the FAA is trying to prove. The lady from the safety committee had no idea these types of rules were being made.

Probably an attempt by the administration to pit the pilots against the controllers as the controllers are coming up on possibly reopening their contract after the massive screw job they got from Congress. They certainly don't want us working together.

Riiiiight...Its a HUUUUUUUUGE conspiracy. Since we pilots lobby for controllers and all and vice versa.

What can I recommend?
1) Review the 8900 regarding FAA enforcement/ramp checks
2) ASAP for you 121 Guys that have it (Union negotiate bennie...)
3) NASA/ASRS or what eva you wanna call it
4) AOPA membership $40/ATP legal $129 a year.
5) Call your local tower and/or center and take a tour, and meet the NATCA reps.

Just to add to this list, for those of you in ALPA, if you get in a situation, don't talk to ANYONE until you call the number on the back of your membership card. Seriously. That's one of the reasons I really don't mind paying dues is the "career insurance" that number provides....

It's funny... Talking with a friend about possibly going into Law Enforcement, one of the biggest things he didn't like was all the scrutiny you are constantly under from your boss and the general public. He figured that was reason enough to stay in aviation. Go figure! :rolleyes:

In turn, there should be a governing body that is listening on the upteen THOUSAND times an controller screws up... PER DAY... and take that directly out of their pay check....let alone - fire their sorry asses.

You're playing right into their hands. The Admin wants to pit us against each other. Don't fall for it. The controllers aren't the bad guy. They're just fellow members of organized labor trying to do their job and having to deal with scumbag managers. The bad guy here is the Administration. Don't forget that. NATCA is good people.

Riiiiight...Its a HUUUUUUUUGE conspiracy. Since we pilots lobby for controllers and all and vice versa.

You really are clueless. I've walked multiple picket lines with NATCA controllers. They happily show up to support us and vice versa. ALPA works very closely with NATCA.

Someone mentioned getting ramp checked on a corporate ramp by TSA agents and it reminded me of an article I read in USA today a few days ago that said "security for corporate aircraft is a concern" ...something about aircraft over 12,500 lbs will be treated as say airline traffic in terms of the type of security the TSA would like them to have. Something to look forward to? I hope not!

I for one think that its about time that this happens, its about time that we start earning that high wage, and stop being unprofessional. Everyone knows that pilots are compleatly lax in the cockpit and need some structure in our lives.

You play with the FAA's money, you with with their emotions, Smokeyyy.

FAA to Southwest: Pay $10M fine by Aug. 29

(AP) Southwest Airlines Co. must pay a proposed $10.2-million fine by Aug. 29 or the matter of not grounding planes that missed safety inspections will be referred to the U.S. Attorney's office, the Federal Aviation Administration said.

The FAA determined the penalty, announced in March, "is appropriate," the regulator said in an Aug. 12 letter to Dane Jaques, a lawyer for Southwest. The FAA reviewed information Southwest presented April 28, according to FAA regional counsel Lynette Word, who signed the letter. The agency "will refer the case to the United States Attorney's office for whatever action they deem appropriate," should Southwest fail to submit the payment, Word said. FAA spokeswoman Laura Brown released the letter yesterday.

The FAA said on March 6 that Dallas-based Southwest operated 46 Boeing Co. 737s on 59,791 flights in 2006 and 2007 without fuselage inspections.

Southwest hasn't yet decided how to respond to the letter, said Beth Harbin, a spokeswoman for the airline.

The FAA had imposed the $10.2-million civil penalty in April against Southwest for not grounding planes that had missed inspections. A former chief maintenance worker for the FAA who was blamed for allowing Southwest Airlines to keep the planes flying retired in June.

Southwest has acknowledged that some of its aging Boeing 737s flew to Long Island MacArthur Airport in the Town of Islip, opening the possibility that Long Islanders may have flown on planes that were not properly inspected. The older-model 737 300-series jets were at the center of Southwest's inspection problems.

http://www.newsday.com/business/ny-bzsout0818,0,429801.story

You really are clueless. I've walked multiple picket lines with NATCA controllers. They happily show up to support us and vice versa. ALPA works very closely with NATCA.

He's right. Last walk around the parking lot in uniform holding signs at Pinnacle, there were a few controllers out there with us. If you do some research, you'll find ALPA was actually trying to help settle the PATCO issue before it had the results it did.

Not only is the FAA getting out of control but also the TSA. They are now setting up at random times, on our PRIVATE ramp (I work for a corporate Fortune 500 Company, Aviation Department) and demanding to search our employees and passengers. Listen at how ridiculous this is, they tried to deny one of the mechanics from bringing in tool on our own ramp to service one of the airplanes. Not just a little bit out of control but way out of line.

TSA is a joke!!!!

Side story....but in ATL they have started "color coding" security lines for expert, novice travelers...I presume to make security lines move faster. Anyways I had a TSA agent tell me that because "I was wearing jeans and a T shirt" I had to move to the novice line. Nevermind the fact that I travel 5-6 times a month. I just smiled and thought what a waste of tax payers dollars...

Yeah, the separate lines are an absolute joke.

The "Novice" lines were empty, the "Leisure" lines had a few people in them and the "Expert Traveler" lines were full of strollers and passengers adorning bangles like they were Mr. T.

BTW, what the hell's up with the TSA in CVG? One of these guys held their hand up like we were dogs doing agility trials, the other two pilots waited, but then I went to a free agent to check my ID. THEN he had someone walk up to me to tell me at the X-Ray and notify me that I was told to wait and that I was unable to go to a free agent.

Riiiiiiiiiight, Waldo. Sorry you were picked on in grade school but now ain't yo time! :)

Yeah, the separate lines are an absolute joke.

The "Novice" lines were empty, the "Leisure" lines had a few people in them and the "Expert Traveler" lines were full of strollers and passengers adorning bangles like they were Mr. T.

BTW, what the hell's up with the TSA in CVG? One of these guys held their hand up like we were dogs doing agility trials, the other two pilots waited, but then I went to a free agent to check my ID. THEN he had someone walk up to me to tell me at the X-Ray and notify me that I was told to wait and that I was unable to go to a free agent.

Riiiiiiiiiight, Waldo. Sorry you were picked on in grade school but now ain't yo time! :)

One more reason to stay part 135.

Back